Three camps at once in a siege.

Started by Elixiar, January 18, 2017, 07:06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elixiar

Just one is hardly a challenge.

A real siege should have 3 seperate camps drop at once, with 2-3 guards patrolling around between each of the camps.

That way they are a threat like they should be, and can't just be ignored until they decide to give up or rush the colony.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

TK

To add to this, the sieging pirates' reaction to snipers is not very amusing. Instead of ducking for cover the instant they hear sniper fire, they just.. walk in the open, even if the snipers pick off a couple of them. Usually the siegers have had one sniper of their own, this sad corpse also stayed in the open while dueling my snipers who are in cover. This makes siege-defending quite trivial.

Elixiar

I think the issue is the sniper rifles personally, I feel they stand out in the game as being more of a nuisance than anything else. If a sniper has line of sight, then that is where all pawn line of sight should be.
But yes, I just think sieges need some love.
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

JuicyPVP

I agree sieges are weak. To me they are basically free steel and guns. I would like to see maybe more defenders, or more instances like your suggesting. Maybe one siege group, but also a defense group that sets up a larger perimeter? IDK. It IS too easy as is.

I disagree that snipers are too OP. It is a sniper rifle. A high skilled shooter (18-20) with a high quality sniper should be able to wipe sieges out. It is a camp of people sitting around a mortar. Light 'em up. Not like its an assaulting force running through a forest. I think the aim/load time helps balance this. A sniper gets wrecked if they try to take on an assaulting force.

MikeLemmer

Eh, I personally feel Sieges are already the nastiest type of pirate raid (just above sappers/grenades) and am really iffy whether they actually need buffing or not; I've had 1-2 bases get wrecked by them good, and they already feel like a big jump up in difficulty compared to the usual raids. If there's going to be multi-camp sieges, I would suggest upping the # of sieges and making them an eventual upgrade from single-camp sieges.

(Also, enemy snipers during sieges are my bane, especially if my colonists haven't gotten sniper rifles themselves yet.)

JuicyPVP

Quote from: MikeLemmer on January 18, 2017, 03:56:46 PM
Eh, I personally feel Sieges are already the nastiest type of pirate raid (just above sappers/grenades) and am really iffy whether they actually need buffing or not; I've had 1-2 bases get wrecked by them good, and they already feel like a big jump up in difficulty compared to the usual raids. If there's going to be multi-camp sieges, I would suggest upping the # of sieges and making them an eventual upgrade from single-camp sieges.

(Also, enemy snipers during sieges are my bane, especially if my colonists haven't gotten sniper rifles themselves yet.)

The first one can be very hard, yes, but after that you should steal their mortars and install them in your own base. Whhhalla. Now you can fire shells at sieges while they are building their sandbags/mortars. Incendiary mortar works best. The enemy pawns will stop building to put out the fires even if your shells don't hit the pawns themselves. Then after a few pawns are badly hurt you can just send your people out to mop up.

MikeLemmer

Quote from: JuicyPVP on January 18, 2017, 04:08:49 PMThe first one can be very hard, yes, but after that you should steal their mortars and install them in your own base. Whhhalla. Now you can fire shells at sieges while they are building their sandbags/mortars. Incendiary mortar works best. The enemy pawns will stop building to put out the fires even if your shells don't hit the pawns themselves. Then after a few pawns are badly hurt you can just send your people out to mop up.

Granted, but as you admit yourself, that first siege is still a doozy. And frankly, I can't remember a single game where I had two Sieges before I built my spaceship. Maybe that's part of why mortars aren't very useful ATM.