[1.0] EdB Prepare Carefully - v1.0.13 (28 Jul 2019)

Started by EdB, September 21, 2014, 12:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bolty

Quote from: Kiame on June 23, 2018, 02:32:54 AM
For anyone who can't play without this great mod here's a totally unofficial version of PrepareCarefully for 1.0.

https://github.com/KiameV/EdBPrepareCarefully/releases/download/unofficial/EdBPrepareCarefully-unofficial.zip

I am not going to be supporting this fully and I'm sure there are bugs scattered throughout.
There is a bug that if a pawn is added to the default starting roster it will prevent the game from starting due to errors - to avoid, don't add any pawns with this unofficial 1.0 version of prepare carefully (3 pawns for crash land, 5 for tribal, 1 for rich dude, etc)

Edb as soon as you mention you're updating this for 1.0 or you would like me to remove this mod say so and I will remove it.

Thanks Kiame. Certainly helps a lot for those of us who have become far too reliant on this mod lol. Of course when EdB updates his mod to 1.0, I'll remove the unofficial version.  :)

Walkaboutout

Quote from: Kiame on June 23, 2018, 02:32:54 AM
For anyone who can't play without this great mod here's a totally unofficial version of PrepareCarefully for 1.0.

https://github.com/KiameV/EdBPrepareCarefully/releases/download/unofficial/EdBPrepareCarefully-unofficial.zip

I am not going to be supporting this fully and I'm sure there are bugs scattered throughout.
There is a bug that if a pawn is added to the default starting roster it will prevent the game from starting due to errors - to avoid, don't add any pawns with this unofficial 1.0 version of prepare carefully (3 pawns for crash land, 5 for tribal, 1 for rich dude, etc)

Edb as soon as you mention you're updating this for 1.0 or you would like me to remove this mod say so and I will remove it.

Kiame, you are beautifully wonderful! Thank you for this, and for a clear explanation on the limits for it. An awesome temporary stop-gap measure!

EDIT
Just a note that I was able to add additional people to the roster and start a game; see EDIT 3 for a workaround of this issue. I'm running no other mods whatsoever. It's possible then that, at least without one other single mod, you might still be able to add people and start a game. Might at least be worth trying, since it seems to be hit and miss. But, of course, do not in any way ignore Kiame's warning on this folks.

I cannot load presets of characters (though I only had one to try). I was, however, able to load characters from saved characters, but with a few issues. For example, Green Thumb the trait has been removed, so my character loaded missing it. Also, I had a character background or two get changed spontaneously for some of the characters I loaded from old saved characters.

None of this is a big issue really. I'm just thrilled it works, even if only partially. Again, thank you so much Kiame!

EDIT 2
I just discovered that I can load saved characters from my old version of Prepare Carefully (as mentioned above), except where Bionics were concerned. However, I also discovered that if I save a character (or overwrite an old saved character), that character will both not save properly, and will not load up properly either, after that.

So just a warning to all; it looks like the saving function for characters (and as mentioned in my first edit, presets) is broken. You can load up old characters with some things changed on them (particularly their backgrounds it seems), as long as they didn't have bionics, but you can't save a character and then load them, from what I'm experiencing. You can still use the mod though to create custom characters. Hope this helps anyone trying this out!

EDIT 3, with workaround for not being able to hit "Start" with your customized roster.
Turns out I experienced and (at least the two times I tried this) got around Kiame's described issue of not being able to launch into the game when you hit the "Start" button from the Prepare Carefully customize window. If you add someone to the roster, or even if you remove and replace the existing roster, when you're done you hit "Start", of course. You get a confirmation, and then you SHOULD launch into the game. However if you've added characters to your roster or even maybe removed them (?), it seems that the game will just drop you back out to the initial character window, where you were before you pressed the "Prepare Carefully" button.

When this happens, notice that you see your character list as customized by you, but likely it shows the currently selected character as being one of the original characters the game rolled up before you went in and customized your own. All you have to do is click on one of your own characters in the customized roster. The active character then changes to the details window of which ever one you clicked on, and doing this seems to then allow you to hit "Start" from there, and launch into the game, customized characters and all.

Canute

You shouldn't load any presets from previously Rimworld releases anyway.

Baladas

Syrchalis

Seems like the newest version of RW broke the mod again, at least I can't play with it enabled as it throws endless errors on startup and makes the game disable all mods.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

viperwasp

Quote from: Syrchalis on June 30, 2018, 06:09:54 AM
Seems like the newest version of RW broke the mod again, at least I can't play with it enabled as it throws endless errors on startup and makes the game disable all mods.

One thing? Can't you turn an opinion off in the settings that makes it so the mods don't get disabled when these types of errors happen?
•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

Kiame

there is that option. The annoying part is it's off by default so each time you toggle dev mode you also need to toggle that setting.

Seeing as there is a version  of PC in development i probably wont update my version

Syrchalis

Quote from: viperwasp on June 30, 2018, 02:03:24 PM
One thing? Can't you turn an opinion off in the settings that makes it so the mods don't get disabled when these types of errors happen?
Yeah, but that doesn't help, because I can't load a game with this mod. Mod active -> game bugs out, endless errors (before loading a game), mod inactive -> game broken, endless errors (after loading the save).

I'll have to wait for an update. Until then I'll play a new save without EdB.
For mod support visit the steam pages of my mods, Github or if necessary, write me a PM on Discord. Usually you will find the best help in #troubleshooting in the RimWorld discord.

whitebunny

I know this isn't your mod and all but Please save us Miqote wizard, i can't play without this mod anymore.

Kiame

Quote from: whitebunny on June 30, 2018, 09:20:53 PM
I know this isn't your mod and all but Please save us Miqote wizard, i can't play without this mod anymore.

Paladin actually  ;D

At this point the code that's broken is out of my areas of expertise modding wise. I know Edb is getting updated and due to the size of this mod it's not a easy task. What I had done previously is just get it to compile and fix a few easy things - in no way actually getting it ready for 1.0. At this point in time I am focused on keeping my other mods (18 in total now  :o ) updated as new unstable versions roll out and right now there are a few that need updating.

Canute

Don't forget notfood update this mod too (Github before 14 days).
Since the main unstable game get updated at daily base, many modder wait for the final release.

Kiame

Haha i couldn't stay away...

I've uploaded a new unofficial prep carefully version that appears to work. I've modified parts of this mod that I have no confidence in so to a point use this at your own risk.

https://github.com/KiameV/EdBPrepareCarefully/releases/download/1.0/EdBPrepareCarefully-unofficial.zip

Bolty

Quote from: Kiame on July 02, 2018, 12:41:09 AM
Haha i couldn't stay away...

I've uploaded a new unofficial prep carefully version that appears to work. I've modified parts of this mod that I have no confidence in so to a point use this at your own risk.

https://github.com/KiameV/EdBPrepareCarefully/releases/download/1.0/EdBPrepareCarefully-unofficial.zip

Haha, cheers Kiame. Can't wait for the stable 1.0 release. Then I can have my mods back!  :)

EdB

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am working on a version of the mod for 1.0.  There is a test release available on github:
https://github.com/edbmods/EdBPrepareCarefully/releases/

Thanks to everyone who put in the time and effort to fork the code repo to get a version of the mod working with 1.0.  Apologies that I was away and not checking the forums/Steam.

Kiame

no worries edb  :)

If there's a test version on your end i'll take my hacked version down. I'd much prefer people were testing against yours

And thank you for the continued support for this great mod