[RW-1.0.2059] Medieval Times (v. 1.974.B-19 (Updated-10/22/2018))

Started by Vindar, July 27, 2016, 11:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gadjung

bumping question about adding leathers to smithy recipes (steel plated boots, x with winter coat, etc)

Vindar

Quote from: gadjung on September 06, 2016, 08:26:05 AM
bumping question about adding leathers to smithy recipes (steel plated boots, x with winter coat, etc)

not sure i can do that without it messing with the graphic's colors.

also originally had something like that on some armor's / clothes and removed it to make the mod more simple. 

Simplicity is king, already make some stuff more complicated than it should be, If i go full complex it'll likely turn alotta people off and make the mod less playable for most people. (even for myself)

Deimos Rast

Quote from: Vindar on September 07, 2016, 07:45:24 AM
Quote from: gadjung on September 06, 2016, 08:26:05 AM

not sure i can do that without it messing with the graphic's colors.

also originally had something like that on some armor's / clothes and removed it to make the mod more simple. 

Simplicity is king, already make some stuff more complicated than it should be, If i go full complex it'll likely turn alotta people off and make the mod less playable for most people. (even for myself)
I quite agree with you. But I think from a technical perspective it's maybe possible to do a colorgenerator comp with predefined outputs. Not sure, not something I've used before.
#StopPluginAbuse

Vindar

Updated to (v. 1.29.A15c) -because it's better than 1.28-
- Added new station "Food Prep Station"
- Added new Station "Smokehouse"
- Nerfed blunt defense on tiered armor
- Various stat tweaks
- Increased research cost slightly on certain techs
- Added new Item "Fancy Icebox"
- Fixed Tailoring station bug

--------------------------

Updated:
(v. 1.30.A15c)
- Added new weapon "Gisarme"
- fixed fancy icebox graphic bug.
- re-fixed cold-wear spawn issue.
- minor tweaks / changes.

FSUYevon

Is there anyway to change the size of the Medieval raids? They seem a little unbalanced at the moment, being the same size as a tribal raid but with WAY better gear.

Vindar

Quote from: FSUYevon on September 08, 2016, 08:19:46 AM
Is there anyway to change the size of the Medieval raids? They seem a little unbalanced at the moment, being the same size as a tribal raid but with WAY better gear.

If i remember right i decreased the frequency that they should attack. however if you want to decrease their attack numbers further you can always edit the mod for yourself.

to decrease the amount of attackers simply go into:

Defs/PawnKindDefs_Humanlikes/  MedievalTimes_Pawnkinds_Classes.XML

than increase the numbers of the lines with:

<combatPower>??</combatPower>

according to your preference.

---------------------

As to reason why I wont do it on the core mod myself, The spawn numbers of attackers in the mod has already been nerfed 3x. I always intended the medieval attackers to be a supped up version of tribals, meaning tougher and in greater numbers. If you set up your defences properly both tribals and medieval raiders at this point can be fairly easy to beat(and do so without casualties), the real threat being gun using factions or mechnoids.

FSUYevon

Thanks for the quick reply. I like doing No Turrets / Traps runs, so the large numbers of Medieval raiders can be devastating without good weapons. I guess me saying they were "unbalanced" is a bit silly when I'm challenging myself with no Turrets and the like. :p

Goosedown

I've fought off a few pretty sizable raids from the medieval factions without taking much in the way of losses now. I've found that it becomes pretty important to make a castle setup at your entrance. A couple spaced out layers of spiked barricades, some traps scattered in between, and my colonists shooting from behind walls with the sandbag replacer rampart thingy between the walls to be very effective.

The most important part is killing enough of them that the whole group runs away(About half?). My normal tactic is to kill a few while they climb over the spikes, then retreat my colonists behind a door where i have a melee-ers to each side and archers with some cover aiming  straight at the door. When they break through they aggro the melee guys and get wrecked by the archers.
And when you get murder holes? Oh boy layered defenses.
See:
http://imgur.com/e9LgBjV
Slightly old pic of my front line but shows the idea. This one is with embrasures(Importantly they can crawl through it slowly, which allows the ranged enemies to shoot through them)

Also, thank you so much for this mod Vindar. You've made this game so much more fun than it already was. :D

Deimos Rast

#StopPluginAbuse

Goosedown

No problem!
I've noticed that a lot of people's idea of defenses is to throw everything they have into one line of defense. which works well enough until something unexpected happens and they have nowhere to fall back to. Having functional embrasures, ballista, catapults, spikes, and murder holes allows for more layered defenses so that you can give up ground and wear down the attackers. 'Tis a lot more realistic and fun in my opinion.  :P

jecrell

First and foremost, thank god for people like you and making such amazing content. You are awesome!
I'm trying to make my own castle, and one thing I'd love to see added are portcullis or castle gates.
Thank you again, and have a wonderful day.
...Psst. Still there? If you'd like to support
me and my works, do check out my Patreon.
Someday, I could work for RimWorld full time!

https://www.patreon.com/jecrell

Renren

Hey there! I've really, really come to enjoy this mod for what it brings to the table and how much it adds to my RimWorld gameplay, but I've run into a performance problem where the game will freeze anywhere from 30 seconds to upwards of a minute whenever a caravan or raid comes in. I've asked a few friends who use the mod as well and they tell me they experience the same problem. Is this something that's known? Maybe some issues with other mods running? I have a whole lot installed into the game.

Vindar

Quote from: Renren on September 10, 2016, 02:49:31 PM
Hey there! I've really, really come to enjoy this mod for what it brings to the table and how much it adds to my RimWorld gameplay, but I've run into a performance problem where the game will freeze anywhere from 30 seconds to upwards of a minute whenever a caravan or raid comes in. I've asked a few friends who use the mod as well and they tell me they experience the same problem. Is this something that's known? Maybe some issues with other mods running? I have a whole lot installed into the game.

It's known and is the result of lag from item sorting on character creations (to my knowledge)

not sure what i can do about it, I've been trying to simplify some of the stuff to decrease lag, but still get issues. at this point not sure theirs much i can do.

Topper

Could you please host this somewhere other than the nexus for non-steam folks. Nexus requires logging in and making an account for files over 2 mb. Also what does one modify to reduce the number of raids. Medevil times raids seem to happen far more often than regular rim world types and the medieval gear is overwhelming my stockpiles

oreganor

QuoteI've fought off a few pretty sizable raids from the medieval factions without taking much in the way of losses now. I've found that it becomes pretty important to make a castle setup at your entrance. A couple spaced out layers of spiked barricades, some traps scattered in between, and my colonists shooting from behind walls with the sandbag replacer rampart thingy between the walls to be very effective.

Medieval raids have an excess of melee fighters which makes them easier to defeat by rows of traps along walls and "bait pawns" that move fast. By the time enemy archers are in possition melee section of the raid is badly crippled or dead, triggering a full defeat with just 1 or 2 ranged enemy casualties.

As with anything related to traps just take advantage of the fact that friendlies will avoid them if there is room (And they cheat as they can travel through diagonals) while enemies will not.

On most my colonies I always put traps along walls and on width 2 corridors precissely to counter the speed of melee heavy raids. Examples below of my current A15 one:

Trapped Corridor (I could go as far as placing them closer leaving just single cell gaps in the diagonals... But those spike traps are expensive :) )

And this is how my external walls look like:

Contributions:
Melee Skill Rebalance