Firefly

Started by ChromeDemonxXx, October 16, 2013, 11:41:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thubin

Quote from: GC13 on October 16, 2013, 12:56:05 PM
So, I ask you fans of Firefly: what video clip could you show me to put the show's best foot forward? In the past I've considered buying the series due to its high popularity, but even the "best of" clips don't do anything for me. The main character in particular struck me as poorly acted, like he was a touch too cartoonish for me to believe if I remember right.

This is one my my favorite scenes on YouTube. The look on Jayne's face (the guy in the airlock) when he realizes he screwed over his adopted family is one of the finer dramatic moments in the series.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjgGWOpksEw

What myself and a lot of my friends enjoy about it is Joss Whedon's dialogue, but more importantly how seamlessly the show will go from humor to dark and do it so well.
"If at first you don't succeed; that's a data point."
"No, if at first you don't succeed; you fail, and the test will be terminated."

Robitski

That was what was so nice about it; a perfect balance of humor and seriousness. Not many shows can pull that off. And I did like how sometimes an episode would give a break by being funny almost all the way through (like Jaynestown).
At least 3.5% more reliable than a garden strimmer.

Thubin

The scene I was looking for was the one at the end of Serenity (Pilot) where Mal and Simon are on the bridge. Simon wonders why Mal says it's a good day when all these terrible things have just happened; and he simply says "we're still flying."  I think that sums up the spirit of the show the best, as well as their fan base.
"If at first you don't succeed; that's a data point."
"No, if at first you don't succeed; you fail, and the test will be terminated."

b0rsuk

I'm not a browncoat. I merely like the show, in part because it's so short (14 episodes). I hate serials and multi-tome novels.

If you like Firefly, don't watch Serenity unless you're a fan. The word "fan" comes from "fanatic", that's what I mean. No spoilers below.

Things I like in Firefly are not in Serenity. There are very few crew interactions, poor dialogue. I'm not a native english speaker so I watch most movies with subtitles in case I miss something. Serenity has much shorter sentences (and they're dumb!) than Firefly.

Characters feel flat. The movie could be improved if three of them were replaced with wooden planks with mean faces drawn on them. This is Simon, Mal, and Zoe. Of course Zoe was quite dull already, but when you have THREE characters who are essentially copies of each other, that's not helping. Mal's father-like behavior in Firefly could be tiresome, but at least he was brilliantly sarcastic. Simon is not so much mature, as has his character completely replaced. He doesn't show a single moment of weakness in Serenity. I said three ? Make that five. River in the show is a brilliant - she oscillates between emotionally broken, vulnerable, and insane hazard to the crew. In the movie she's a corny japanese horror girl with a mean wooden plank expression. And the main opponent is a pompous buffoon as well ! Literally half of the cast made me hate them.

Speaking of bad guys, in Serenity they don't hold a candle to Niska, Badger, or the trash girl.

Wash was barely there. Same as Book, and Kaylee. If you have trouble fleshing out as many characters in such a timeframe, don't. Make only 5 of them appear.

There were less than 5 moments in the movie where the dialog made me smile.

The movie tried very hard to be a Hollywood spectacle. It reminded me why I prefer books for most part. I've been picking my movies more carefully recently and I haven't stepped into bombastic Hollywood crap for quite a while. Until Serenity. I'm of the opinion Firefly benefited from a low budget. One exception is more colorful and less Earth-like planets. But I wasn't bothered by "space western" before and I liked the run-down and rusty look of the ship in Firefly.

Those things bothered me more than what they've done to Reavers. I hate retcons, because to me it's shows lack of respect to the audience. I don't trust you if you tell me things didn't happen as you earlier described. But the worst part is, there was no benefit from the retcon. They've taken something quite allright and replaced it with something worse.

I literally like the pilot of Firefly more than Serenity. The comparison works because the pilot also introduced the crew, and Reavers. If they made a 30 minute longer version of the pilot, it would be a better movie.

The music in Serenity is totally generic and forgettable. Even ambients in Firefly had more oomph. I understand they were probably out of reach for legal reasons, but they went with the standard Hollywood approach.

Seriously, what is there to like about Serenity ? I won't even say the characters we know and like, because they didn't act like Wash, Jayne, Simon, River, Mal, Inara, Kaylee. To me Serenity feels like a high budget fanfic, written by someone else.

Kirid

Jayne's Ballad - The Hero of Canton
My favorite part. Seems like a nice song unless you know the story behind it and what a huge dick Jayne is.

Also, they technically aren't "Good Guys" There aren't many shows that follow bad guys and can get sympathy. They are actually really selfish, every decision they make is either for money or to save themselves.
You can't rollerskate in a muffalo herd

Vagabond

Hello,

In case there is a fan out there that is unaware of the new Firefly game, Check this out.

Keep Flyin',
Michael

Coenmcj

Quote from: Vagabond on March 18, 2015, 11:38:49 PM
Hello,

In case there is a fan out there that is unaware of the new Firefly game, Check this out.

Keep Flyin',
Michael

You bloody legend! Cheers!
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite