Exploiting Heaters for Profit!

Started by Mattorious, December 11, 2014, 12:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milon

Quote from: keylocke on December 12, 2014, 12:41:30 AM
-so i did a similar experiment, but instead of steam gen i created a flower grow zone surrounded by stone walls. (flames boost the room heat rather quickly, more flames = more heat). use no-roof zone to grow flowers, then remove no-roof zone when enemies get near the room (to seal it)

-if it's winter, just construct cheap wooden furniture inside the room as substitute

-once the enemies get near the room, throw a couple of molotovs on the flowers/furniture.

-while the enemies are busy trying to kill the flame or running around while burning, trap them inside by removing the door prop (as you suggested)

-it's easy to reach +1000c in a very short time in a closed room if you have enough flames.

#notes :
-my above design is wonky. since if enemies reach the flames too soon, their items would also burn up with the flames... so i think a dual "room" separated by zigzag sandbags (no door between them) design would be better.

-first "room" is the entry hall, which would keep/distract most of the raiders as they bang on the walls
-2nd "room" will contain the flaming zone.

-in theory, most of the loot will be dropped in or near the first room. saving them from the fire.

Holy mackinaw!  I think you've got it!  I would just add this: Use sandbags in Room 1 to both slow raiders and prevent fire from reaching the dropped loot.  And use a Wooden (unpowered) door between Room 1 & Room 2.  Either raiders or fire will dispose of it, and then it gets real warm.  :D  The trick will be to minimize the size of Room 1 + Room 2 (to max heat), while maximizing the colonists' access to the other end of Room 2 (for your molotov guys).

keylocke

well i just tested it out..

it seems that even though i kept the door propped open to let the enemies inside, they would still target that open door randomly and eventually breaking the "seal" of the room.. they also keep swapping between different targets so they don't stay in one place for too long..

also, burning furniture doesn't generate as much heat and as fast as a large flower growzone would.

all in all, it's just too much hassle to maintain and operate temperature-based killboxes.. if someone could come up with a more viable solution (ie : much less hassle to operate) and perhaps post a video, that would be nice..  ;D