What does "pressing the rotate buttons on the left" mean?

Started by Grack, April 22, 2022, 11:06:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grack

Hello, I'm a beginner in English.
When I was looking at RimWorld in English, I found something like "pressing the rotate buttons on the left" in the SteamDeck operating instructions.
What does this "rotate buttons" mean?
What is the meaning of the plural?

I wonder why "rotate buttons" means "Thunmbstick", so why not use the word "Thunmbstick"?

Canute

Welcome,
i am not sure what you realy mean.
But when i read rotate buttons, i think at the button to rotate a blueprint.

Grack

This is the text you will see in the tutorial when you play RimWorld on Steam Deck.

"Your colonists will now build the room! Now they need somewhere to sleep.
Place three BEDS inside the room. Find them in the FURNITURE category.
You can rotate the building by pressing the rotate buttons on the left."

The last sentence is the problem.
I'm at a loss because I don't know what these "rotate buttons" are and why they are plural.

Canute

I am not a native english speaker too, but the text is pretty clear for me.
When you select a bed to build these button, you see at the image i posted before, will appear at the left side. Alternative the key's Q and E are assigen for the rotating too (ok i think that don't be on steam deck).
If you can see these things, i think something is wrong with the port for that console.
Since i don't own steam deck, i only can give you the hint to try out your other stick and all the button/cross if they do the job and let the bed rotate.

Grack

Thank you.
According to the description, instead of pressing the Q and E keys, it seems to press the "rotate buttons" on the left.
I'm in trouble because I don't understand the meaning of this "rotate buttons".

I think it means "Thumbstick" in context, but why use the word "rotate buttons"?
And why is it plural?

I don't have a Steam Deck either, so I can only guess.

Canute

QuoteI think it means "Thumbstick" in context, but why use the word "rotate buttons"?
And why is it plural?
I think it is because the steam deck port, just got a port to work on it or just used the regular linux version.
Then the text don't got adjusted for the steam deck, and it is the same for the regular desktop version, and like you see at the picture there are 2 buttons, thats prolly why it is plural.

Feel free to post a bug report, at the bug section. Special when you can made screenshot's (not sure if you can made these with the steam deck, if not maybe a good picture with the mobile phone maybe).

Grack

I thought there was only one "the rotate buttons on the left", but the idea is that there are two "the rotate buttons".
I understand the meaning of the plural.

I understand that there may be a problem with how to get the name of the button name.
I will report it as a bug.

Thank you for taking the time to consult me.

txurrasko

Hi Grack

I don't know specifically the controls on the Steam Deck, but in most games to rotate something you use the triggers, either L1/R1 or L2/R2. The text is confusing because it's the same as the PC version and uses that version's controller, which uses a keyboard.
feo, friqui e fracasado