Wild and Wacky Biomes

Started by JimmyAgnt007, December 17, 2015, 01:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimmyAgnt007

Im not sure we would want monoliths to have too many complicated features but either way they should be large and immovable.  So players need to choose to build where they want or right near one.  Maybe have different kinds of monoliths dedicated to different void gods.

Aside from monoliths, Id love to have an empty rock less biome with minimal trees.  Something simple where we struggle for all resources except food. 

A Friend

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on January 05, 2016, 10:04:56 AM
Aside from monoliths, Id love to have an empty rock less biome with minimal trees.  Something simple where we struggle for all resources except food.

An area that underwent napalm/nuclear bombardment perhaps?
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

JimmyAgnt007

Well maybe, but im thinking soil fertile enough to grow crops, like a regular temperate zone.  Just trees dont spawn like they used too.  Maybe 0.01% of normal frequency.

Though for your idea, the whole terrain could be gravel on the rim and melted glass in the middle.  Radiation is below harmful levels but all resources need to be collected from off the map and food only grows (poorly) on the edges most likely to be raided.

Also, another event idea, for my rockless open planes.  Something that works with anything.  A meteor event.  Strikes with the force of a few artillery shells, lights a few fires, and leaves rock chunks at the impact site.  Devastating if it hits you but also some chunks contain uranium, gold, other things that might come up. 

silverskin

Mutant Jungle
An incredibly aggressive jungle, composed of plants grown out of control by failed genetic modification. Plants grow very fast and will literally overgrow and attack your structures. Vines can grow next to walls and will damage them. I'd like to see graphics for the vines actually growing on the walls but I don't know how possible that is. Those vines will slowly damage the walls and will continue to grow on the other side unless cut off. There would also be poisonous, barbed plants that can randomly grow on the ground and hurt any colonist who walks over them.
Throw in some of those man-eating trees someone else mentioned, too.

Outside threats would be relatively easy to handle. The jungle itself would attack raiding parties and discourage further invasion. That's a pro. It also kills any animals that enter the region. And that can be a con.
Your own farms would grow very quickly due the mutagens in the soil. So if you can seal off an area of ground and keep the jungle out of it, you'll grow a lot of food very quickly. Trees also grow quickly and in great numbers but can be dangerous to cut down due to poisonous barbs and such.
The jungle itself will need to be periodically hacked and burned back.
Also, those vines I mentioned can grow across player-placed floors. Vines can only spread to the other side of walls after they lower durability to 50%.

Wacky enough?

Reviire

Above sounds cool. The only raids that would get to you would be highly prepared raids, that can deal with the jungle.

Quote from: Gizogin on March 16, 2012, 11:59:01 PM
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Regret

Quote from: silverskin on January 12, 2016, 08:20:34 AM
Mutant Jungle
An incredibly aggressive jungle, composed of plants grown out of control by failed genetic modification. Plants grow very fast and will literally overgrow and attack your structures. Vines can grow next to walls and will damage them. I'd like to see graphics for the vines actually growing on the walls but I don't know how possible that is. Those vines will slowly damage the walls and will continue to grow on the other side unless cut off. There would also be poisonous, barbed plants that can randomly grow on the ground and hurt any colonist who walks over them.
Throw in some of those man-eating trees someone else mentioned, too.

Outside threats would be relatively easy to handle. The jungle itself would attack raiding parties and discourage further invasion. That's a pro. It also kills any animals that enter the region. And that can be a con.
Your own farms would grow very quickly due the mutagens in the soil. So if you can seal off an area of ground and keep the jungle out of it, you'll grow a lot of food very quickly. Trees also grow quickly and in great numbers but can be dangerous to cut down due to poisonous barbs and such.
The jungle itself will need to be periodically hacked and burned back.
Also, those vines I mentioned can grow across player-placed floors. Vines can only spread to the other side of walls after they lower durability to 50%.

Wacky enough?
Sounds great! I hope you don't mind if I take these ideas for a spin.
Imagine always feeling completely safe from raids until a fire takes out a large part of the jungle... You forgot to prepare defenses and a raid just came along.

To make this more flexible I would try to put these changes primarily in plant behaviour, so you can have freak events in certain other biomes: "A passing visitor dropped a Terror-vine berry, it took root."
"Some of the trees in your area have become sentient and they are pissed."
Or something relatively peaceful and a bit more realistic:
"An invasive species of grass has arrived, it's seeds will kill any non-tree plants it lands on."
Or Walnut trees that can be researched and planted, nothing else will grow around them. These could be used to keep those vines in check.
Or planting nitrogen fixing legumes(peas and beans) that increase fertility over time, while another crop, for example potatoes reduces fertility over time.

Reviire

On the topic of mutant jungle, I'd like to see ones that have aggressive animals too, not the usual lions or tigers, but alien looking creatures. Ones that make it an incredibly hostile biome, along with the flora. (On that note, glowing trees and plants, anyone?).

But on the flipside, said creatures would yield useful materials, such as strong chitinous plates, chemicals (Poisoning swords and arrows, anyone?), or whatever else.

I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

Listen1

The icesheet is a ungrowable area (is that a word?), making you rush power and hydroponics/hunting/cannibalism to survive. Crystal, rock ground and sandy beach would also have this effect.

Abandoned Cities, with roads and wrecked buildings and furniture, actually shaped like a city, is a thing that I would love to see on the game.

I still want to be able to build in the same map where another faction is. They have a premade colony that works on it's on, and you have to build another one just to attack them. I know it would the problems and limitations of the core code, but would be really cool.

JimmyAgnt007

Mutant Jungle  I love this!  We might need a flamethrower weapon/turret to keep the plants at bay.  I love that the vines creep and damage buildings.  Remove flooring on soil surfaces and cover flooring on rock surfaces.  But can only go so far under roofing due to them needing sunlight.  During an eclipse or night is the best time for a mass removal of vines due to them being asleep.  Certain animals will thrive like the new hive insects and the megascarabs. 

Now, because Ive read a lot of Warhammer 40k fiction ive got a few ideas drawn from that.  One is that there was a psychic vine jungle that would scream in your mind all the time but more so when you burnt it back.  So maybe a limited form of that.  Maybe vines have central root cores that feed the whole plant and once killed they all die and sometimes you get a psychic vine on the map.

The other 40k jungle idea is one where the plants evolved over the course of the mission to assemble in humanoid shapes to infiltrate the humans.  They kept getting better at it and went from shambling vine person pretending to help them hack through the jungle to looking human and talking.  I think for rimworld that either we stick with the shambling vine people with no major organs to hit or vine zombies.

Vine zombies are something i just thought of.  When a person dies a vine can seed the corpse and bring it back to life and use them to defend the vine or attack the colony. 

Reviire

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on January 14, 2016, 08:52:46 AM
-snip-
That 40K sounds only vaguely related to Gene Stealers, which aren't plants in the first place.

On topic, plants turning into people just doesn't sound right, seems like it'd completely break the theme.

JimmyAgnt007

The psychic vines were from the Ravenor books.  The humanoid vines was from an Imperial Guard book with the catachans in a jungle Death World.

JimmyAgnt007

The one thread about a permanent event like toxic fallout made me think of a new biome.

A radioactive wasteland, toxic fallout all the time that comes and goes with severity but never leaves.  Animals have mutated and toxic sludge slime monsters roam the land.  HazMat suits are the only armor and clothing worth having.  Would need a radiation mechanic like temperature that permeates walls.  New lead resource to insulate walls with. 

blub01

maybe have the monoliths have a chance to turn animals intelligent, aka give them some form of pawn ai. so if it happens to a tamed animal, you've just gotten a new pawn.
Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.

Regret

Quote from: blub01 on January 22, 2016, 05:39:37 AM
maybe have the monoliths have a chance to turn animals intelligent, aka give them some form of pawn ai. so if it happens to a tamed animal, you've just gotten a new pawn.
heh, good one.

blub01

Quote from: Reviire on January 14, 2016, 05:00:19 AM
On the topic of mutant jungle, I'd like to see ones that have aggressive animals too, not the usual lions or tigers, but alien looking creatures. Ones that make it an incredibly hostile biome, along with the flora. (On that note, glowing trees and plants, anyone?).

But on the flipside, said creatures would yield useful materials, such as strong chitinous plates, chemicals (Poisoning swords and arrows, anyone?), or whatever else.

and maybe have some really hard research eventually allowing you to communicate and make peace with the jungle, maybe be able to tame the things.
Quote from: Zobaken on September 02, 2015, 12:37:37 AM
1. Please make people unable to move through deep waters. I don't like raiders cosplaying Jesus.