[Outdated - See OP for updated version link] LewisDTC's Weapon Expansions

Started by LewisDTC, November 26, 2016, 07:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What would you like to see expanded further?

More Neolithic, Medieval and early game weapons!
5 (9.4%)
More Industrial and Spacer weapons!
4 (7.5%)
Glitterworld weapons should be a thing, shouldn't they?
6 (11.3%)
More Grenades, Rocket Launchers and other special weapons would be nice.
0 (0%)
Lets get some more armor to counter all these weapons.
25 (47.2%)
Turrets, traps and automated weapons could use some love.
12 (22.6%)
Do something that isn't to do with weapons. Give us more walls, floors and furniture.
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Voting closed: January 12, 2017, 08:35:50 PM

darktoes

I found something a while ago that might just be of use to you. It's long abandoned but seems like it should still work if you're interested.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5364.0

LewisDTC

Quote from: darktoes on December 26, 2016, 11:02:44 PM
I see what you mean and I agree completely, a proper combat overhaul could be really awesome, especially one which made armor a bit more effective. However, this is the LewisDTC Weapon Expansion. If LewisDTC was willing to go to all the effort of making a combat overhaul that meshed well with his weapon overhaul that would be amazing, but it would be best if it was a separate mod. Perhaps make a suggestion thread on the forums or send him a PM with your ideas.

This is pretty much my end goal. Not just combat, but everything. "I'm going to take everything Rimworld has a little of and make more of it."

Then I realized that such a project would just end up on my huge list of unfinished mods. Instead, I decided to split it up and work on a piece at a time - starting with weapons. So yeah, eventually I hope to expand on armor and clothing, then damage types, diseases, drugs, races and so on.

For now though I've been taking a brief break from weapons to work on something simpler:

Quote from: Love on December 28, 2016, 12:29:17 PM
Hey Lewis, Rimsenal recently updated with a rebalance that dramatically lowered the stats, have a look and see if you feel they're more in line with what DTC does? I'd love to use your mods together, right now I'm favoring yours.

I'll take a peek at it sometime soon. If they are similar to vanilla I would imagine that they should mesh well. I like the look of a lot of the Rimsenal stuff :).

Quote from: Heroinómano34 on December 27, 2016, 06:35:32 AM
the melee weapons must have a limit tier, in all tiers find one limit, But i give to you other tier (mechanical) (now i writte in english mech...) mech maybe for instalable weapons ))

creo que cada arma debería tener un tier máximo, en cada tier hay una que es la culminación tecnológia siendo ese su máximo grado.

Instead of making any one weapon the most powerful, I want them to all be useful for different things. Otherwise nobody would ever use anything else. Some rare weapons do outclass the rest of their tier, but they are rare and cannot be crafted. Sorry, I don't speak very good Spanish.

En vez de hacer que cualquier arma sea la más poderosa, quiero que todos sean útiles para cosas diferentes. De lo contrario nadie nunca usaría cualquier otra cosa. Algunas armas raras superan al resto de su nivel, pero son raras y no se pueden elaborar. Lo siento, no hablo muy bien español.

Quote from: darktoes on December 29, 2016, 09:27:06 AM
I found something a while ago that might just be of use to you. It's long abandoned but seems like it should still work if you're interested.
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=5364.0

Appreciate it friend, but I already have my own little 'thing' that serves the same purpose.:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=28371.msg286440#msg286440

It's quite interesting how similar the two things look, other than how I just left some bits like range to my gut feeling rather than adding them to the equation and how I was lazy and made mine in excel rather than Python. :p

LewisDTC

Oh, and I don't know if I ever posted just to say thanks to everyone. For the kind comments and stuff - means a lot to me that people are enjoying what I create.

So here it is. Thanks! Thanks for downloading my stuff. Thanks for enjoying it and thanks for not hunting me down and throwing rocks at me while shouting 'Dance monkey boy dance!" when I do things wrong.

darktoes

Quote from: LewisDTC on December 29, 2016, 08:29:10 PM
Oh, and I don't know if I ever posted just to say thanks to everyone. For the kind comments and stuff - means a lot to me that people are enjoying what I create.

So here it is. Thanks! Thanks for downloading my stuff. Thanks for enjoying it and thanks for not hunting me down and throwing rocks at me while shouting 'Dance monkey boy dance!" when I do things wrong.
No problem, thanks for such an awesome mod! Also that sounds kind of specific, do we need to hire you a therapist?

Those new floors look really nice by the way, can't wait to walk all over those nice granite tiles...

Breedon

Loving the mod so far! Everything looks really cool.  Anyone else getting really loud combat sounds ? Like every shot or swing is much louder then the vanilla guns and weapons?  Other then that its perfect.

Cynsity702

Is this anything to worry about??

Got some yellow error on loadup; see attached.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

LewisDTC

Quote from: Cynsity702 on December 30, 2016, 12:02:17 AM
Is this anything to worry about??

Got some yellow error on loadup; see attached.

Cant open the log fdom my phone but if its an error about sound im aware and it doesnt seem to do anything.  Something changed in the jump to a16 and im not certain what,  but testing doesnt result in any errors.

Quote from: Breedon on December 29, 2016, 11:24:46 PM
Loving the mod so far! Everything looks really cool.  Anyone else getting really loud combat sounds ? Like every shot or swing is much louder then the vanilla guns and weapons?  Other then that its perfect.

Hmm...  I had a little bit of an issue getting the volumes right but they sound okay to me at the moment.  Will take a look into it but would be nice if anyone else can confirm whether they are having this problem?

Adalah217

Quote from: LewisDTC on December 30, 2016, 04:32:27 AM
Hmm...  I had a little bit of an issue getting the volumes right but they sound okay to me at the moment.  Will take a look into it but would be nice if anyone else can confirm whether they are having this problem?

Yes, I agree, it's a bit high. Specifically with early blackpowder weapons.

Love

QuoteI'll take a peek at it sometime soon. If they are similar to vanilla I would imagine that they should mesh well. I like the look of a lot of the Rimsenal stuff :).

Have you yet had the opportunity?

Adalah217

Hey a few quick bugs I've noticed, not sure if intentional or not:

Flintlock weapons don't leave an unfinished product while in the process of being made.
Edit #1000001: If you've been in the process of responding to this post, I'm sorry! I think all it needs is a quick tag

<unfinishedThingDef>UnfinishedGun</unfinishedThingDef>

under the recipeMaker of each flint weapon.

Speaking of, if flintlock weapons can only be made at a smithy, shouldn't the Blackpower research have the prereq of Smithing?

You never redefined the heavy smg. It still uses vanilla values. I think you meant to redefine it using the tier 3 submachine gun, Gun_SMG, which should be Gun_HeavySMG. 

Thanks!

LewisDTC

Hey folks! Apologies fore the lull in contact and content - I received Xcom 2, Civ 6, Darkest Dungeon and Doom over Christmas and whenever I sit down to work on my weapon overhaul I invariably end up playing one of those instead.

I'll be doing some work on the mod tomorrow however, so I'll do my testing, fixes and so on then. Hopefully I'll get a new version out too, even if there's no new content included.

Thanks for your patience!

Quote from: Adalah217 on January 03, 2017, 05:42:12 AM
Hey a few quick bugs I've noticed, not sure if intentional or not:

Flintlock weapons don't leave an unfinished product while in the process of being made.
Edit #1000001: If you've been in the process of responding to this post, I'm sorry! I think all it needs is a quick tag

<unfinishedThingDef>UnfinishedGun</unfinishedThingDef>

under the recipeMaker of each flint weapon.

Speaking of, if flintlock weapons can only be made at a smithy, shouldn't the Blackpower research have the prereq of Smithing?

You never redefined the heavy smg. It still uses vanilla values. I think you meant to redefine it using the tier 3 submachine gun, Gun_SMG, which should be Gun_HeavySMG. 

Thanks!

Many thanks! The missing unfinished weapon is something I saw before but had completely forgotten about. I'll get it fixed asap. I had noticed it but weirdly I'm not sure how I managed to break it in the first place, since I didn't mess with that line at all...  ???

As for blackpowder, the weapons were initially intended to be buildable at the crafting spot. I only changed that in passing, and didn't really consider linking the technologies. I've not been on Rimworld for a little while but with the tech tree as it was, finding new places for the technologies was a royal pain - I'll see if it fits okay and if so likely link them together. :)

And yeah, I noticed someone turn up with an SMG in my most recent game. Must have forgotten to overwrite the def - that's a bug.

Ashnal

Quote from: LewisDTC on January 03, 2017, 01:10:49 PM
Hey folks! Apologies fore the lull in contact and content - I received Xcom 2, Civ 6, Darkest Dungeon and Doom over Christmas and whenever I sit down to work on my weapon overhaul I invariably end up playing one of those instead.

I'll be doing some work on the mod tomorrow however, so I'll do my testing, fixes and so on then. Hopefully I'll get a new version out too, even if there's no new content included.

Thanks for your patience!

From one modder to another (I mod games other than this one) I know how you feel on this one. Sometimes it's good to take a break and go back to what made us love modding games in the first place, playing them!

Thanks for all your hard work! My only real suggestion to add onto this pack is perhaps some "Combat Realism" like features, such as ammo and reworked hits on pawns.

Adalah217

Quote from: LewisDTC on January 03, 2017, 01:10:49 PM
-snippity snip-

Yeah super easy to fix bugs. Have fun playing XCOM2! Such a good game.

I'm not sure if my PMs are sending or not. They aren't in my outbox. Did you happen to get one or two?

szypkiyakwonsz

Hey Lewis, first of all I would like to say how much I appreciate Your mod - I really prefer Your simplicity over qintilion of other parameters. Only thing that is still bothering me is the fact that my pawns are shooting with air and pebbles lying around - so yeah, ammo would be awesome.

Btw, after A16 I  got this yellow log after launching the Rim:

QuoteCould not resolve cross-reference: No Verse.SoundDef named DTCflame found to give to Verse.DamageDef Flamethrower (using undefined sound instead)
Verse.Log:Warning(String)
Verse.WantedRefForObject:TryResolve(FailMode)
Verse.CrossRefLoader:ResolveAllWantedCrossReferences(FailMode)
Verse.PlayDataLoader:DoPlayLoad()
Verse.PlayDataLoader:LoadAllPlayData(Boolean)
Verse.Root:<Start>m__735()
Verse.LongEventHandler:RunEventFromAnotherThread(Action)
Verse.LongEventHandler:<UpdateCurrentAsynchronousEvent>m__733()

Not sure however if it is fault soley of Your mod or maybe some other is interacting.

Adalah217

Quote from: szypkiyakwonsz on January 03, 2017, 02:11:48 PM
Hey Lewis, first of all I would like to say how much I appreciate Your mod - I really prefer Your simplicity over qintilion of other parameters. Only thing that is still bothering me is the fact that my pawns are shooting with air and pebbles lying around - so yeah, ammo would be awesome.

Btw, after A16 I  got this yellow log after launching the Rim:

QuoteCould not resolve cross-reference: No Verse.SoundDef named DTCflame found to give to Verse.DamageDef Flamethrower (using undefined sound instead)
Verse.WantedRefForObject:TryResolve(FailMode)
Verse.CrossRefLoader:ResolveAllWantedCrossReferences(FailMode)

Not sure however if it is fault soley of Your mod or maybe some other is interacting.

It's up to LewisDTC if it can be distributed, but I'm working a patch for Combat Realism. There's quite a few issues, and it's not as simple as adding "use this particular ammo" for each weapon. But it's coming along :). Biggest thing is getting new textures for the ammo used on each weapon. Haven't decided yet, but I think each weapon will have their own self-contained ammo. For example you won't be able to use the same ammo for the flintlock pistol as the flintlock rifle. Having all that ammo laying around is going to seem tedious late-game, but I don't see a way around. Also, the patch will be bare bones at first, and relatively unbalanced. There won't be more than one ammo type for each weapon at first, but I hope to expand it to include multiple ammunition kinds for each weapon. It won't be too hard to maintain by anyone else once the work is put in.

As for the bug, it's easily reproduced. Just need to change a few things to be consistent (sound folder name, damagedef, and sounddef). Took 2 mins to fix haha. There's also a few other yellow messages popping up, but honestly it might just be from my messing with the mod.

Config error in ShotGaussLight: Sounds with non-on-camera subsounds should use MapOnly context.
Verse.DefDatabase`1:ErrorCheckAllDefs()
System.Reflection.MonoMethod:InternalInvoke(Object, Object[], Exception&)
System.Reflection.MonoMethod:Invoke(Object, BindingFlags, Binder, Object[], CultureInfo)
System.Reflection.MethodBase:Invoke(Object, Object[])
Verse.GenGeneric:InvokeStaticMethodOnGenericType(Type, Type, String)

Anyone else getting that?