FRIENDLY FIRE!! And stop shooting zerkers...

Started by swatti, February 16, 2017, 02:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swatti

"last beer, ever"

I stockpiled LOTS of Doom-launchers just so i can spam em next time the oogaboogas attack and laugh.
Someone had a party, everyone gathered but someone went nuts and considoring ~90% of the people, in a small room had DDs and shot them at the nutter.

That was the last party of that colony.

Can i somehow stop people from shooting at crazy-persons? Mod?

"One rabbit VS 3 brawlers"

All 3 of my brawlers were annihilated seemingly by a rabbit. It had a hunt-tag on it and my brawlers were dead.

It turned out my minigunner had missed the rabbit, eventually starving to death, but happily as hes three rivals were dead before him.

Is it possible to stop colonists from shooting when there is a chance they will hit a friendly? Mod?

CrazyEyes

I don't know of any mods off the top of my head that fix these problems, but I agree they should be addressed in the vanilla game.

In addition, pawns shouldn't use any explosive weapon (aside from maybe EMPs) if the blast radius includes themselves. Unless you directly order them to, of corse.
Before you talk to me, I should warn you: I am kind of strange.

Hans Lemurson

I was manning some forward fortifications aimed at taking out a psychic ship crashed nearby, when I got a notification that a colonist had gone berzerk (unsurprising, given the extreme mood penalty at that point) but then immediately was notified that his rage had ended and a colonist was in need of rescue.

Head-shot from a survival-rifle at point blank range.  Miraculously, no permanent damage!  He was out of the fight for the next raid, bed-ridden with minimal consciousness, but he eventually made a full recovery.

It did however make me super cautious about mental-breaks and high-powered weaponry.  I also reconsidered attaching a scyther-blade to a colonist who had lost a hand...
Mental break: playing RimWorld
Hans Lemurson is hiding in his room playing computer games.
Final straw was: Overdue projects.

Limdood

ummm, a tip:
never set a minigunner or grenadier to hunt

never let pawns walk around with grenades or rocket launchers.  when a raid or ship comes that you want to use them on, manually go pick them up and use them.

You can use Fluffy's "Colony Manager" mod to specifically set what zones hunting is allowed in...this lets you set up zones for hunting out of normal pathways....pawns may still shoot each other if more than one go hunt at once.  Set different shifts with 1 person to hunt on each shift, or only allow hunters on different sides of the base, using zones to restrict them.

KingKnee

There needs to be more settings.. when someone breaks down from alcohol addiction, you don't want your assault rifle guy to just empty on them.

Tekuki

i usually never made a colonies shot someone else when they go crazy as i have the game pause on red events and i just check who it is and set everyone to flee so they won't just shot them up, and if you draft them toggle allow fire so they won't shot them and just make everyone melee him (don't use your melee guys with the sword and stuff, "bear" hands only

Euzio

Quote from: Hans Lemurson on February 16, 2017, 04:53:01 PM
It did however make me super cautious about mental-breaks and high-powered weaponry.  I also reconsidered attaching a scyther-blade to a colonist who had lost a hand...

Its actually kinda amusing when you have a pawn go berserk and proceed to single handedly take down your entire colony kill bill style when he's equipped with a plasteel sword and you're trying to take him down without harming him.  ;D

eadras

It would be nice if the AI was a little more aware of the effects of explosive weapons.  One of the last raids my A16 colony faced had about 25 pirates, but it was cut short when one of them unloaded a doomsday rocket launcher into the middle of his pals, downing about 6-8 of them and wounding more.  Of course, most of the OP's issues can be solved simply by paying attention to his pawns, and not constantly fast forwarding through the game on triple speed.

The game does have a setting to pause on a berzerk event, so there's really no one to blame but yourself if you go right back to triple speed and expect the situation to resolve itself cleanly.  Take a minute to micromanage the situation and marvel at the improved outcomes you are able to achieve by applying just a little bit of attention.

swatti

Whole consept of shooting someone whos nuts is a bit broken. It was more of a hilarious thing that it happened in a party and everyone had DDs.

Not all that hard to avoid if you micro-manage but i'd prefer some control. And no, i cant use 3x. It stutters into so slow its sub 1x

eadras

Yeah, I didn't mean to sound overly critical, but it seems to me that a lot of people want to just fast forward through the game rather than playing it.  To me the game is about managing your pawns, and that is all about paying attention to details.  Going back to Tynan's post in his recent A17 announcement, he explained that the more features he adds that make pawn AI smarter and more efficient, the easier the game becomes - which is why he doesn't want to expend a lot of energy going down this development route.

I agree friendly fire is damn frustrating though, and particularly with explosive weapons, it could use some re-balancing.

swatti

OPTIONS! Give people OPTIONS. Micro-manage one-by-one or do advanced setup how to automate things. Dont force eighter one.

Personally i prefer to automate everything and "just watch" as things get done. I rather tweak my setup then order each dumdum separate

Limdood

Quote from: swatti on February 17, 2017, 09:22:35 AM
Whole consept of shooting someone whos nuts is a bit broken.

Not really.  Even in modern society someone coming at you with intent to kill (and berserk pawns are absolutely doing that) is justification for shooting them.  It happens plenty.  In the lawless, struggle to survive rimworld context, shooting is probably the FIRST solution that would come to mind.

As far as wanting options, YOU HAVE THEM!  Go into the menu and click the OPTION to pause on red events.  Then manage your pawns appropriately.  Alternatively, open the assign tab and set each pawn's threat response OPTION to ignore or flee.  If you end up drafting the pawns (which is the only way you shot a berserk pawn anyways unless you have the threat response on your pawns set to "fight"), then deselect the "allow firing" OPTION while you manually give them orders.  That's three separate options to keep pawns from accidentally killing berserk pawns.

swatti

Maybe in the US you shoot every nutjob, but in here. No, you dont.

And yes, i have pause on red events. I'm just tired of drafting all gunmen away from the nutjob. I'd rather have em on orders to go beat the nutter to a pulp.

b0rsuk

Does Rimworld make any exceptions for friendly fire ? I've seen people use firing lines, by arranging colonists into two rows that are adjacent to each other (for example 2x4 rectangle).

swatti

They can "fire over the should of a friend" as said in the helper.

I think 3x3 or 4x4 is the maximum. 5 dumdums in the line is too many. The fifth will shoot the first.

Easily tested by putting ppl behind a wall and wait for some oogaboogas to come from behind the corner.