Mining Bases

Started by Names are for the Weak, August 31, 2017, 09:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Names are for the Weak

When a map runs out of resources, but you don't want to abandon your base, you don't have many options. You can smelt dropped weapons, buy materials, or hope for cargo or ship drops. Or you can send out a caravan to establish a temporary base for the purpose of mining, only to abandon it later. This seems to me to be a bit overpowered. Plus, the abandoned base icon kind of annoys me. What I propose is the option to, when settling a tile, to say that you're setting up a mining camp. Basically, the colonists are dropped into an area about the size of a item stash location, where you spend a year mining everything there. When the year is up, everybody still on the tile is forced into a caravan and take whatever stuff they managed to mine. Once you're done, the caravan reforms, and the tile is exhausted for a year, meaning that you can't settle there or set up a mining camp until it is no longer exhausted. What do you think?

MerlosTheMad

You can already do this though. o.o

Headshotkill

You can pretty much already do this with the camping mod. I think Tynan should focus on game stability and the big fish, we have a formidable modding community.

asanbr

What is the problem really?

Edit: what do you mean by 'overpowered' ? Too difficult to get more steel? Too easy to set up mining bases?

The map has infinite tiles for all practical purposes, for you to set up mining bases. Why do you want a restricted, limited version of this?

I haven't abandoned a base yet. It is useful to keep it even if it isn't populated for a year, since space ships drop, animals join and sometimes wanderers.