man hunter packs: balance required

Started by billycop32, July 24, 2016, 07:48:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billycop32

Ok, so I have a late game colony (15 humans, 19 animals,most research completed) and less than a hour ago I encountered my first man hunter pack of the new patch. I set the defense turrets to hold fire, recalled everyone indoors. some of the animals lagged behind, as expected,  but all humans were indoors before they arrived and we did not fight back.

the result? even though the man hunter pack of rhinos never saw a human, and only a few animals, they destroyed 2 doors, and nearly destroyed 2 more forcing me to assemble a execution squad and kill the animals to prevent further damage. I understand a balance adjustment was needed to prevent the "pop in and out of doorway" loophole, but this is too much.a man hunting animal should only attempt to destroy a door if provoked.

chrisb2e9

Rhinos... I wish. I was attacked by a massive group of boomalopes. So much for that colony... They tore down the doors and once they start exploding inside. That's that...

b0rsuk

I was attacked by boomrats and they only attacked for several seconds after provocation. Then they calmed down. By the way you can repair doors from the other side.

Ragnarok

Quote from: billycop32 on July 24, 2016, 07:48:22 PM
a man hunting animal should only attempt to destroy a door if provoked.

They are called man hunting packs, not wandering around to see if man provokes us packs. Take a look at human hunters that hunt animals. Do human hunters only attack animals if the animal provokes them? Or will they hunt them, even back to their den?

lt_halle

Quote from: Ragnarok on July 25, 2016, 06:49:20 AM
Quote from: billycop32 on July 24, 2016, 07:48:22 PM
a man hunting animal should only attempt to destroy a door if provoked.

They are called man hunting packs, not wandering around to see if man provokes us packs. Take a look at human hunters that hunt animals. Do human hunters only attack animals if the animal provokes them? Or will they hunt them, even back to their den?

To be fair, it does specify "stay in doors and you'll be safe" in the event message

TheRokbyters

I came across my first one of these as well, though it was the buffalo hybrids.  Having seen no one, and having seen no animals, they instantly ran to my base, and broke down a wooden door almost instantly. 

The issue is that this happened pretty early on, and thankfully I was able to handle them (mostly) once they were indoors due to well trained and coordinated animals + tribe... but still... had I not had 5 people, and 6 attack animals (wolves, wargen, and a boomalope that tramed itself) I would have lost everything.

I feel like the event was very interesting, and I like the concept.... but if they are going to hunt humans, they need to look for signs of humans before going bezerk, not just walking strait to your base and zerging the door.

cultist

You can get around this by only having one tile that leads to the door. That way animals can only attack it one at a time, and repairing it should be no problem.

Wex

Quote from: cultist on July 25, 2016, 12:18:26 PM
You can get around this by only having one tile that leads to the door. That way animals can only attack it one at a time, and repairing it should be no problem.

The construction should be like this one D: Door W: Wall
W  W
WDW
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Dread Zep

yea dont turn your turrets off

what im doing these days is setting up my base with only one bottle neck in or out and putting up at least 4 auto turrets to meet anything that wants to pick a fight. im not worried about the man hunters, those are actually blessings in disguise as theyre bringing meat and other materials to your base.  one time i injured the rhino and then healed it, then it started wandering around my base like a normal animal, so i tamed it. eventually it went mad again, though and killed one of my colonists before i could take it out

b0rsuk

Pics or it didn't happen.

Before the game is changed to suit your needs you could at least provide a screenshot of your colony.

Wex

A little off topic but... Do tamed animals still go mad sometimes in A14?
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

FalconBR

Tamed animals still get mad in 14!

On 14b, I was getting thumbos visit everyweek (I am rich), but also I got man hunting elephants, most of them without elephants tusk!
It was a pack of 10 of them, if you think rhinos are hard, it is because you didn´t fight elephants!
Like all fights, it was a firing and retreating drill, we were close to the last turret on the other side of the base when the last elephant died! It was a long time to replace all blow up turrets, but I had meat for almost 3 years! Too bad I only got 4 tusks, I didn´t had see an elephant in the game before, and they are harder to kill them centipedes! Tusks can be used as weapon, but with all the thumbo money, I had everyone with charge rifles and plasteel swords.