Display "Accuracy" stats somewhere more visible

Started by RickyMartini, June 14, 2015, 06:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickyMartini

Accuracy stats should be displayed much more visible. At the moment, you can check a colonists accuracy (and many other stats about speed and skill) in the "Information" panel of every individual colonist.
I just realized that the accuracy and melee hit chance must probably be one of the most frequently checked stats when playing the game.

Why are accuracy and hit chance the most frequently checked stats?

Because it determines how good of a shooter/fighter they are. That means it determines what weapon I give them. Having a high shooting skill does not determine who's the most accurate at all. The accuracy stat counts in every lost limb, injury and trait that influence a colonists fighting skills.
It also determines what outfit a player would give the colonists (the best soldiers should wear better/more armored apparel). Many things like hunting or the general role of a colonist revolve around how good of a soldier a colonist is.

So again, these stats influence:

• Assigned weapon
  • Assigned outfit
  • Assigned hunting job
  • Role of colonist during raid

What is the idea?

Having the accuracy and melee hit chance displayed more prominently and outside of the "Information" panel. It would be practical to see it in the "Character" tab.
Maybe as a number right next to where the shooting and melee skills are shown. There is enough space on the "Character" tab to display a percentage.
Also, since apparel wearing has been automatized since A10, we need a better approach to assign weapons to our colonists anyway. This would be a good step forward.

What would change with the accuracy being displayed more visibly?

Now you have the most frequently used stat built into the colonist screen without the need to open up the "Information" panel all the time. That means you can quickly and easily see which colonist truly is the most accurate.
It would make the assignment and exchanging of weapons between the colonists much easier.

At the moment, every time I want to exchange all weapons I currently possess (so that the best soldier has the "best" weapon and the worst soldier has the "worst" weapon) I basically have to write it down IRL and then switch weapons in the game. Because it's just too slow to enter the "Information" panel for every colonist and then remember the accuracy for everybody.
And don't forget, every time a colonist gets a scratch, a scar or loses a limb: You can start all over again!  :D

skullywag

Some would argue there are some equally important stats im guessing and then you only have so much room to show these important stats so which ones do you choose, hence they are where they are.

I do however wish those particular stats were more obviously positioned.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

RickyMartini

Quote from: skullywag on June 14, 2015, 06:25:50 PM
I do however wish those particular stats were more obviously positioned.

Also, Tynan has reworked the "Character" Tab to show shooting and melee on the top. Having accuracy displayed right next to "Shooting" and hit chance next to "Melee" would add so much more validity to the skill.

It would have to look something like this:

QuoteSkills:

Shooting    [    10    ]   (89.5 %)
Melee        [     5     ]   (72.1 %)

TLHeart

Yes it would be nice to see those stats within the tab pane.

It would be nice to see the success stat beside all the skills.

Medical stat is another big one, surgery success is affected by everything, not just the skill level.

The skill level can be very misleading, if you do not know about the information panel with all the statistics...

RickyMartini

Quote from: TLHeart on June 14, 2015, 07:13:17 PM
The skill level can be very misleading, if you do not know about the information panel with all the statistics...

Yes, that is an additional problem to what people might think the shooting and melee skill actually mean.

TheNewNo2

Perhaps a twin approach would be best. So you give the base skill, as now, then the effective skill (due to bionics, cataracts, etc). So if someone has a base skill of 10 shooting, but has cataracts in both eyes and one arm, their effective skill in shooting might be 1.

SSS

Quote from: TheNewNo2 on June 17, 2015, 02:20:46 AM
Perhaps a twin approach would be best. So you give the base skill, as now, then the effective skill (due to bionics, cataracts, etc). So if someone has a base skill of 10 shooting, but has cataracts in both eyes and one arm, their effective skill in shooting might be 1.

That's how it is already. Shooting skill is one of the factors that determine hit chance. Same with melee.

This applies to other things as well, such as surgery success chance, how much food butchering provides, etc. Sight, manipulation, and consciousness are all very important to many tasks. Even with social, having a broken jaw (which lowers talking) can affect trade prices and prisoner recruit chance.

I think it would be better to just let people know about the info tab more in the first place. The tutorial doesn't point it out currently.

RickyMartini

Quote from: SSS on June 17, 2015, 06:01:58 PM
I think it would be better to just let people know about the info tab more in the first place. The tutorial doesn't point it out currently.

Well either it's changed how apparent the stats are to the players, or it gets changed like I suggested. Because as it is at the moment, most people have really no idea that skill ≠ accuracy.

Even I needed like a month before I started realizing the snipers with the highest skill weren't actually my best snipers.