Help needed- video formats and editing

Started by BugPowderDust, September 09, 2016, 03:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BugPowderDust

Hi all

I need some help as I have run into a weird issue that is probably easy to fix if you know how.

I am editing together my daughter's "first year of life" video clips that we've taken. I have the following formats:

• .MOV - taken with my iPhone 6
  • .MTS - taken with a Sony Bridge Camera, these are the majority of the clips
  • .MP4 - taken with my wife's MOTO G

Now, all of these clips play absolutely fine on my PC when double clicked and VLC Player runs them. They are all 1920x1080 at approx 30fps

When I have imported them into my video project, the MTS videos play file. The MOV files play very slowly (although the audio sounds fine) ad the MP4 files are super choppy (imagine a bad stream over the internet) but again audio is fine. I am using Sony Movie Studio Platinum

I thought maybe the mix of formats was the issue, so I created a new project with just the MP4 in, and then just  the MOV in- same issue. When I render it out (thought maybe it was project preview causing issues), same issue.

Can anyone perhaps explain this, is it a fps thing? Or perhaps point me in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance

milon

Some decoders are just wonky, and I've often found MOV files to be unusual in the way they play back.

I suggest using VLC to convert all your sources into AVI, and use the AVI's for video editing.  Keep your original sources, of course!

I could be mistaken, but I believe "AVI is to BMP as MOV is to JPG", if you know what I mean.  ;)

BugPowderDust

Thanks, sound advice, I have tried exactly this and it works a treat. A bit of a workaround but at least I can get the video done now

Cheers :)