Brand new to The Rim

Started by RaginCajun, July 18, 2016, 01:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaginCajun

So was watching some YouTube stuff yesterday and found one on RW by a guy that I watch a lot for DF and HOI4 so I checked the game out and picked it up on Steam yesterday.

Seems interesting...but is there a tutorial somewhere to get you started?  Even on low levels I've getting wiped out quickly (third world, hunting and got waxed by a herd of muffalo that stampeded everyone to death).  Still trying to figure out electricity (lights?...or just workbenches and stoves?). 

Anyway, enjoying it so far (using FUN! from DF as my basis..lol).  But would like to get past 4-5 people someday.

Oh, new issue.  Have two solar generators and a wind turbine with three batteries.  The batteries keep exploding.  Is there a way to tell why and how to stop it or is this just random?

skullywag

batteries outside? get em under a roof. They dont like rain. If its the zzzzt event then soz you just unlucky.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

passi965

Question 1.
-Seems interesting...but is there a tutorial somewhere to get you started?-
Answer 1.
-The biggest part is figuring out what you have to do next by yourself, and not have a Computer tell you what to do.-

Question 2.
-The batteries keep exploding.  Is there a way to tell why and how to stop it or is this just random?-
Answer 2.
-Place the Batteries under a roof so they wont explode due to a short circuit.-

Wex

Battery loves to random discharge energy though.
Have the main batteries of your base (i suggest 6, I never needed any more, and I am running a 45 people colony) into a room with a firefoam popper.
Then, have another set of batteries (I made 8 but I overshoot) in a room, disconnetted by a switch. So if the main explode, you have a back up. Also "firefoam popper in battery room", should be a mantra.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Jimyoda

Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

RaginCajun

Thanks.  The roof makes a ton of sense. 

I'll be checking out the quickstart guide. 

- What skill translates to being able to convince prisoners to join you?
- For lighting, is the wood torches the only option?  Even with solar generators I didn't see electric lighting show up (of course I could have just missed it).

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: RaginCajun on July 18, 2016, 03:29:55 PM- What skill translates to being able to convince prisoners to join you?
- For lighting, is the wood torches the only option?  Even with solar generators I didn't see electric lighting show up (of course I could have just missed it).

Convince prisoners: Social is the skill you want.
Lighting: Look in furniture for the standing lamp