Sudden Mid-Late game Lag

Started by RulerBrendan, August 04, 2017, 01:36:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RulerBrendan

This seems to happen to every game I have at random points through the colony's lifetime. As time progresses, colonists tend to jump a tiny bit here and there, nothing big. But suddenly, everything will just hit the fan at once and I can't get a steady framerate in normal speed, let alone the max speed I usually play at. My latest one, and my final straw, happened today. Sometimes I can get away with resetting the game to refresh everything, but I've finally hit the limit and I need to know what causes it. I use plenty of mods, but that doesn't seem to make a difference, especially with how sudden it is. One second I'm choosing what to research, the next I'm trying to make the game move. I'd really appreciate anyone who has any idea as to what I should do to help.
If you're ever feeling down. If you ever think all is lost. If you ever need something to help you succeed. Remember: Potato.

Nameless

Most likely people will tell you this is your hardware issue/limit.

I myself have all my games framerate drop when i hit around 13 colonist and gets progressively worse until i hit around 20+ which the game game starts stuttering to the point that i can't continue playing it.

TastyCookies

Have you used this mod, I tried it and my 4 year in-game time when from stuttering to near-smoothness. This mod cleans various aspect of your save data in order to make it smaller and easier to load.

Link:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=962732083&searchtext=

wired2thenet

Quote from: TastyCookies on August 04, 2017, 10:26:23 AM
Have you used this mod, I tried it and my 4 year in-game time when from stuttering to near-smoothness. This mod cleans various aspect of your save data in order to make it smaller and easier to load.

Link:

^^ This mod is your best friend!  Seriously.

RulerBrendan

Quote from: Nameless on August 04, 2017, 09:46:46 AM
Most likely people will tell you this is your hardware issue/limit.

I myself have all my games framerate drop when i hit around 13 colonist and gets progressively worse until i hit around 20+ which the game game starts stuttering to the point that i can't continue playing it.

I thought that, too, and checked, but I'm barely jumping over half of my cpu and memory usage even with chrome doing stuff in the background. So it's got to be something ingame.
If you're ever feeling down. If you ever think all is lost. If you ever need something to help you succeed. Remember: Potato.

RulerBrendan

Quote from: wired2thenet on August 04, 2017, 10:26:26 PM
Quote from: TastyCookies on August 04, 2017, 10:26:23 AM

Link:

^^ This mod is your best friend!  Seriously.
Yes, I have. And it worked amazingly at first. But now I can hit every button in that thing and it does nothing.

tonsrd

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=31646.msg323910#msg323910

-Make War Not Love -

-Removes the social system (prisoners and animals still bond).

install this and see if it helps ?

RulerBrendan

Quote from: tonsrd on August 06, 2017, 10:16:15 PM
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=31646.msg323910#msg323910

-Make War Not Love -

-Removes the social system (prisoners and animals still bond).

install this and see if it helps ?
Yeah, I saw this and fear it's the only way to save my game. The problem is, I have the Psychology mod in it which would likely crash if I tried to remove it or add this one.

Vxsote

I had a sudden case of lag in A16 that I determined was caused when I fully closed (including doors) a perimeter wall (radius approx 1/4 map size) while having a large number of animals (200+ chickens).  It appeared that the pathfinding algorithm for the animals and possibly also visiting traders took a serious performance hit when I sealed the perimeter.  Putting a single gap in the wall restored performance.

The A17 game I've been playing is on terrain that doesn't support so many chickens, so I don't know if this was improved or if it's still an issue, but I wanted to suggest it as a possibility.

RulerBrendan

Quote from: Vxsote on August 07, 2017, 04:14:29 PM
I had a sudden case of lag in A16 that I determined was caused when I fully closed (including doors) a perimeter wall (radius approx 1/4 map size) while having a large number of animals (200+ chickens).  It appeared that the pathfinding algorithm for the animals and possibly also visiting traders took a serious performance hit when I sealed the perimeter.  Putting a single gap in the wall restored performance.

The A17 game I've been playing is on terrain that doesn't support so many chickens, so I don't know if this was improved or if it's still an issue, but I wanted to suggest it as a possibility.
I heard of similar problems, but I don't think there's 200 animals on the map let alone 200 in a room. I let all of my pets roam free within a large area that's fairly safe from panthers and such.

Nameless

How big is your colony and how long is your game?

I installed the mod suggested above and now my 21 years colony with 19 colonist went from near unplayable to running swimmingly smooth.

RulerBrendan

Quote from: Nameless on August 08, 2017, 10:06:10 AM
How big is your colony and how long is your game?

I installed the mod suggested above and now my 21 years colony with 19 colonist went from near unplayable to running swimmingly smooth.

I have either 8 or 9 colonists, like 10 or 15 tamed animals, a like 4 robots, only one of which has an AI remotely similar to colonists, and I haven't been down for more than 2 years. Some games I can hit 4 years, some, like this one, a year and a half or so.

Vxsote

Quote from: RulerBrendan on August 07, 2017, 05:05:44 PM

I heard of similar problems, but I don't think there's 200 animals on the map let alone 200 in a room. I let all of my pets roam free within a large area that's fairly safe from panthers and such.
I also had been letting my chickens roam in a large area, including outside the perimeter wall.  But I also had a bunch of animal beds and sleeping spots inside the wall, so they tended to want to go back and forth.  Perhaps it doesn't take a large number of animals, but if enough of them try to get from one place to another.

RulerBrendan

Quote from: Vxsote on August 08, 2017, 12:09:19 PM
Quote from: RulerBrendan on August 07, 2017, 05:05:44 PM

I also had been letting my chickens roam in a large area, including outside the perimeter wall.  But I also had a bunch of animal beds and sleeping spots inside the wall, so they tended to want to go back and forth.  Perhaps it doesn't take a large number of animals, but if enough of them try to get from one place to another.

I neglected to put down more than like 4 beds. Most of them sleep outside or in the freezer. And with how sudden and consistent it was, I doubt it was that. I was playing it normally and then suddenly had around half a frame per second. This one was actually worse than before in that regard, because I usually have at least 2 frames a second. And it doesn't die down, so unless they're stuck going back and forth, that's likely not it.