Do mechanoids ever give up?

Started by lewisd, June 14, 2014, 09:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lewisd

I was doing a pretty good job of surviving, had a nice base built up with large indoor and outdoor areas.  Suddenly, 6 drop pods appeared inside the double-thick stone walls of my base perimeter.  Each pod disgorged a centipede!  I quickly pulled everyone back inside the base, and built metal walls over the doorways. I didn't have stone available inside the base, or I would have used that!
I have hydroponics tables inside, but all my power generation is out there where the mechanoids are running rampant.  They destroyed every turret without hardly breaking a sweat, and are now just running around pulverizing every bit of wall.  I can hold out indefinitely in here, until they cut off the power.
Do they ever give up, like normal raiders do?
(I love this game)

lewisd

It looks like mechanoids do slowly (very slowly) starve.  One of them died of "hunger" (I guess?) while they were taking my base apart.
Then, I was saved! 20+ raiders arrived, killed the 5 remaining mechanoids, and set fire to virtually everything else that was left.  They were in the middle of trying to ignite my solar panels (which were keeping my hydroponics running inside), being frustrated by the rain, when they gave up and left!
So now I have an utterly destroyed outdoor base, a nearly self-sufficient indoor base, and 6 colonists who are trying to pick of the pieces and keep surviving.

RazorHed

I remember one time I planned on building a room where I would lock a certain number of colonists in a room. I don't remember why at the moment but I was going to put a dispenser through the wall with the output on the locked in side and the hoppers on the other . So the locked in guys wouldn't starve :)

Tynan

Quote from: lewisd on June 14, 2014, 10:26:08 PM
It looks like mechanoids do slowly (very slowly) starve.

Thanks for the bug report! :D
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

CountJeffrey

Quote from: Tynan on June 15, 2014, 09:44:03 AM
Quote from: lewisd on June 14, 2014, 10:26:08 PM
It looks like mechanoids do slowly (very slowly) starve.

Thanks for the bug report! :D

So based on this I gather that in the next alpha they will never give up.....?

AwesumnisRawr188

I think they should lose interest after destroying a lot of crap or not having combat for awhile, to give you a chance.

Untrustedlife

Quote from: AwesumnisRawr188 on June 15, 2014, 10:20:35 PM
I think they should lose interest after destroying a lot of crap or not having combat for awhile, to give you a chance.
they clearly hate humans..... they probably came to annihilate you I doubt they will give up and it makes the most sense anyway..
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK

UrbanBourbon

Mechanoids give up when the last corpse of a human pest is in ashes and scattered to the wind. They stop when all the rock the humans dug out is put neatly back into the mountain. They stop when everything the human infestation built has been torn apart and broken down into natural minerals and compounds.

I lied. Even then they don't stop. After removing all the evidence of 'intelligent' life, they guard the area just in case more would come. They linger vigilantly, they starve silently, as far as a 150-ton cyborg, part insect, part machine, is able to be silent. They don't care. They don't feel. They don't stop unless stopped.

forsaken1111

I think they'd be more interesting if sometimes they didn't give a crap about humans.

Imagine if the mechanoids had a randomly determined 'entry' and 'exit' point on the map and all they did was path from one to the other. Anything in their way or anything which came in range would be considered hostile. They lay waste to everything in their path, including trees and wildlife, starting fires and causing general destruction. If part of your base happens to be in the way, they bulldoze through it unless you engage them and win. If you stay back, you accept the damage they will do as they move through.

AwesumnisRawr188

Maybe be able to discharge all your electricity on form of an EMP to disable them temporarily, so your colonists have a chance to shoot them?

CountJeffrey

Quote from: forsaken1111 on June 16, 2014, 04:43:15 PM
I think they'd be more interesting if sometimes they didn't give a crap about humans.

Imagine if the mechanoids had a randomly determined 'entry' and 'exit' point on the map and all they did was path from one to the other. Anything in their way or anything which came in range would be considered hostile. They lay waste to everything in their path, including trees and wildlife, starting fires and causing general destruction. If part of your base happens to be in the way, they bulldoze through it unless you engage them and win. If you stay back, you accept the damage they will do as they move through.

I actually think that this is a great idea....

However I still think there should be some form of mechanoid attack in the game as well.

RazorHed

weird my prior post went into the wrong thread somehow !  It was supposed to be in the thread about dispensers

Untrustedlife

Quote from: UrbanBourbon on June 16, 2014, 09:02:55 AM
Mechanoids give up when the last corpse of a human pest is in ashes and scattered to the wind. They stop when all the rock the humans dug out is put neatly back into the mountain. They stop when everything the human infestation built as been torn apart and broken down into natural minerals and compounds.

I lied. Even then they don't stop. After removing all the evidence of 'intelligent' life, they guard the area just in case more would come. They linger vigilantly, they starve silently, as far as a 150-ton cyborg, part insect, part machine, is able to be silent. They don't care. They don't feel. They don't stop unless stopped.

That was awesome..
So dwarf fortress in space eh?
I love it.
I love it so much.
Please keep it that way.

Hey Guys, Here is the first succession Game of rim world for your reading Pleasure, it is in progress right now

LINK