How would you add an Iron man mode to Rimworld?

Started by mc858, July 14, 2015, 09:35:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc858

Ironman is a term for an unforgiving playstyle that ditches save scumming (which i do a lot lol)

how would you go about adding it to a game like Rimworld? I feel like it would make the game more tense and emphasize the survivalist aspect much more

I would make only one save slot for each game- if you want to save during the game you will have to overwrite your last save- and if you want to quit the game you will auto save right before

Thoughts? I think it might be kinda rough but the tense aspect of Ironman modes would make it worth it IMO

A Friend

Save scumming best answer

+Add immediately.

But... I am ashamed to know that I would probably still find a way to bypass this. Like in any other game.

BRING IT.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

DwarvenGoblin

the easiest thing would be to add frequent and non optional auto-saving,
although it should be optional,i rather like my save-scumming  ;D
move along,nothing to see here.

akiceabear

- Can't save manually, can only save when quitting (including alt-F4), single save file.
- Can't change difficulty to be easier, only harder.
- Can't change storyteller.
- Option: can't select landing coordinates and season - randomly selected.
- Option: colonists randomly selected, no scumming allowed.

I personally wish for random map selection the most, although all 5 of these would be great.

keylocke

ironman mode?

-your colonists will drop naked in the middle of a raider horde.
-anyone who survives this ordeal will have to hide inside a cave, banging pieces of scrap-metal together into an armor.
-using a piece of potato, colonists must craft an AI core.
-combine AI core + armor suit

mission complete : you are teh ironman!

Andy_Dandy

I have my own house rule. No save scumming. If everything goes to hell I either have to continue, or start a new game from scratch (no mather how much I love my on going colony).

Some times the temptation to load a previous save can be too huge, unfortunatly, so I'd love to see an ironman option, especially for the Cassandra hardest of difficulties. Game is so much better, tense and exciting when you have to live with your mistakes. Makes every little decission really mather.

Toggle

An ironman storyteller, lets combine what people in this thread have said. Only one slave slot and it autosaves, saves on exit too. There is only medium, hard, and extreme (If those are the correct 3 highest difficulties), possibly only the two hardest. You're stuck on this storyteller, and you can only make the gamemode more difficult. Either there's small options, so you can randomize all 3 colonists at once only, can't randomize one, and then you can either pick "High - Low" for the area on the world, or no options, both are completely randomized. You cannot land in the middle area of the planet, and there's a minimum of heat for the bottom area and cold for the top. This would be a great mod, dunno about in the game. Maybe just an ironman optional mode you select while creating a colony, which randomizes your colonists, your location anywhere on the map, and the autosave feature. It's ironman mode, not randy random ultra extreme, so everything wont be random.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Kegereneku

ZOMBIE2, could I interest you in adding your idea in this topic ?

Myself I support the use of Storyteller as different game-experience more than difficulty.
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !

Devon_v

The definition of Iron Man is generally one automatic save file. The only tweak that would probably be needed is for the game to auto-save more frequently. You can do it right now as "Honestman", which is how most Let's Players do it.

Toggle

Shinzy

Storyteller Ulysses Unforgiving!
One save file and frequent autosaving plus autosave whenever an event or colonist death happens
That is how I would atleast start to add something like this, if I were to ever/could add something like this

Toggle

oo, autosave whenever a colonist dies is a good idea.

slippy

I like all these ideas except the changing of difficulty to a harder setting.  No changing it at all would be best.  I could see people playing most of the game on easy and then towards the end, switch it to the hardest difficulty and claim to have beaten iron man mode on hard.  No cheating allowed!!!

Toggle

Well that's why it's only the two hardest difficulties, and if you're lying about beating it what does it matter, since lots of people are gonna try ironman mode and do they best to finish it. There might also be achievements in the future, which would probably me "Beat iron-man mode on the hardest difficulty without switching difficulties".