Caravan "starvation" with a week's worth of food taggytaggytaggy

Started by mzonk, March 17, 2020, 02:14:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mzonk

I sent a caravan to mine a lump of silver ore.  I gave it 8 days of food for a 1-day trek.

The colonists have been there for two days.  They're all listed as malnourished and some of them are collapsing due to starvation.

I go to <world>, click on the location and select <reform caravan> and the display shows that I have OVER SEVEN DAYS OF FOOD LEFT.

Is it really the case that a caravan can't unpack the food it packed for a trip when it reaches its destination?

And if not, as is probably the case, how do I get the food into my colonists' bellies?

danedude1

Can you zoom in on the map? Items usually unload onto the map once a caravan reaches its destination. Make sure the food isnt forbidden.

mzonk

I can zoom in but nothing I had them take with them shows up.  It's as if the stuff doesn't exist until I try to reform the caravan.  I tried making a stockpile zone--nothing went in there either.  I'm confused.

Canute

You should check if every pawn at the caravan got the same food policy.
Not that some pawn's arn't allowed the food you got at the caravan.

mzonk

I appreciate the speedy reply, but I load the caravans with raw grains--rice, corn, potatoes and berries.  The same pawns eat the stuff no problem at the main colony.  I'll check the next time a caravan arrives, but I doubt this will be a problem.

Again, thanks anyway for trying.

Canute

You can check/change the food policy even on caravans.
Select the caravan, then use the Health tab.
Open the more detail window, the icon left of the "i".

Does all pawn's at the caravan are malnourished or just some of them ? When yes what is special about these ?
A common mistake are, people disallow some food like Pemmican/package meal for regular feed, and then the pawn's don't eat them at the caravan ofcouse. I do a similar thing with raw food.

Since we don't see anything at your colony, we just could shoot into the dark and point out common things.

mzonk

Back again.

The problem seems to be that the pawns won't unload their supplies.  I make a stockpile zone, but none of the supplies they packed come off of the carrier animals and go into it.

This leads to "starving" colonists whose "starvation" ends the moment the caravan reforms.

It has something to do with the distinction between a caravan on the road and one in a map point.

If I could get the colonists to unload the supplies, things would take care of themselves.

I'm writing this because I found a work-around and then (brilliant me) forgot all about it.

Canute

You was talking about caravan, any pawn got access to all items at the caravan.
When the pawn's are starving, you disallow that food at the food policy. Did you check that yet ?