Devilstrand is impossible to grow.

Started by Elixiar, August 11, 2015, 04:20:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elixiar

Not one shroom of the stuff has ever been harvested for me. The closest I got with it was 94%... And then the solar flare came.
I tend to play in colder climates mostly too so what can I do?
"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

zandadoum

Don't use hydroponics.

Find an outdoor place with soil ground, build a room around it with battery, heater and sun lamp and plant anything you need without fearing solar flares. Will grow slower but more secure.

Elixiar

"We didn't crash here by accident... something brought us down". - Anon Rimworld Colonist

b0rsuk

And when a solar flare comes, build a campfire to keep the mushrooms warm!

laston

The hydroponics kill devilstrand if unpowered no matter the temperature. But what you can do is that if you have a solar flare is to order them to harvest early. It's all going to die so might as well get what you can.

Coenmcj

Yeah, just find a few little places you can hide away your crops, not all your eggs in one basket and so on.
Hydroponics don't last long enough for devilstrand, so like they said, go put em in the ground! :)
You don't want them in the open cause fires spread easily out there.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

skullywag

wall off some rich soil if you can find some its a considerable speed increase.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

b0rsuk

My point was, in winter you still need a campfire in case of solar flare. You can't put parkas on devilstrand, although it would make for a cool sculpture.

PhenomTaker

Wall, heater, cooler, a growing lamp. And you've got yourself a good farm :)

b0rsuk

lusername

Devilstrand cannot be grown hydroponically because the occurrence time between solar flares is shorter than the time it will take to grow: Thus it will never reach completion and always will be killed when the power dies. Growing in a growhouse is more feasible since you only have to keep the growhouse from freezing, which can be done even in the absence of power by using FIRE. The temporary loss of the light will only cause a minor delay, not a complete loss.

Quote from: b0rsuk on August 12, 2015, 05:30:04 PM
And shoot Mufallos on sight!
Because they are DELICIOUS.

Elixiar

I didn't know this, thanks everyone!

kahlzun

Additionally, you can harvest it once it gets to more than about 65% growth.
afaik it doesn't affect the harvest amount (?). Someone tell me if i'm wrong pls.
Look for me on the KSP forums!
Rimworld. The game where getting a cannibal psychopath with bloodlust is a good thing.

Toggle

Quote from: kahlzun on August 15, 2015, 12:34:01 AM
afaik it doesn't affect the harvest amount (?). Someone tell me if i'm wrong pls.

I'm 99% sure it effects the harvest amount.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Menuhin

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on August 15, 2015, 02:14:20 AM
Quote from: kahlzun on August 15, 2015, 12:34:01 AM

I'm 99% sure it effects the harvest amount.
I'm rather certain it affects the harvest amount, what I'd be more curious is weather it lowers amount harvested/days grown ratio.  If that ratio remains the same it'd probably be worth doing early harvests on devilstrand.