[mod request] turrets attack animals marked to be hunted.

Started by toric, November 08, 2015, 06:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toric

says it all in the title, really. it would be great if the animals would not go forbidden if they have the hunter tag, so i don have to make the home zone extend beyond my walls too far.

Toggle

Uh... It seems title doesn't say it all. Turrets attack animals marked to be hunted, okay, but "It would be great if animals would not go forbidden if they have the hunter tag" is different from the title. And then all the animals die and just end up rotting if you don't notice them.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

toric

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on November 09, 2015, 03:53:04 PM
Uh... It seems title doesn't say it all. Turrets attack animals marked to be hunted, okay, but "It would be great if animals would not go forbidden if they have the hunter tag" is different from the title. And then all the animals die and just end up rotting if you don't notice them.

sorry. the problem is that if an animal is killed outside the home zone by anyone other than a hunter, the corpse it forbidden. as part of making turrets able to hunt any animal that comes to close, it would be nice if the animals they killed would not be forbidden by default.

Toggle

MisterVertigo

I like this idea, but I think it could be a bit overpowered. What would stop me from building turrets connected to solar panels all over the map, and then marking everything that moves to be hunted?
"In vertigo you will be..."

"Relax, people. It's a teeny indie game; don't kill it with love." - Bozobub

toric

Quote from: MisterVertigo on November 09, 2015, 05:27:57 PM
I like this idea, but I think it could be a bit overpowered. What would stop me from building turrets connected to solar panels all over the map, and then marking everything that moves to be hunted?
thing is, you can already do this, just by using he force target feature of those turrets. also, all over the map? i hope you have bionic legs on your haulers...

Toggle

Quote from: toric on November 09, 2015, 06:53:27 PM
thing is, you can already do this, just by using he force target feature of those turrets. also, all over the map? i hope you have bionic legs on your haulers...

It would just take forever to force attack each one, wait for it to die, re-selecting force attack. With that you just drag hunt over everything and the entire map gets auto-obliterated.

toric

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on November 09, 2015, 07:47:38 PM
Quote from: toric on November 09, 2015, 06:53:27 PM

It would just take forever to force attack each one, wait for it to die, re-selecting force attack. With that you just drag hunt over everything and the entire map gets auto-obliterated.
the thing is, the limiting factor then quickly becomes the amount of haulers you have. assuming you can even get to a point where you can defend half a map of turrets...

Toggle

It would still be fairly easy to place several well placed turrets around the outside of your base to kill them.

Limdood

but again, you can already do that...this would just make a certain course of action more convenient for the PLAYER.

On the same line as setting switches to be flicked on/off at certain times of day or certain events...its nothing the player can't ALREADY do perfectly, it would just make it take less clicks to get to the result (btw, exists as a suggestion in the suggestions forum...same general idea)

lets put it this way....what if there were no order buttons...all you could do was select a pawn or object...select an action from a dropdown menu, and then select a target.  In the case of mining, individually selecting each miner and individually selecting each block to be mined, one at a time, having to wait until it was done to assign the next task.  It would suck right?  Same thing on the turrets...its taking an action we can do (force attack) and allowing us to make a setting to do "force attacks" when certain conditions are met, just like colonist orders.

Toggle

Yeah, called 'micro-management', managing small levels of things.

NuclearStudent

Quote from: Z0MBIE2 on November 10, 2015, 05:44:15 PM
Yeah, called 'micro-management', managing small levels of things.

So? Repetitive micromanagement is usually seen as a negative, and for good reason. Nobody can claim that manually targeting animals with turrets all day is intellectually rewarding, emotionally satisfying, or an otherwise fun enough to justify over doing it automatically if it were already an option.

RawCode

micromanagement is about moving behind wounded units and focusing specific units in most effective way.

stupid repetitive tasks is "grinding".