Is art worth it?

Started by Col_Jessep, December 18, 2014, 09:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cimanyd

I have a conceptual artist with the "too smart" trait. It's perfect. She makes great artwork (getting better and better), while usually being somewhere around "mental break soon." (It doesn't help that I'm feeding my colony with nutrient paste, and like having a heated base so I left the doors off the bedrooms...)

Once, she made an excellent sculpture during a crashed ship part's psychic drone, called "A Despairing Murder," while she was going between "mental break soon" and "mental break imminent."

(this is getting somewhat off topic, sorry)
Earlier in the colony, I had each colonist make a wooden sculpture and put it in their bedroom, just in case they died or something. (Remember, forest = wood to waste.) It was during the winter, with snow everywhere, and my colonists were (and are) living in dark rooms in a mountain.
I got some interesting sculpture names. White Desolation (I guess she didn't like snow). White Gaiety (I guess he did like snow). Black Cave. Gray Forest (a marble sculpture). I love how the random things in this game make interesting stories, and the sculpture names definitely do. (well, half the time, the other half they're random nonsense)

One sculpture is named "Untitled No. 94".
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...
It seems many of the scythers in the area have been driven insane.

Everteal

Well in my first colony in A8 I got the pop star colonist Min who started off with 14 art and crafting and burning passion in both, yet unable to do anything else besides that.... best part about her was her traits - Industrious and Neurotic! Must say I was shocked... later in game she was full bionic because I loved her and was my only crafter and artist. I also managed to acquire an artist neurotrainer very early in game and later came the crafting one so she had both of them 19-20 constantly.

If you have a really good artist you are able to make Excellent/superior/legendary and whatelsenot masterpieces constantly that sell very well no matter the material they are made of, and a legendary statue per room makes your colonists constantly in a beautiful environment.

In another game my artist made this.... I cant sell it because no trader could possibly afford it :(

On another note that is somewhat important. If you have an artist that is not a crafter or the other way around your sculpture will be incomplete(i think). You can see this by selecting your artist and right clicking on the unfinished sculpture, you get 3 choices to prioritize:
-sculpting(art)
-smithing(crafting)
-tailoring(crafting)
So if you have an only artist he cannot smith nor tailor it....

Thorin

Not being sell-able was something I noticed very quickly, when looking at a trading screen. Want to sell me a 40k (not that expensive) sculpture while only having 10K on hand? Not on my watch sadly, however if I were to make such legendary sculpture, it would be definitely placed in my dining room :D

On the other hand, I have 3 unfinished sculpture's.
The first crafter died due "bullet in his head", his unfinished sculpture is now used as a doorstop in summer-time.
Second crafter started a new one, got wounded and after recovery... started a another new one, can't seem to get him finish the previous one.
The third crafter (even better than the previous two) that joined recently, is getting a bionic leg (got shot off) and I hope she will finish what she started.

But I have noticed that when they are busy crafting one, you can switch them to the other project. They will place it on the bench and start working on that one, while leaving the other on the bench too. Maybe with some watching and on the spot micro-management I can get them to work on the other when they barely have finished the other one (while having the menu open, with the 3 selections). Already tried this but failed on clicking on time. As a last resort, I'll just cancel it and get some of the items back.

Oh, for now I only use stone for my art. Metals are to valuable for anything else yet (or in to low quantities).
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

Oga88

Quote from: EscapeZeppelin on December 18, 2014, 09:28:26 AM
While I think it will be nerfed in the next release if you're making sculptures for resale gold and silver is the way to go. The art's value is significantly higher than the metal put into it.

you need 2000 of silver or gold to make that sculpture. i think it's not worth it, i mean gold or silver. usually i make sculptures form stone, a lot of that resource, and if it is a good one just keep it it gives like 200+ beauty.

Thorin

It is possible to restart a unfinished sculpture. Just wait till they have a few work left on the current one.
Select the crafter, right click sculpture (which must be on the workbench) and the moment they start hauling the finished product, click the command. My crafter dropped the finished item and started working on the previous one.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"