[MOD] (Alpha 2, Alpha 3) Physically Fit Colonists

Started by gehennianviceroy, March 21, 2014, 01:43:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gehennianviceroy

Might just be a personal preference, but I prefer it if my colonists didn't come of their pod looking like a beefcake.
This mod removes the fat and hulk body shapes of colonists to allow for normal or thin body shapes only.

Installation of this mod involves replacing the resources.assets file, so be sure to back it up.
If anyone knows of an easier/cleaner way of going about this, PM me. I'm a first time modder.
Please, do not post this anywhere else but here without PMing me.

Due to the restrictions of the current alpha, this mod is not available as a check and uncheck
Mods menu item; usage and installation is a simple file replacement until further notice.

Installation
Simply replace the resources.assets file in your Rimworld data folder with the copy in the archive linked below.
Don't forget to backup your original!

Unstallation
Delete the resources.assets in your Rimworld data folder and replace it with your backup copy.

Download
Alpha 2 -http://www.mediafire.com/download/36u6x2xgr651xgu/Physically_Fit_Colonists_Mod_0.5.zip
Alpha 3 - http://www.mediafire.com/download/tk62672na4z286l/Physically_Fit_Colonists_Mod_075.zip

Vas

This is a very dirty way to mod, I don't think this will get many downloads at all.  :P

But yes, it is silly having fat colonists.  I think maybe the game should have fat people lose weight over time on the planet, unless they eat a lot.  :P  It could make fat people more easy to have a mental break, due to having reduced rations and such.  Raising the point on their thing where they get hungry so if they keep eating that much, they'll stay fat but you can restrict their diet somehow making them angry for a few weeks while they thin out.  Though they'll always be semi angry with you from reduced rations from their old norm so it adds a new type of stress to the game for fat colonists to deal with.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

gehennianviceroy

QuoteThis is a very dirty way to mod, I don't think this will get many downloads at all.

Oh yeah, it's never clean uploading a 15mb file to change a a little over 200kb in images, but I digress. I had the need for the mod, so I'm sure there are others as well. That's why I'd like to clean it up. Any ideas?

Vas

The fact that you modify original game assets is the reason it's an unclean mod.  No mod should modify the game files.  All modding should be done through the mods folder.  You might need to wait till Alpha 3 comes out if you want to make your mod do what you're trying to do.  I presented some useful ideas though already for how I think overweight colonists should be done though.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

gehennianviceroy

So there is currently no way to modify the body and clothing textures in the resource file? Like I said, I am a first time modder. But even I understand I'm going about it a less efficient way. Also, your ideas for weight loss and gain are great, but not necessarily what I'd like this mod to do.

WolfgangPolska

I have no idea how, but it works!!!

gehennianviceroy

No screenshots yet; I'm at work currently, but I will take some when I get back later today. There are no new textures used in this mod, as it simply replaces the fat and hulk bodies with the slimmer body types. Also, if anyone using the mod with a highly populated colony could take some screens, I'd appreciate it.

gehennianviceroy

Updated the links for Alpha 3 and Rimworld Nexus. Cheers!

gehennianviceroy

Are you saying you'd like a version with the Hulky body types still included, or that in general the game needs the Hulky body types?

roboto69

Um... my advice, never use this mod. I tried it and sure it works as intended but now that rimworld editor is not able to edit my colonists. I've ripped the whole game out and re-downloaded but the problem is still there. Any advice on how to fix it so I can again edit my colonists with rweditor?

gehennianviceroy

Quote from: roboto69 on May 14, 2014, 12:53:50 PM
Um... my advice, never use this mod. I tried it and sure it works as intended but now that rimworld editor is not able to edit my colonists. I've ripped the whole game out and re-downloaded but the problem is still there. Any advice on how to fix it so I can again edit my colonists with rweditor?

This mod replaces image files inside the Rimworld assets file. All files are still there, except that the Hulk and Fat body type images are replaced with the Normal and Thin images. Other than this, the file is exactly the same as what you've re-downloaded. I do not see how this would affect your editing colonists in Rimworld Editor (which I assume only modifies your savegame, which isn't the assets file). Your advice, given that you do not know what is causing your problem or what to do about it, is somewhat unfounded. I suggest you check with whoever made your Rimworld Editor and see if any recent changes have been made.

Do you modify your savegame outside of Rimworld Editor? And have you added any recent mods? How are you sure that my mod is what is keeping your editor from working? At my last check, I've counted nearly 500+ downloads of this mod and this is the first I am hearing of it not being compatible with other tools and modifications.

If you'd like, you may upload your savegame and send me a link in a PM and I will have a look.

roboto69

Actually I just re-installed both games and got the editor working again. The problem only happened after, and in direct relation to the use of your mod. I have already deleted my save games and do not wish to tinker with this any more. My advice would be to try getting the rmeditor that is listed on this forum working with your mod, if you are successful please let me know. What went wrong with the editor was that the colonist names and details no longer appeared in the editor as in you ended up changing something the editor uses to identify them. Other functions of the editor still worked just fine.

Austupaio

I just tested the two assets together and had no issue. I'm guessing your problem lies between the chair and keyboard.

User was warned for this post

gehennianviceroy

Quote from: roboto69 on May 14, 2014, 10:04:03 PM
as in you ended up changing something the editor uses to identify them.

As I said before in my previous post, I've literally only replaced images within the assets file. No code has been changed. Unless the code is somehow embedded inside the body type images in the assets file, I don't see how it could be affecting it.