My 128x128 textures are too small.

Started by Vellarain, February 11, 2018, 11:07:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vellarain

I don't know what is going on here. The musket I made stretches across the entire 128 pixels and yet it looks smaller than the standard 64px survival rifle.

It compressed the images so much I can't even even make out the brass rods below the barrels of the guns.

Is this just how it is.

[attachment deleted due to age]

sulusdacor

the core art ressources are pinned in this help forum. you should compare the weapons textures there with yours. (all weapons are 64x64px per item)

in general with textures less is more.
it is nice to have some details, but with zooming ingame a lot gets lost (+ there is some compression i think). adding more detail and having bigger more detailed textures does not change the ingame result much.

i'm not sure if the srawSize and size xml tags works for weapons. if you have original 128x textures you can try them otherwise, you have to resize them manually.

Cpt.Ohu

If you take a look at the core textures, you'll notice a lack of small details. Fine details on long weapons just get lost too quickly and make them look either muddy or too thin.

Weapon drawsize can be set in the XML, but will only work when the item is dropped. The equipped weapon  gets drawn differently, you'd need C# to change the size. You can take a look at my mods for an example.

Vellarain

I actually found your work while searching for a solution!

I tried to simply insert the <drawSize> value where I have seen it in turret mods, but it does not seem to work.

From what I read off of your experience, I would need to alter the dll to allow the mesh size change to be applied to weapons.

Though that would only help them on the ground? You showed a comparison of a sword being used that was noticably larger with your own customized dll.

Unless that option is no longer present with the latest iteration of rimworld.