Just make raiders open doors.

Started by b0rsuk, March 06, 2017, 07:12:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wbonxx

I think it makes no sense. Add nothing to a game dynamic that is already solid.
Why a lock should have 50hp? In most of the real doors in the real world that lock is the last part that breaks...

You are talking about a game that uses granite to build doors... it is working, is a way to make you improve the quality of your defences at the expense of time/resources.

Only good point is the exploit of keeping repairing behind a door.

People since the medieval age open, shoot an arrow and close the door when the bad guy approaches.
Nothing weird there.

Also, modern doors have smaller entrances to let dogs/cat move freely, don't be too picky, this is a funny game.

Ruisuki

Im for whatever decision paves the way for 2 tile wide doors to become a thing. The time for the rights of doors has come, our oppressors may be the ones who knock, but we are the ones who open!

b0rsuk

Quote from: wbonxx on March 08, 2017, 06:25:47 AM
I think it makes no sense. Add nothing to a game dynamic that is already solid.

It does make sense because the game is already pretty broken. Doors are pretty broken, they easily take out manhunters with little to no risk. Raids can't deal with a base like this, because whenever one door is attacked in melee you shoot the attacker from other doors.

Why a lock should have 50hp? In most of the real doors in the real world that lock is the last part that breaks...

Is that why common door busting advice is to keep kicking in the place where the lock is ? And under no circumstances hit the door with your shoulder unless you want a dislocated shoulder ?

The lock is in that place because it's the weakest spot of the door, and a lock is an attempt to reinforce it.

You are talking about a game that uses granite to build doors... it is working, is a way to make you improve the quality of your defences at the expense of time/resources.

Is the lock made out of granite too ?

Only good point is the exploit of keeping repairing behind a door.

You don't even need to repair, just shoot people attacking the door. Repair after battle. If they are not attacking doors, they can't break in. If they are attacking, they are getting shot from other doors, and it always takes them a few moments to react. So when a raider hits a door you can always get a few shots in.

People since the medieval age open, shoot an arrow and close the door when the bad guy approaches.
Nothing weird there.

People since medieval are not stupid to fall for the same trick over and over. They can methodically bust down a single door with axes in moments, while others are covering the area. Rimworld raiders are not smart enough. They spread themselves going 1 person to each door.

Also, modern doors have smaller entrances to let dogs/cat move freely, don't be too picky, this is a funny game.

It is when doors are not involved.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Sola on March 08, 2017, 03:16:06 AM
Locked doors seems nifty. 
barred doors should not cost a component, but are one-way only.  (bar slides back into place as door closes)
locked doors should not cost a component (perhaps steel instead?), but the door takes longer to open (because key), and locks behind the pawn.  Alternatively, allow a "lock door, unlock door" option that works similar to "hold door open" feature.

I was thinking of something similiar ..
The good thing about this kind of solution is, that it fits the rest of the game regarding to turning of machines and other stuff.

It could also be a solution to the problem with pets eating drugs, discussed in a other thread.
AAANd .. Caravans pissing you of by leading their muffalo herd through kitchen, hospital and other areas.

DF has a similiar mechanic for doors .. you can set passable for dwarfs, passable for pets, locked and forbidden ..

So if we apply this for rimworld :

1.) Doors get the settings : hold open, locked, forbidden
2.) hold open stayes the same as now .. for faster access
3.) forbidden means the door is locked and nobody will pass it
4.) locked means, the door gets locked by a colonist and is impassable
for everyone except colonists. ( who have an imaginary key .. )
but takes more time for the colonist to unlock and relock the door
5.) Human Raiders gain the ability to break open doors. similiar to unlock
but takes longer. ( df has thief characters to, who are able to bypass locked doors and steal stuff )

I have the feeling I forgot something, but I can't remember at the moment ..

Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.