Unstable build feedback thread

Started by Tynan, June 16, 2018, 11:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MajorFordson

I've found an annoyance in my latest game -

I've got a "Gourmand" pawn, and every single night I get the "STARVATION!" warning pop up simple because they get hungrier than everyone else. It's pretty bloody annoying.

5thHorseman

Quote from: MajorFordson on August 17, 2018, 08:26:37 PM
I've found an annoyance in my latest game -

I've got a "Gourmand" pawn, and every single night I get the "STARVATION!" warning pop up simple because they get hungrier than everyone else. It's pretty bloody annoying.

Yeah I get that on non-gourmands frequently enough for it to be annoying.

YOU'RE HUNGRY NOT STARVING YOU TWIT.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Snafu_RW

Just for lols:

I've recently started a new colony in build 19.1996 & had an infestation spawn in nearby deep water (also undermountain). What's amusing is the 'splotch' sound they generate (presumably while spawning more jelly etc)

OK, I'm 7 years old, but how about making this specific sound apply to pawns suffering from food poisoning instead? More appropriate (& much more amusing) IMO.. :)
Dom 8-)

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: whitebunny on August 17, 2018, 04:37:26 PM
I can't agree more. It helps you get involved into trading and/or getting out of your comfort zone at a point where you're supposed to have a good infrastructure in place and things are starting to get stale.

I have a real large background experience in caravanning and raiding outposts on a roll. But traveling is still prematurely designed. Look at what others say about it, like this:

Quote from: Chicken Breast on August 17, 2018, 12:43:50 PM

I do appreciate this being pointed out by someone, just because I have similar thoughts about the enemy/rival/NPC bases being lacking. For one, I'd like there to be more factions in general. For two, why not have themed or specialized colonies? Bulk goods trading colonies would obviously have the ability to produce bulk resources, and that should show. Additionally, pirate traders and other types should come from colonies that have at least some evidence that they produce these things or have the ability to capture others, etc.

Caravanning still has many problems that need to be addressed as opposed to thinking that people don't go outside out of fear.

1.- Loading:

It is still overwhelmingly annoying how long it takes, this applies the same for transport pod loading by the way. If for instance, I want to send 2000 or 3000 units of corn... a single pawn can spend up to three days hauling and stress will cause the pawn to get downed and everything loaded explodes out. (Look at the screenshot of 14th of Septober 5504 in which all loaded items blow out https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=41782.msg426442#msg426442)

I was thinking of two alternative solutions:

A) Increase stack value from 75 to 200 units maybe?
B) We only have "Caravan Spot" to select where pawns and pack animals shall gather...but we need an "Exclusive Caravan stockpile zone" in which we create a list of items we want to take (must contain a refrigeration system on its own) and pawns automatically place wanted items there from your main storage and such items are not taken back to your main storage.

For instance, one of the main problems with B19 is that pawns automatically haul items of a same kind in order to complete stacks to their maximum capacity, but if two characters are performing the same action with the same item, they both fight each other as their targeted stack gets taken by the other.

An exclusive zone for caravan items and a large stack value would really haste Caravanning instead of hating Caravanning.

2.- Mood penalty is nonsense:

When we get raids... do the enemies arrive with mental breaks as our pawns do? No. Why? Because these dudes literally don't travel...they just spawn from your map border. Does their colony of origin suffer any penalties when they lose 30+ members? No. Why? Because they literally don't belong anywhere. Which takes me to point number three.

3.- When an enemy raid is decimated, there's no rival outpost that "suffers" their loses. So, to make the game complete. We "players" should get a notification of "from which outpost" they came, so their loss in numbers shall make our attack easier.

4.- I said this many times before spreader into other threads already. When we finally conquer an enemy outpost. I want to be able to use their facilities permanently, unless I personally choose to destroy/deconstruct something. I don't like it when the game automatically kicks a player out to the world map again and barrens the whole tile with a new map generation. Basically, every outpost I conquest, I want to turn into an outpost of my own faction, or choose to raze it. I don't need to control it myself. It could just turn into a "puppet" managed colony of sorts.

This would certainly add "the" real "DEPTH" Rim World is currently missing for the last third of the game were it all turns into boredom. And knowing how painfully boring is the last part of the game... it really is annoying to find "delays" of this nature...lacking key materials when the fun in the game starts to die. Not to mention that temporal maps no longer spawn with minerals.

5.- Caravan requests/ Item stash opportunities:

Have you noticed how the other factions can literally ask you for specific items? Why can't we?

Basically there's a lot of things version 1.0 needs to work on...but instead... Tynan focused on QoLs... and Predator attack warnings... (SIGH x10) As a pure Vanilla player myself...I tell you these past 6 months wait...didnt brought me anything. Tynan needs to fill up the last third of the game that nobody wants to play. In the meantime, make ship launching more easy.

mndfreeze

I just had a lot of these problems.   I sent 4 people and a dog out to rescue a colonists family member (grr) and there was only 1 bad guy and 2 turrets...

I almost lost everyone because after killing the one guy, almost evryone went on a break spree, which lead to starvation and since my only person who could doctor was also busy being broken I couldn't patch up the one other guy who took a few hits.  thankfully it wasn't bad enough to bleed out.

I ended up having to spend way to long at that site, ate all my food, had to murder the local wildlife, build a fire, make new meals, etc, etc etc.  ALL FOR A TERRIBLE PAWN, and due to a SINGLE BAD GUY.

After dealing with that I sent my guys over to a loot stash that was close to it for a legendary SMG and masterwork animal bed guarded by 2 sleeping mechanoids.  Thankfully I was able to sneak around to the other side of the building and loot the stuff without them even waking up.  As I got near the edge of the map to leave 2 guys broke again....

Barely got them home as they starved.  Ugh.   

I also of course got raided while my guys were out.  A psychic ship dropped right inside my walls with a centipede, 2 lancers and 2 scythers.  The second I killed the scythers and was working on the centipede I got a second raid of Drop pods right inside my base and the people I didn't take on the caravan were the ones who of course were LESS skilled in fighting and generally higher risk pawns.  No one died but I lost a lot of stuff, had a lot of wounds.  A large amount of eyes got burned or lost.  Infection almost took out 2 people.   The drop pods contained about 14 people, 5 of which had incindiary launchers. ;/

I'm playing Cassandra on rough.  At about 80k wealth at that point.

Yoshida Keiji

Two minor notes:

* In my game, I had two pawns lose a finger each out of bite attacks while engaging in social fights. It really takes a lot for a player to keep pawns as intact as possible...only to waste all efforts in an automated combat.

* I'm starting to deep drill. For simplicity, when we click on the Ground-penetrating scanner, can you add to the UI a Deep Drill icon next, so as to shortcut: Unselect Gr Pen Scan to get the main UI, select Production and click on Deep Drill, and skip two unnecessary clicks? Basically, move Deep Drill within the scanner branch.

Yoshida Keiji

Quote from: Tynan on August 17, 2018, 10:47:30 AM
Well damn, gonna have to look into that!

Sorry if this looks spammy but I'm commenting as I play, the following pictures will be part of my Story but in the meantime... I just got a game generated Bulk Goods trader, as in I didn't call them myself. Their pack animals carry no Advanced Components while I'm on day 316.

Orionreach

My colonist with the Psychopath trait is being effected negatively by wearing tainted gear. I've also noticed a debuff when she witnesses a corpse (skeleton fully decomposed on the surface). The strange part is that it doesn't happen all the time, which leads me to believe this is not intended.

Also noticed- a bulk goods trader visited, I bought and sold a few things, and it seems the food and items they were suppose to take were randomly dropped around my base inside & out after the transaction, and left for me to recollect as they walked off screen to continue their caravan.

Also completely unrelated but, would it be possible to get a "remove all work check marks" button? Sometimes I like to reset my colonists entire schedule and being able to wipe the board quickly would be a nice addition.

mndfreeze

I keep having this issue where I capture prisoners and they are getting tended to and then auto-released even though I never changed their prisoner tab stuff to release.  I lost about 5 prisoners in a row this way.  I am getting the faction points as if I released them.  It's very strange.

The prison is definitely sealed up with many layers of walls around it, doors not held open or anything, and is inside my base in a mountain. 

No mods.

Yoshida Keiji

I'm having two additional problems:

* When electrical devices break, like the Wind Turbine, I get no notification letter. I can however, witness how my builders repair them and the mechanisms showing the break red spark.

* Deadfall traps are disappearing after being triggered once... even by a rat...

5thHorseman

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on August 18, 2018, 02:39:29 AM
* Deadfall traps are disappearing after being triggered once... even by a rat...
Are they set to auto-rebuild? It's supposed to be on by default, at least it used to be. I did a run earlier and my pawn rebuilt them.

Note the fact that they go away instead of needing "reset" is not a bug, it's part of the game now.
Toolboxifier - Soil Clarifier
I never got how pawns in the game could have such insanely bad reactions to such mundane things.
Then I came to the forums.

Blato

Quote from: Yoshida Keiji on August 18, 2018, 02:39:29 AM
I'm having two additional problems:

* When electrical devices break, like the Wind Turbine, I get no notification letter. I can however, witness how my builders repair them and the mechanisms showing the break red spark.

Those are intended I think. I know that the notification for a machine breakdown was removed, and it does kinda annoy me as I like to keep tabs on how much components are siphoned out that way.

Deadfall traps have been changed to single-use, so tgey have to be rebuilt after triggering.

Selfarion

We have changelog on new build?  ???

roben

I noticed very frequent body part losses due to social fights. Could this be reduced to more bruising and less ripping? I mean it's bad enough that the dudes have to heal afterwards, but replacing lost limps caused by bad personality just sucks ;)

[attachment deleted due to age]

EvadableMoxie

I've been doing a lot of caravaning in 1.0, and I think a large part of the problem with caravans and mood breaks is the way recreation is handled.

You can get a pawn from 0 to 30% recreation in less than a hour just on a horseshoe pin when they're on a map. Even a dirt poor colony can have 4 recreation types from solitary, social, dexterity and cerebral with just a table, horseshoe pin, and chess table.  So if you settle and make a brand new map you can easily max any pawns recreation in an hour or two, tops.

When they're in a caravan it's hard locked to 8% recreation gain per hour when the caravan is not moving, and no gain when it is. It takes around 6 hours to get a pawn in a caravan at 0 tolerance back up to 30% recreation while the caravan is paused. On paper it should only take 4 hours since you gain 8%, but you don't actually gain 8% per hour. Even when the caravan is not moving, pawns recreation still drains at a constant rate.  So that 8% gain is not an 8% gain because you're losing recreation over time.  If you gain 8% an hour but lose 1% an hour, then you're gaining 7% per hour, not 8. 

On top of that, the only recreation type pawns can get in a caravan is Solitary if they're alone or and social and solitary if they're not.   This means pawns quickly gain tolerance to those recreation types, very quickly reducing the hourly gain. If the pawn is alone it's pretty much impossible to keep recreation levels high.  With two or more you get 2 recreation types and it's more manageable but still much slower than on a map.

All of these problems are manageable... but extremely tedious to deal with and involve a lot of micromanagement. Two things that would help would be to make recreation gain on paused caravans good enough to actually hit high levels of recreation if the caravan is paused long enough, and add an option to travel to the edge of a map and then rest, so that players can have their pawns can enter the map rested and without recreation penalties.