The Logistics of TV Broadcasting on Rimworlds

Started by Jake, February 11, 2017, 09:24:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake

Some of you might've seen a discussion post about this on the Rimworld subreddit a while ago, started by me, and one of the things that came up in the comments was that being able to watch TV at all was stretching credibility.

Well, you'd be surprised. I'm currently studying for my amateur radio operator's license, and one of the most surprising things I've learned so far is just how powerful this stuff can be. The most powerful transmitter an amateur is allowed to use here in the UK is one hundred watts, which doesn't sound like a lot but is more than enough for a legible two-way voice link with someone on the other side of the Atlantic. And it's entirely possible to build one of these out of salvaged parts with only basic tools; in fact, compared to stuff your colonists can whip up like the multi-analyser and the vitals monitor it's kind of tame.

Now, while that might be okay for radio, a TV picture is much harder to transmit a useful distance even when unburdened by legal restrictions on frequency and power. That's where repeater networks come in. They're pretty much what they sound like: You link up with them, send your message and they retransmit it. Some of them just have a bigger and better antenna than most hams can set up at home, while more sophisticated ones actually use the Internet to link you directly to another repeater in range of the callsign you're trying to reach. You probably wouldn't be able to do the latter on a rimworld, although it's not inconceivable that parts of a planetary telecoms network set up by the first colonists would still be in working order; there might even be a few working communications satellites in orbit.

But would these relay networks exist in a hardscrabble, everyone-for-themselves rimworld? Well, frankly they're far too useful not to exist: Being able to disseminate warnings about forest fires and severe weather benefits everyone, and being the settlement that's responsible for letting your neighbours keep up with their favourite soap opera probably comes with some significant fringe benefits. It also wouldn't actually cost that much apart from the up-front investment in setting it up.

So, that covers how your colonists could be getting a TV signal. But who's sending it?

Well, anyone with a working video camera and a computer with basic video-editing software could create content, even if it was just recording a performance by the settlement's amateur dramatic society or some such. There's also probably a decent number of new arrivals making landfall with stuff saved on their personal electronic devices, and maybe the odd enterprising youngster making animated movies on their laptop. But that probably won't be enough for a proper TV station. However, it's reasonable to assume at least one or two settlements per continent are large and prosperous enough that they could sustain a commercial studio of sorts, even if its content was nearly all reruns and the exceptions had production values on a par with Rutland Weekend Television except not played for laughs.

And all the above assumes technology roughly equivalent to contemporary Earth, or what the lore primer would call a "midworld". The odd cache of still-functional glitterworld tech would probably make it even easier.

ChJees

I kinda just imagine that there are old TV transmitters by long dead civilizations on the rimworld transmitting content on repeat like advertisements, documentaries and reality TV shows.

Jake

Quote from: ChJees on February 12, 2017, 06:58:50 AMI kinda just imagine that there are old TV transmitters by long dead civilizations on the rimworld transmitting content on repeat like advertisements, documentaries and reality TV shows.
Dear Armok, that would mean the only working television channel was the futuristic equivalent of Dave! Isn't this setting grimdark enough already?

eadras

The colonists may be watching videos of other people playing Rimworld!  The finished version of Rimworld!   :D

b0rsuk

You know what would be fun - constructing your own TV broadcast station and winning by a cultural dominance victory!

Jake

Quote from: b0rsuk on February 12, 2017, 10:46:02 AMYou know what would be fun - constructing your own TV broadcast station and winning by a cultural dominance victory!
I don't know about a "cultural dominance victory", but I do like the idea of being able to set up a transmitter and have your colonists talk to the world through it as a joy activity, with positive or negative effects on your relations with other colonies depending on their Social and/or Artistic stat. Possibly including raids.

b0rsuk

Add a Video Camera equipment that uses the weapon slot.
Add ability to record events.
Record a day at the farm. Or a raid. Or a sextape. Or a mental break. Or a prisoner execution. Or a mufallo vomiting. Or a wedding. Or a guy in power armor being torn apart by squirrels.
Broadcast it.

Jake

That's almost crazy enough to work. Not sure if you could pull it off in-engine though.

sadpickle

The TV is a really weird joy item. For the record, I've never built one, ever. Hundreds of hours in-game, and like the spaceship, I don't see the point (more joy, rarely a problem in a developed colony). I'd much rather see, I don't know, books. Or toys that can be played with. A TV is just... odd.

I own a real TV in the real world, and I almost never use it. Coincidence? Maybe.

Jake

Quote from: sadpickle on February 12, 2017, 08:11:13 PMThe TV is a really weird joy item. For the record, I've never built one, ever. Hundreds of hours in-game, and like the spaceship, I don't see the point (more joy, rarely a problem in a developed colony). I'd much rather see, I don't know, books. Or toys that can be played with. A TV is just... odd.

I own a real TV in the real world, and I almost never use it. Coincidence? Maybe.
I usually build or buy just one, and put it in its own little room just off the main rec-room. I like to think that makes it a bit of a sort of communal activity that's novel and interesting and special, like in the documentaries about people in rural backwaters all crowding into the village hall or the bar to watch the moon landings together.

Although my colonists mostly seem to prefer to play pool or chess or cards, or sit in the dining room together and chill while drinking or smoking weed. And why not?

b0rsuk

I also avoid giving my colonists TV. I'd rather buy something smarter, like a telescope, or build a chess table. TV only has the advantage that people in bed can use it.

Mikhail Reign

Quote from: sadpickle on February 12, 2017, 08:11:13 PM
The TV is a really weird joy item. For the record, I've never built one, ever. Hundreds of hours in-game, and like the spaceship, I don't see the point (more joy, rarely a problem in a developed colony). I'd much rather see, I don't know, books. Or toys that can be played with. A TV is just... odd.

I constantly forget that the TV is a joy item as well. It seems so out of place in the game. Oh hey, we are all struggling to eat but don't forget about getting a TV.

A book shelf would be a lot more appropriate.

On that - why is anyone broadcasting? Broadcasting costs time and effort. Its not like there is a CocaCola company to chip in a few million bucks of advertisement money to make it worth wild. At best you are just broadcasting your location in a world of people that eat people. I'd put that time and effort into... not dying I guess?

This is another on of those things that I think individually is just a bit grating, but its the larger picture that is the real issue.

The game has no direction. Pawns are refereed to as both colonist and survivors - those are 2 completely different situations with a completely different need and want tree. Colonists would build art and TV. Survivors stop at nothing to escape. Its it Space Western inspired or not?  Is there futuristic tech or not?

I really think Tyson should do an update that includes absolutely 0 new content, and all he does is go back over whats already been done and bring it all in line with whatever vision he has. Currently everything seems all over the place.

giannikampa

I assume they are videogames and not proper TV's
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

grinch

TV is very useful for hospitals, nothing more

Salawat

I constantly forget that the TV is a joy item as well. It seems so out of place in the game. Oh hey, we are all struggling to eat but don't forget about getting a TV.

A book shelf would be a lot more appropriate.

On that - why is anyone broadcasting? Broadcasting costs time and effort. Its not like there is a CocaCola company to chip in a few million bucks of advertisement money to make it worth wild. At best you are just broadcasting your location in a world of people that eat people. I'd put that time and effort into... not dying I guess?

...That seems a little silly.  The father of electronic television was a farmer.  (Though he regretted how the technology was eventually employed).

Get any group of people in a livable situation, and somebody is going to chase a half-baked dream.  Whether it be the rediscovery of the art of broadcasting, or being an admired celebrity personality.

You say you need corporate backers?  Pah!  You have a bunch of folks with drugs, skills, and large periods of time to fill.  The goal of most human life is not simply to survive at all costs...  We tend to value the ability to thrive (live comfortably) over mere survival.  If that wasn't so, we'd have colonized the Moon in the 70's.

This is another on of those things that I think individually is just a bit grating, but its the larger picture that is the real issue.

The game has no direction. Pawns are refereed to as both colonist and survivors - those are 2 completely different situations with a completely different need and want tree. Colonists would build art and TV. Survivors stop at nothing to escape. Its it Space Western inspired or not?  Is there futuristic tech or not?

It's not either/or.  Is there a stage of development in a colony where it's definitely low on the priority list?  He'll yeah!  It doesn't mean you'll have the entire bloody planet in that same state at the same time though.  Not EVERYONE is out to kill and eat you.  In fact quite the opposite.

Just like in real life really