Liquids / Naturally occuring fluids

Started by Vas, February 27, 2014, 12:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vas

Wouldn't it be nice if your planet wasn't such a barren wasteland?  I mean it rains almost CONSTANTLY, and there is no water, anywhere!  A small pond, a lake, or something?  Come on!  Maybe you land on a planet which has a lava lake too?  A small pool of lava either somewhere inside the mountain (magma till found, duh), or even just a surface lava pocket.  This would be useful for any number of things really.  Perhaps even a lake filled with tar, or poisonous water.  Both could be used, one for poison weapons, the other for paved roads for much higher speeds of movement or even making of goo weapons that slow the enemy down rather than doing damage or tar pits where an enemy walks over it and falls in and unless rescued, they die (Rescued via rope).  The lava lakes would be used for either filling a moat with lava (only way would be to tunnel it into the moat and build a bridge over it) or geothermal generators at a higher efficiency than steam vents.

So we have Water,
Drinking, putting out fires, increasing crop efficiency, and just generally very nice looking.

Lava,
increased geothermal generator efficiency, lava moats, random accident of finding and getting seriously hurt or dying in a deep deep mountain.  Making it more risky to excavate deep into a mountain.  Certain warnings in the rock would tell you that you are near lava, if you are paying attention that is.  This would make blasting the rock the way to open a magma pocket rather than mining into it a better way to mine in some areas.

Poison Lake,
Creating poison darts, poison traps which make a poison gas, poison grenades, and create a toxic atmosphere around the lake it's self which hurt your people the longer they are around it, can be purified into water if you have proper tech upgrades and proper tech.

Tar,
Tar pits, paved roads, speed reduction weapons or terrain.  Making terrain covered in tar would slow movement down in it much more than rocks and debris would, up to 50% or more.  Raiders would much rather avoid this terrain and go around it if they can.

What other liquids can we think of?
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

Architect

Until modding with actual code is properly implemented in alpha 3, I reckon people will avoid this. At the moment we're just limited to making objects using parameters already in place, actually making our own parameters and changing the ways they react with each other at the moment will require either full unity and C# knowledge as well as fundamental changes to the core code until proper support is finished. The miracle healing is an example of Tynan's testing for this full programming towards alpha 3 i believe.
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.