A slight change to "Shared Room" debuff and making barracks a bit more ok to use

Started by A Friend, August 19, 2016, 08:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A Friend

It's been discussed before and many (I think) people do find it weird for colonists to be so against sharing rooms. So I propose a teeny weeny little change:

1. Remove the -5 penalty.
2. Lower the overall mood threshold by 5.
3. Pawns get +5 mood when they have their own private room.

Basically just remove the glaring red number that's pressuring people to build private rooms quickly. Solving the complaints of some while nothing changes gameplay wise. People are free to build barrack styled quarters but it's still better if pawns have their own room.

Besides, numerous disturbed sleep debuffs would be enough of a drawback for tightly shared rooms.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Peng Qi

So...don't change anything?

Uh...this seems somewhat like a waste of time.

A Friend

Gameplay wise, yes. But at least it removes a tiny peeve of mine and maybe some other people of "What does these people have against sharing rooms? We just crash landed and you're gonna complain about wanting your own comfy bedroom?" or something along those lines.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Boston

Quote from: A Friend on August 19, 2016, 09:15:07 AM
Gameplay wise, yes. But at least it removes a tiny peeve of mine and maybe some other people of "What does these people have against sharing rooms? We just crash landed and you're gonna complain about wanting your own comfy bedroom?" or something along those lines.

I love you forever. The "shared a bedroom" debuff is probably the most irritating aspect of the whole game for me.

" Listen, guys ........ I know we just crash-landed on this godsforsaken rimworld, where we are struggling to survive and all, with little food, constant attacks, and the weather sucks .... but...... sharing a room with you all really pisses me off. I want my own room!" -breaks down-

Not to mention that, throughout the overwhelming majority of human history, having a private room to sleep in was an extravagant luxury. If you were poor, or even middle-class, it was likely you shared a room, or even a bed, with multiple family members, to save space and to keep warm.

The colonists whining about sharing bedrooms really need to go stuff it. They should get a mood boost if they get a private bedroom, not a debuff if they have to share.

Also, sizes. Hell, my bedroom in real life would be about 2 x 3 squares in Rimworld, with maybe 2 square of actual "open space", and that is plenty enough for one guy. The problem with this is that "stuff" in Rimworld just plain takes up too much space. No reason for a bed to be 1X2, a shelf (that holds two things, mind you), to be 1x2, a pot to be 1x1, etc.