Consider add "Alarm level" for the colony

Started by qsdoosix, November 13, 2017, 08:45:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

qsdoosix

After 3rd time someone goes outside the wall to do something during a raid and get killed , i think an "alarm level" is very important for the game.

The idea is this
there can be 3 ( or more ) alarm level, green (which is "nothing"), yellow (low risk), red (high risk), by setting the alarm level, some outfit and activity zone setting will be override. For example, normally we allow our pawns go anywhere, but by rising a yellow (or red) alarm, they will be limited to a "safe zone" predefined by player. And if the red alarm is raised, then all the pawns will try to find armor and weapon if they don't have one, based on what they are more good at (ranged or melee) And rally together. And all these change will be discard when the alarm is reset.

In fact, it somehow like to be "change the zone restriction and outfit in one click". But it is really useful to manage a colony with 11 pawns.

cmitc1

you can set up zones and restrict colonist to it during dangerous situations.

MajorMonotone

To be honest I think just a set of sirens or lights that can be toggled on or off automatically when a raid comes in would be nice. They could provide a small movement buff to colonists who hear it to allow them to get to the front lines quicker.

anotherrimworld

-1 to the lights idea. We already have a notice in place and there's nothing stopping people from using the buff all the time

BadgeAddict

So, to somewhat modify what I think you are suggesting.
If we could have a DEFCON system, in the right sidebar, which if setup properly could automatically tell both animals and colonists to stick to certain areas.

Example: (Defcon contains 5 levels:
5 (FADE OUT) - Lowest state of readiness
4 (DOUBLE TAKE) - Strengthened security measures
3 (ROUND HOUSE) - Force readiness
2 (FAST PACE) - 1 step below nuclear war
1 (COCKED PISTOL) - Nuclear war is imminent

^All that being said to say this, if you could set up several layers or "allowed areas", with something like: If SideBar defcon is set to
1, no restrictions,
if 2, some restrictions,
if 3, animals are moved to a safe-zone and humans are moved inside of defenses, at least 1 civilian is drafted,
if 4, defenses are activated (powered on) and all animals are moved to an indoor safezone, all violence capable colonists are activated and sent to pre-designated areas to begin defensive measures.
If 5, assume toxic fallout (or tornado), designate only specific indoor areas as "safe" (Like a mountain bunker), all animals are moved to indoor safe zones, base is considered under lock-down.

^Maybe a Mod would do this best, but I would say that item 4 above, being able to designate "defensive positions" for colonists to move to once drafted...would be awesome.

Limdood

We already have what this suggestion suggests.  How about improving the existing system?  My 2 ideas along this line are:

1) have restricted areas and schedules for groups of colonists able to be saved and loaded.  Change all colonists to day shift or night shift, or unrestricted or bunker zone with a single button click....and back to how it was before that.

2) WAKE UP animals who are sleeping when their zones are changed.  Currently animals zoned to graze outside during warmer seasons can really screw a raid (as can animals who wander the base if there aren't enough sleeping spots).  I had a mechanoid raid come into my map at dusk.  I had to spend the entire night on 1x speed while 4 charge blaster and 2 minigun centipedes spent 8 in game hours shooting sleeping chickens outside...in 8 hours, they killed...4 chickens.  Thousands of bullets sprayed around my sleeping chickens, which they slept through for hours.  Sure, had they woken up, i might have lost a couple more (moving while under fire from spray weapons) but the mechs would have attacked the actual base, and if those were muffalos or dogs, then watching them get gunned down with no way to get them to safety would be frustrating in the extreme.

Both of these ideas maintain a "danger alert" feel, but work just fine within the existing structure of the game, without having the game try to guess what I will want my pawns to do.

Bolgfred

I am slightly confused about those "readiness" and "altertmentship"-levels things and stuff.

I would imagine an alert rule mask, which could be toggled for every animal or colonist and gets defined by a statement like this:

when predator/hostile is closer than x fields away from zone y, restrict to zone z

"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

BadgeAddict

I think the hardest part for any of this would be implementation.

qsdoosix

Quote from: BadgeAddict on November 17, 2017, 07:26:05 AM
I think the hardest part for any of this would be implementation.
Well, as i said, it mostly reuses the existing zone and outfit system. But it somehow stores more than 1 outfit and zone settings, and when you change the alarm level, your pawns are set to the bounded zone and outfit. So it should not be too hard to implement.