Breeding alphabeavers is useless.

Started by NeverPire, January 10, 2017, 02:01:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NeverPire

I play in a non-modded game in the A 16 version.

I have tamed two female alphabeavers and one male.

Due to the extremely fast progress of their hunger, they reach always starvation during the night, when they sleep.
It's not a problem, except for the pregnant one. Each time the starvation cancels the gestation.

This feature can be easily reproduced.

You should choose, either you just don't enable the alphabeaver breeding (like for megascarabs), or you allow alphabeavers to don't reach starvation in one night.
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

nccvoyager

If I understand correctly...
Pregnant Alphabeavers will lose their unborn children due to starvation.
Starvation will always occur due to the extremely fast hunger rate of Alphabeavers.
Yes?

Thyme

Bug or feature? ^^

Why would you want animals with that hunger rate? They require 9,6 nutrition/day, which is more than a Thrumbo.
I'm from Austria. If I offend you, it's usually inadvertently.
Snowmen army, Chemfuel Generator, Electric Stonecutting, Smelting Tweak

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Thyme on January 11, 2017, 02:35:51 AM
Bug or feature? ^^

Why would you want animals with that hunger rate? They require 9,6 nutrition/day, which is more than a Thrumbo.

Perhaps that was the only/easy way to get them to eat trees fast enough to make a difference on the map?

nccvoyager

Unfortunately, as the OP mentioned, this makes them impossible to breed once tamed.
No idea how it would be implemented, but a specially created "higher resistance" to starvation-related miscarriage would probably be the most balanced method of fixing this.
Decreased food needs while sleeping would be acceptable, but would not necessarily fix the problem; just delay it, or make it somewhat less likely.
Quicker gestation would be...
Unbalanced, let's say. (There's so many! They're eating everything! No, Lumi, don't shoot at-Now they're coming after us all! Run!)

I would say we need Tynan's input as to whether or not this is WAD and we should abandon Alphabeaver breeding efforts forever.

(I would guess this is not WAD, and is a bug. I mean, shouldn't Alphabeavers be able to bring their unborn children to term at the very least? Not that I would want to on many maps, mind you.)

Rasmussvahn

Here's a thought.
1. Set their food need to that of  a deer or something.
2. Make a new disease which greatly increases their need for food (and all visiting Alphabeavers are afflicted with this).
3. Once tamed (or downed and rescued, or if assigned as starting animals) they can be cured of the feeding frenzy condition.
4. Maybe sometimes tamed beavers can get the disease again for extra fun!
5. Maybe you cannot ever cure it, but have to treat the condition every few days instead.

Thyme

@Blackbird: I know that the crazy hunger rate is needed for the alphabeavers, i was asking OP why he wants to tame them.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Thyme on January 11, 2017, 09:19:05 AM
@Blackbird: I know that the crazy hunger rate is needed for the alphabeavers, i was asking OP why he wants to tame them.

OH, lol, yeah see how it was meant now!

Sinosauropteryx

Try this:

Set a bill to euthanize the pregnant beaver. While your doctor is operating, suspend the bill. The beaver will be anesthetized, and you can order your doc to feed it with meals. When it wakes up, repeat. It will take some micro, but you should be able to keep it sated long enough to give birth.
Whole body          RimWorld addiction

Simulacrum0

how is this a bug? it says right in the description that alphabeavers need a specialized feed or eat like mad.

Thyme

There's definitely something wrong when you can't even get a nights sleep without starving.
The game state's they can eat other stuff than trees. RimWiki says only trees. NeverPire, do you care to test that?

edit: spelling

NeverPire

Sorry, I haven't seen the replies.
I play in permadeath with Cassandra rough and I have now two colonies and twenty-nine colonists. All the time, some trees appear in the middle of my storage, fields, in front of my communication consol, or in my wind turbine field.
I don't have time to order my colonists to cut them all.
Especially because for the youngest trees, the tool (lumberjack) doesn't work.
I have widely enough wood in my storage.
So I have tried to tame some alphabeavers and dispatch them in my colonies.
Unfortunatelly, it's impossible for me to get more than my first three due to this bug.
I must also precise than some traders sell alphabeavers what prove their utility.

I particularly like this idea :
Quote from: Rasmussvahn on January 11, 2017, 08:22:58 AM
Here's a thought.
1. Set their food need to that of  a deer or something.
2. Make a new disease which greatly increases their need for food (and all visiting Alphabeavers are afflicted with this).
3. Once tamed (or downed and rescued, or if assigned as starting animals) they can be cured of the feeding frenzy condition.
4. Maybe sometimes tamed beavers can get the disease again for extra fun!
5. Maybe you cannot ever cure it, but have to treat the condition every few days instead.
I just recommend to create a immunity progress and don't directly care the disease.

An other idea would be reduced the nutrition get by tree eaten but given a normal food need to the alphabeavers.

Thyme, I have tried, they can eat kibble, seeds and trees but not meals.
But the problem is still here, even with kibble, they reach starvation in one night.

I post the  stats of one of my alphabeavers, but I play in French.
légumes = vegetables, arbres = trees, nourriture transformée = processed food and croquettes = kibbles.

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]
I will never do worse than what I do now.
It's what self-improvement means.

Tynan

It is a real design weirdness. I'll take a note of it; I hesitate to call it a bug since all the systems are working as intended. They just create this strange outcome.

Fictionally I imagine the beavers are on some kind of frenzy when you see them; they live and breed differently offscreen.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog