An ingame Help-Menu with user content

Started by Haplo, December 14, 2015, 07:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haplo

I've read this on reddit (especially BellisColdwine description) and thought this might be something useful for RimWorld.
But how could it be implemented, so that users could write descriptions (so that Tynan still have time to code) but we'll still have nice background descriptions ingame?

My idea would be a page that fills itself from XML data. The XML data contains the Header, author and the description itself.
The data would come from a forum page where users could drop their suggestions.
The best suggestions will then find their way into the official XML collection and be in the game.

A possible problem would be the right of usage transfer to Ludeon...

What do you think? Good idea? Bad idea? Suggestions?

Regret

Integrated Wiki?
Would increase immersion.
I approve.

Fluffy (l2032)

To an extent, CCL does this by creating an ingame help system. For the most part, this draws on existing defs to expose information and relationships (e.g. this unlocks that, requires this, is made from that, etc.). It's a bit of a WIP as far as content goes, it's mostly recipes and research at the moment. I've still got adding more (if not all) of the defs on my to do list.

It also allows adding user-made help entries, Latta's Redist.Heat is the only mod I know of that does this at the moment though. It might be an idea to use this as a starting point and extent it with more entries on game mechanics?