Saving before hunting

Started by Shurp, July 28, 2017, 07:12:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

Quote from: Boston on July 29, 2017, 01:40:48 PM
Oh, and there are no aliens in Rimworld.

Fine, a bio-engineered space marine bunker eater gone feral.  We have wargs already; this would be the Heavy Cavalry variant.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Bozobub

Quote from: Shurp on July 29, 2017, 07:53:23 AM
Hunting = no risk, except that 5% of the time it entails risk.

If I knew with 100% certainty the caribou were going to attack, I'd send out a sniper, shoot one, then have him scurry back to base and wait with everyone else in the killbox.  That would be more manageable -- and more entertaining -- then the paranoia of "OK, are they going to attack *this* time?  Nope.  Ok, time to collect the meat bags."
Or you tame dangerous animals instead, at roughly half the risk, and it can often be done by those who can't carry weapons, as well.  Except alphabeavers; taming is far too slow, in that case.  You can send out the hunters after hard-to-hit, small, but relatively safe animals, like turkeys, rabbits, rats, turtles and squirrels to improve their gun skill.
Thanks, belgord!

PictoSyaff

Thats half the fun of the game, dealing with such situations...

I dont send hunters out for pack animals,, 1 wild animal raging isnt too difficult.. a pack of 10 is another story.

P.S. Turn off manual saves..

Shurp

So in other hunting silliness, there's a caribou lying on the ground with over 50 bullet holes in it, and not only is it not dead yet but it's going to take 1.9 hours to bleed to death.

I'm amazed there's still enough caribou left to bleed.  Seems to me there should be nothing left but red paste at this point...
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Boston

...... which is why I use Combat Extended.

A single shot from a colonist skilled in shooting is generally enough to kill an animal, if not outright, then in a few hours from bloodloss.

Combat Extended, and it's ancestor, is one of the mods I literally cannot play Rimworld without at this point. The vanilla combat system is ..... stupid.

sadpickle

At least in Combat Extended they finish a downed animal the logical way, by cutting, instead of standing there pumping infinite bullets into the poor creature.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: sadpickle on July 31, 2017, 02:23:53 PM
At least in Combat Extended they finish a downed animal the logical way, by cutting, instead of standing there pumping infinite bullets into the poor creature.

That is the reason I keep preaching to use shotguns for hunting .. everything you can sensibly designate for hunting is dead after just a few shots .. no better way to train trigger happies.
Also you could designate some animals to your hunter. Bears are my favorite .. others keep suggestion 100 boars ..
Or take the easy road, invest a few hand full of raw food and tame all the animals .. let them walk into your butcher shop by themselves and chop them right there.
If some animals try to bite your tamer, they get a longsword to the face .. ( brawlers make the best tamers )
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Mday

In my last game I had a melee/jogger pawn that I use to manually hurt animal. Installed with full bionics and 2 scyther blades, he alone can survive a animal group revenge event. Works pretty well.

TheMeInTeam

It's true that in the gameplay sense, the inconsistency is a bit annoying.  It's also a bit silly that hunting an elephant or elephant parallel with a bow is significantly safer than hunting a deer because the herd might mob you.

What I don't like about it is that, in practice, the "hunt" feature is often a false choice.  Draft hunting is more efficient, effective, and safer.  One of the best weapons for hunting is grenades (manageable AoE, fewer hits to proc revenge chance, tends to do so much damage it slows revenge animals a lot), which is also silly but whatever.

I get that it needs tradeoffs, but right now the biggest tradeoff is IRL hassle, since if you pay in that currency hunting is 100% safe, but it's not an engaging process.

Shurp

So I thought I'd resurrect this thread to point out a problem with animal mechanics in general:

Assault rifle damage: 7
Arctic fox bite damage: 7
Arctic fox claw damage: 7

Seriously?

Admittedly I understand the game logic -- trying to make firearms less lethal and melee damage more lethal -- but in this instance it's ludicrous.

tyriaelsoban

Quote from: Nainara on July 29, 2017, 11:50:55 AM
It's perfectly reasonable for colonists to be hunted by the savage native wildlife of a faraway planet. Baseline humans probably aren't the top of the food chain on every world.

Actually, we arnt even top of the chain on our own homeworld ...

Boston

Quote from: tyriaelsoban on August 06, 2017, 01:21:05 PM
It's perfectly reasonable for colonists to be hunted by the savage native wildlife of a faraway planet. Baseline humans probably aren't the top of the food chain on every world.

This is entirely incorrect, to the point where I think you are trolling.

Name a predator species that regularly preys on human beings. I will wait.

Humans have been on top of the food chain since we discovered fire.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Shurp on August 06, 2017, 12:02:17 PM
So I thought I'd resurrect this thread to point out a problem with animal mechanics in general:

Assault rifle damage: 7
Arctic fox bite damage: 7
Arctic fox claw damage: 7

Seriously?

Admittedly I understand the game logic -- trying to make firearms less lethal and melee damage more lethal -- but in this instance it's ludicrous.

And fist damage is 6 ..

so like I said shotguns for hunting. assault rifles are stupid ..

Shotgun Damage : 20 vs. 21 Assault, if every shot hits ..
Cooldown between shots : 2.11s ( or 1.71 for trigger happy )  vs. 2.37s ( 1.97 ) + fire rate for 3 shots
first hit counts, no revenge before that .. full damage applied vs. 7-21 dam.
with 80% touch, 87% short vs. 70% touch, 87% short,77% medium  ( shotgun vs. assault ) the shotgun is even more accurate in its range categories.
and normally 2-4 hits are enough to bring down anything up to muffalos, because 20dam are applied to a single bodyzone
instead of 7 on up to 3 different zones.
less range also means less room for pawns to stumble in the line of fire, and only a third the chance of pulling aggro of another animal by missing ..

and if revenge triggers you still got about 2-3 shots before the animal reaches you and you have to flee, while those hits should be enough to either kill the animal or slow it down enough to outrun it. And even if you don't.
A forced buckshot to the face is still 14 more damage than a fist.

if the herd aggros you run and set up cover fire .. no matter which weapon you use.

so worst case scenario .. some bruises and cuts, shooting gallery for everyone, some training for my medic ..

They way you describe hunting I always get the feeling I am doing something wrong.

tyriaelsoban

Quote from: Boston on August 06, 2017, 01:30:35 PM
Quote from: tyriaelsoban on August 06, 2017, 01:21:05 PM

So ill guess you dont consider the North American Brown Bear a predator?
It seriously happens enough times in British Colombia, and up in the northern areas of Alberta.

SpaceDorf

Quote from: Boston on August 06, 2017, 01:30:35 PM

you mean like wolves, lions, bears, tigers, hyenas, giant snakes, sharks, piranhas, crocogators, hippos, boars, mosquitos,  and everything else that is not above eating a lone human ?

Our domination of the food chain is a huge dose of force multipliers .. not that humans are so badass.

Tools, Weapons, Communication, Group Tactics and the overcoming of fear through understanding of natural effects ( fire )
And at least for the last few millenia .. critical mass. There are to much of us, for any other predator to stand a chance.

At my last encounter with true wild animals I knew I was not on top of the food chain.
I was on guard duty at night during maneuver and had a 7,62mm rifle .. when suddenly the bushes started to rustle and
I heard grunting .. the 100 boars had found me .. at least it felt that way when I think back. I guess it was between 20-50 ..
with piglets in between .. so I climbed on a nearby rock and gave my best impression of being invisible.

The last thing I wanted was for the warpigs that lived in an area where tanks trained with live ammunition to notice me ..