Mod Idea/Request Secret Doors

Started by Matthiasagreen, September 05, 2014, 01:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matthiasagreen

I would like a mod that allows you to create a secret door. My current issue with doors (and future lockable doors) is that they are still targeted by enemies first. Most bases have a single entrance set-up that allows you to defend your base form one point. Sometimes, though, there are items on the map that would bea easier to get if you had doors on multiple sides. This would ruin a base set-up do no one does it. The purpose of a secret door would be that it functions as a regular door for your colonists, but enemies (and maybe visitors) would recognize it as any other wall and would not use or target it as a door.

I do not know much about modding. Does the AI differ item perception of enemies and colonists? Could you make such a door? Would anyone besides me use this kind of door? Thoughts and feedback from modders and players would be awesome!
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Monkeysaur

Coenmcj

I think They target the doors because they're weaker than the walls. so making the door I dunno... 50 points stronger than a metal wall could work?
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Stalker102

Couldn't this just be by copying a door (script) and adding a new texture to it?
Life has many Bridges. Don't burn the ones you crossed

Matthiasagreen

Quote from: Stalker102 on September 16, 2014, 04:24:15 PM
Couldn't this just be by copying a door (script) and adding a new texture to it?

As stated before, I don't know much about modding, but wouldn't changing the texture just make it look different and not affect the way colonists and enemies interact with it?
Hi, my name is Matthias and I am a Rimworld Addict. It has been five seconds since my last fix...

Stalker102

It could be done with key Ids only type of thing if your browse the mod releases they have colonist only doors if you want I can whip something like this for you I just need to get the games textures which is the only issue I am having at the current time.
Life has many Bridges. Don't burn the ones you crossed

Matthiasagreen

Well if you'd like, I wouldn't mind having this happen at all. My colony concern would be that even though they are colonist only doors, would they be targeted by raiders or would the raiders ignore them as if they were part of the wall. As mentioned before, maybe it has to do with the health of the door compared to a wall.

skullywag

If targetting is just based on health it wouldnt be hard to just copy the door defs rename them and change the textures and health, what would need some thinking about however is the connected textures for the walls.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Coenmcj

That can't be right... Apparently I posted that on the 9th of August. When I know I posted that months before... Well that's buggy.

Unless I'm suffering a case of Deja Vu.

Ontopic though, Modifying a colonist only door might work, but I'm unsure of how they operate in-game.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Matthiasagreen

It is showing me you posted it on the 9th of September, which sounds right because I only posted this topic in the beginning of the month.

Taleisin

I like the idea in principle, and would definitely find use for them.

My concern would be that it would make normal doors redundant. You could use only secret doors in your base and raiders wouldn't have a clue where to start.

Maybe making them one-way i.e. exiting the base only, would balance them a little. Not sure...

Matthiasagreen

I personally wouldn't have this problem and don't think many others would who want to concentrate their defense on one spot. If I used all secret doors, they could attack me from any angle. If I still have one main entrance to my base, I can control where they come from while still having easy access to the whole map.