[A12d] Ish's Medieval Mods - Update: Alpha 12 and Balance (1 Sep 2015)

Started by IshOfTheWoods, June 24, 2015, 10:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kaballah

The missing recipes thing was a mod conflict and not particularly your fault, but imo you should just add another workbench for your smithing recipes that does not require power to run since it's more in theme with your mod.

The thing with the ground fire spreading to constructed walls is not specific to your mod either, as it turns out, it happens with vanilla walls too.  I don't think it's a bug in unmodded Rimworld (I suspect it's CCL) but it's definitely not your problem.

Kaballah

Also I encourage you to link to JuliaEllie's Blitzer mod, which disables mechanoid incidents (they are not balanced against melee oriented fighters AT ALL)

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=17116.msg185533#msg185533

IshOfTheWoods

Quote from: Kaballah on January 21, 2016, 05:21:39 PM
The missing recipes thing was a mod conflict and not particularly your fault, but imo you should just add another workbench for your smithing recipes that does not require power to run since it's more in theme with your mod.

The thing with the ground fire spreading to constructed walls is not specific to your mod either, as it turns out, it happens with vanilla walls too.  I don't think it's a bug in unmodded Rimworld (I suspect it's CCL) but it's definitely not your problem.

Excellent point about the unpowered anything table.

I think I want to remove the wall anyway. Originally I wanted it built with uncarved rock, but there was no XML-only way to make that convenient for the player. Do you use the earth walls much?

By the way, when I redo the main post as part of my next release, you're definitely getting done "special thanks" recognition :D

Kaballah

I like the notion of ugly walls made out of dirt or rubble, yes, and they make sense to me.  I don't know that you need to take them out, although I do think they should be super ugly and unsuitable for colonist rooms.

AllenWL

Quote from: Kaballah on January 21, 2016, 05:23:21 PM
Also I encourage you to link to JuliaEllie's Blitzer mod, which disables mechanoid incidents (they are not balanced against melee oriented fighters AT ALL)

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=17116.msg185533#msg185533

Well, technically, scythers can be taken out with melee. I have done so a few times. You just need good armor, a good weapon, and preferably loads of attack dogs or the like. Centipedes though... yea, no meleeing that.
However, I think large animals such as rhinos, elephants, and thrumbo's can take them out.

Kaballah

Thrumbos are in about the same league as centipedes in melee, I don't really think anything else is.  Thrumbos are 22 base dmg/110 attack speed, Centipedes are 25 base damage/140 attack speed.  Although it's not terribly uncommon to see elephants or rhinos for sale on trade ships that's very random, and they also have to be trained for at least obedience before they're any use at all in a fight, plus vanilla has no way to do much for them if they're gravely injured (although Latta's ASA/A Dog Said improve that a whole lot).

Actually if your colonists are heavily armored up I guess it would be practical to handle mechanoids with melee.  I dunno, I guess since you always get the mechanoid ship incident before you get actual live mechanoid drops you could just suffer through all the bad psychic vibes and try to get some armor built before cracking the ship.

Kaballah

Thinking about workbenches some more:
I think you should add two separate benches, one that requires no power and can craft wooden bows of various types; and one that requires fuel that can craft the metal armors and weapons. 

Bonus points for this: Instead of power though, add a hopper (steal the code from the nutrient paste dispenser hopper) that requires being filled with wood, which is consumed in reactions to craft metal items.  Rikiki does this with his Fishing Industry mod, although this idea would take more modification.  This would require a compiler and making a custom DLL though.

e: oh hey, 1000101 released a generic hopper code base that might be helpful:
https://github.com/ForsakenShell/Es-Small-Mods/tree/v0.12.3CR/GenericHopper

IshOfTheWoods

I like the hopper idea. I've successfully compiled a test mode, and I'm a programmer by profession (though I've never worked with C#).

For consistency, I think I'll move all weapons and armors to new workbenches (including the current cloth/leather armors).

I've been planning on doing some content removal mods, like removing mechanoids. I've done them before and they're pretty easy so I'll just roll my own. Since you're requesting, I'll bump them up in priority. Anything else modern bothering you besides mechs?

I'm going to take another try at my original idea for stamped earth walls. If it fails, I'll remove them.

AllenWL

I think it'll be quite nice if there was a power-less alternative or different power for making the stone age-middle age stuff.

My castle just doesn't look right with wind turbines and batteries.

RolandDeschain

Quote from: AllenWL on January 24, 2016, 07:49:29 PM
I think it'll be quite nice if there was a power-less alternative or different power for making the stone age-middle age stuff.
this. medieval equivalent power sources please!

Kaballah

- You could adapt power conduit code to instead transfer mechanical power from old style mechanical windmills, although the idea just came to me and I hadn't thought about how you would apply that.  There's good infrastructure for it though.

- Along those lines, mechanical windmills; animal-driven mills (a thing to do with tamed large animals other than just eat them/wait for their milk or wool to automatically fall off)

- A cooking stove that has a hopper for wood, used in meal prep reactions instead of requiring power.

- A drying rack, to preserve meats and fruit without refrigeration (result could be a meal with the kind of durability of packaged survival meal but a low-tech appearance and description); e: a hopper thing again, because you don't stand there over a real world drying rack squeezing moisture out of stuff, and also the meals should probably be low quality and provoke the same kind of negative thought as the nutrient paste dispenser meals do, but on the other hand they don't require a skilled cook.

- A new resource material to use for fuel, oil extracted from meat (rendered down fat)

- Non-powered indoor lighting that requires oil (lanterns, candles, etc); lanterns could be basically hoppers that emit light when their hopper space is filled and gradually consume oil and then go out. e: wooden torch wall sconces, with a hopper that needs to be filled with a log

e: Indoor heating of some sort that is somewhat more efficient than the campfire; again a hopper type construction that is filled with wood (or oil if you decide to try to build that in) and needs to be filled with wood, basically a fireplace or heating stove

Kaballah

For many of these hopper applications, I'm not talking about a building with a separate hopper, but rather just using the hopper as the building itself, which I think you can probably adapt from that generic hopper code.  Wall torches and fireplace/heating stoves would be appropriate that way.

Kaballah

Kaballah

More fuel materials:
Peat, which would grow on marsh/marshy soil and could be marked for harvest, as a substitute fuel instead of wood.  Possibly you could allow farming this on appropriate soil types although that would require modification of farming zone code and might be a major pain in the ass.  Creating a custom harvestable plant is something already done in Rikiki's caveworld flora mod (which is great btw).

Coal, placed at map gen in blotches the same way metal blotches are placed.

Charcoal, made from wood e: or peat, as it turns out

Kaballah

It comes to mind that all these fires going on indoors should require chimneys or flues made of metal or construction blocks, to carry smoke outside; you could adapt Latta's duct network to do that.  If you light a stove and it's outdoors, no big deal; if you light it indoors, and there's no chimney/flue, it stinks up the indoor room and any connected by vents (provoke bad thought in pawns) and also makes pawns sick (a new health condition "hypoxia" or "carbon monoxide poisoning" like hypothermia/heat stroke that gradually builds up, at some high percent pawn is incapacitated/needs treatment, at 100% pawn dies)