Music is not played when default device is switched

Started by ChildishJack, September 05, 2016, 04:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChildishJack

A odd bug (I think) I discovered as of the most recent update (15c) - I cannot confirm this is update specific, I have no memory of testing it before the update though.

I use a logitech G930 wireless USB headset, and a standard headphone jack speaker system on my computer (Win 10 64 bit, intel i7-4790, GTX 1080). I generally have the USB set as the default audio device, and switch to speakers as needed through the default Windows Sound manager.

If I load RimWorld up to menu (Or in-game) with the USB headset as default, the sound plays fine. If I load the game up with the speakers as the default device, the music plays fine.

However, if I load up with the USB headset as default, and then switch to speakers, the sound does not play on the now default device.
The expected behavior of sound routing to the default device works in other games (I only tested Team Fortress 2), by the same testing method of switching default device when the game was loaded up.

makkenhoff

If I'm understanding you correctly, that would be an issue with your OS; not RimWorld specifically. Any program will do this behavior, even your browser.

ChildishJack

As mentioned in the original post, I've tested it with other games, and they do not exhibit this behavior. Nor do web browsers or any other application I have found. If it is my OS, its weird that it works correctly for everything I use but this one program.

makkenhoff

Quote from: ChildishJack on September 05, 2016, 07:37:05 PM
As mentioned in the original post, I've tested it with other games, and they do not exhibit this behavior. Nor do web browsers or any other application I have found. If it is my OS, its weird that it works correctly for everything I use but this one program.

Well, that's the way my setup works, if I start RimWorld with my speakers as default under playback devices (which is managed by Windows, not logitech in my case), if I switch my headset to default under playback devices, it doesn't change RimWorld's audio, nor my brower's.

Are you by chance unplugging the headset, and then your audio manager intercepts it? I apologize for the back and forth, but trying to troubleshoot and thus replicate a bug without all the information you may need is always troublesome.

ChildishJack

It's managed by Windows for me too. If I have the default device set as my usb headset, I then load the game fully. After the game is loaded, I switch the default device to my headphone jack speakers and no sound comes out. All I touch is software, no hardware.

The back and forth is fine! I dont mind, I'm not sure what more info would be helpful.

makkenhoff

Now, if you have it set to default to speakers and then try switching it to USB headset, does it also give the same result? I'm surprised that it works at all doing that, given my experience with windows 7. It leads me to wonder if it isn't something windows 10 is doing for you, and failing to do it for RimWorld.

Since TF2 uses Source, and RimWorld uses Unity, they both handle audio differently. It might be a good test to try a different game that uses Unity, and post your results.