Targetable limbs

Started by Facepunch, January 18, 2015, 05:31:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facepunch

Prolly a bad title, but couldn't think of any other way to word it. Basically, I'm killing too many enemies. I want to take more prisoners, but 9/10 times I split their torsos open and they're dead before they hit the ground. I think it'd be helpful to have a system where you could set your sharpshooter(s) to target a specific part of their body (Head, torso, legs, arms, etc.)

Eleazar

Agree it would be very nice to have a less fatal way of taking down someone. Especially when a prisoner or colonist goes berserk, and you have overwhelming numbers, but don't want to do permanent damage.

I think having specialized weapons is a better solution than bogging down combat with aiming at limbs.  These weapons wouldn't be as effective at taking someone down as fatal weapons, so there is a real trade-off between them. Examples, a billy club, thrown net, tear gas, rubber bullet air gun.

Facepunch

Mmm, thats actually a good idea. Tear gas. Short range, little to no damage, but takes them down for a half a minute or so. Melee, so far, seems the most effective way to take prisoners. Issue is, melee never works in anything but your own house. Never once have any of my colonists even been touched by a melee, excluding animals.

UnassumingWhiteGuy

You could have weapons like tasers. Rapid takedown, but limited to melee range. Or tranquilizers. Long range non-lethal, but hard to hit with. The problem I could see with it though it that raiding parties would become much too likely to yield live prisoners, bolstering your numbers too quickly. Maybe tie a colonist's ability to use such weapons properly to a relevant skill? If the skill is too low, the weapon could become accidentally lethal. That or make them have limited ammo that's really hard to manufacture.

woolfoma

Quote from: UnassumingWhiteGuy on January 20, 2015, 12:41:25 AM
You could have weapons like tasers. Rapid takedown, but limited to melee range. Or tranquilizers. Long range non-lethal, but hard to hit with. The problem I could see with it though it that raiding parties would become much too likely to yield live prisoners, bolstering your numbers too quickly. Maybe tie a colonist's ability to use such weapons properly to a relevant skill? If the skill is too low, the weapon could become accidentally lethal. That or make them have limited ammo that's really hard to manufacture.
make it like the current rocket launchers, one use, but instant incap with no damage. must buy it from a trader for 500-1000 silver.
Some sort of psychic wave has swept over the landscape. Your colonists are okay, but...

It seems many of the Centipedes in the area have been driven insane.

UnassumingWhiteGuy

Quote from: woolfoma on January 20, 2015, 12:45:30 AM
Quote from: UnassumingWhiteGuy on January 20, 2015, 12:41:25 AM
make it like the current rocket launchers, one use, but instant incap with no damage. must buy it from a trader for 500-1000 silver.

Perfect. Limited supplies and unpredictable availability force you to decide which people are worth using up such a valuable investment. Makes for good stories.