Wounds that I can ignore.

Started by Cibi, January 29, 2015, 04:01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cibi

Now, I know that wounds are something that you can't ignore in the long run, but in the midst of battle, sometimes you have to ignore them in the short term. My question is this, which are serious enough that I have to immediately undraft, get that soldier in a bed, and treated, and which could I possibly ignore and keep fighting for the moment.

Its a little confusing sometimes, like this one combat, my main fighter was shot in the heart, and I think the color has something to do with the intensity of the wound, it was yellow, but she was able to keep fighting through the entire engagement with little problems, we got her to a bed immediately after the fight, she healed just fine. I've also had a neck wound, that nearly bled my character out before I could get her to a doc. I've had entire limbs shot off, and could continue to fight until its over. Its just odd, vitality is a hard thing to deduce, and I like that, I love the complex and detailed damage model, but I am just having difficulty reading it.

Also, a little suggestion, combat drugs, have it be a medicine thing, you can get your doc to administer a cocktail of drugs to your soldiers, that will decrease pain from wounds, and perhaps allow them to ignore some wounds and keep fighting at tip top shape. Could give them a debuff to their mood after they have worn off, or have it be a medical thing, that needs to be treated, for balance.

skullywag

its the bleeding you need to watch. A bleeding yellow wound is waaaay worse than a plain old yellow wound. I usually bolt if its 2 bleeding yellows, dependant on situation of course. Hover over everything theres a lot more detail in the popups.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Cibi

Quote from: skullywag on January 29, 2015, 04:06:31 AM
its the bleeding you need to watch. A bleeding yellow wound is waaaay worse than a plain old yellow wound. I usually bolt if its 2 bleeding yellows, dependant on situation of course. Hover over everything theres a lot more detail in the popups.
Yea, I noticed, a lot of wounds have something like "20% bleeding" or something like that. I always ignore the bleeding under 10%, but things like neck wounds, that have 50%+ bleeding are an instant beding.

skullywag

You wanna really amp up the difficulty...try no a no pausing game...managing wounded mid fight is hectic as hell...fun...but hectic.

Cibi

Also, a couple more questions. What does protection actually do? I've given a couple of my colonist power armor, but it seems like they still take a bunch of wounds in combat regardless. I guess its a noticeable different, as most wounds, generally, are a lot more minor in power armor, but I want to know the dirty details.

Oh, and what is the stat "sharp multiplier" for? I was looking on the wiki, at clothing specifically, and hyperweave has a sharp multiplier of x4.

Cibi

Quote from: skullywag on January 29, 2015, 04:16:59 AM
You wanna really amp up the difficulty...try no a no pausing game...managing wounded mid fight is hectic as hell...fun...but hectic.
I play on challenge, and I am comfortable there. Also, I thought that the only thing that difficulty affected was the number of enemies spawned in an attack, wounds and damage remains the same, correct?

skullywag

its more deflection. Have you ever shot a turtle and saw this damned sparks flying? THATS protection at work. Higher sharp protection means cut damage does less. Im not sure melee works the same as bullets, i dont think ive ever seen the sparks and heard the clink when melee fighting, but have deffo git it when wearing power armour.

skullywag

Quote from: Scienta on January 29, 2015, 04:21:09 AM
Quote from: skullywag on January 29, 2015, 04:16:59 AM
I play on challenge, and I am comfortable there. Also, I thought that the only thing that difficulty affected was the number of enemies spawned in an attack, wounds and damage remains the same, correct?

correct. im just stating have a self imposed rule of no hitting pause...makes the game waaay more hectic in fights.

Cibi

Pausing is almost automatic now for me, I would have to be able to disable pause all together I think to do that. Would be kind of interesting having to plan engagements in real time, the longer I take to get moving, the farther they get to shelling.

Boboid

Protection is mitigation, meaning that shots to the affected body parts do less damage but will still cause a wound.
It's actually very important, in addition to causing less severe ( Bleeding ) wounds enough mitigation can reduce the damage of some guns below the point where they would be fatal if they were to hit certain areas. Eyes and most organs - for example - only have around 10 hitpoints.

With regards to wounds you can/can't ignore, it's generally the bleeding rate that kills colonists in the long run, but a destroyed Torso or vital organ can do it too. Generally keep an eye on the health of your colonist's torsos ( They have 40 hitpoints ) and blood totals ("Whole body" blood loss starts to display after a certain point, and that's the easiest way to measure blood loss )

With regards to the colours of the injuries, they correspond to the status of the affected body part. The more damage to that bodypart, the redder it gets.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Bodog999

Sharp deflects bullets and other sharp things
Blunt deflects rock falls and melee hits
Electric reduces damage taken by lightning (or other electric hazards)
Fire reduces and deflects damage taken by fire (for example when your colonist is on fire)

yellow non-bleeding wounds you can ignore for a little while, bleeding needs an eye on it, and red body parts (especially torso, neck and head) you need to pull em back a bit. Also keep an eye out on the whole body blood loss below 40-50% ish its ok for a bit above 50 they need immediate medical attention.

GlassDeviant

I could never manage a dozen people without hitting pause, any more than I am capable of controlling multiple bodies with my own RL brain in real time. For one, I have no idea what their condition is without pausing and checking, because their theoretical nervous system isn't wired into my real brain.