Incapable of violence balance issue

Started by LeoTiger1986, August 04, 2014, 11:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoTiger1986

Hi I like to start the game with the random colonists I'm initially given rather than magically cherry picking who survives the spaceship crash.  That just sounds like cheating to me.

The AI does not seem to give a shit if you have a person incapable of violence, especially in the beginning.  I got crippled in january, the first damn month, because the first attack on my colony was three raiders with pistols landing on my base vs my other two people who i also gave pistols.  I suppose I could improve this situation temporarily by arresting visitors and recruiting them, I am unaware of how much this affects hostility towards the colony, but pissing off other tribes and villages should (in theory) be a bad idea, shouldn't this provoke a search and rescue party?  There is no guarantee that I would have even recruited them anyway.  I like that the game is challenging but it's suppose to be about a story right?  It's not much of a story when something like this is not being considered by the storyteller AI.  If the AI is not going to take this into consideration in the storytelling, than maybe all people should be capable of violence, or at least the initial 3 colonist.  I thought I saw a video with a nonviolent colonist using a mortar, which should be a bug.

ZestyLemons

This should probably be under suggestions rather than bugs, but sort of agree that the AI should recognize non-violent colonists in the early game.

Still though, you could make up for lost firepower with some turrets.
Help out with the wiki!

Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Divaya/
Wiki: http://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/User:Zesty

Feel free to contact me about wiki questions or wiki admin stuff.

bobucles

I suspect that non violent citizens can still use mounted turrets. The attribute seems to stop them from using firearms or melee, without checking if their station is also a weapon.

A single base turret takes care of most your early game needs, if it is a bit expensive. You can also improve combat chances by building yourself cover while denying enemy cover. Randomly placed doors seem to be effective, as is any randomly placed wall or sandbags. Mod packs offer more mounted turrets and superior cover options, as well as really crappy options to "offer" your enemies.