mechanoids way to OP and more and more OP in every single patch?

Started by zandadoum, August 23, 2015, 04:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TLHeart

Quote from: zandadoum on August 27, 2015, 12:58:45 PM
Quote from: TLHeart on August 27, 2015, 12:09:47 PM
Quote from: zandadoum on August 27, 2015, 11:44:29 AM
Quote from: kahlzun on August 27, 2015, 11:22:29 AM
Personally, I feel that the mechanoids are difficult, but about right.

It is good to have an enemy you fear to come, one which you must fight him on his terrain, away from your familiar ground with your turrets and your walls.
Or you can set fire to them and kill them with this (disclosure: unsure if it works in a12)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzA-6OrLPas
And what when a mech raid drops on top of your base?

So easy to kill when they drop INTO your base, hide inside, they will make their way to the turrets to die. And I can take shots at them while they move from the doorways, flank them, confuse them, oh so easy to take down any raid that drops into the base, as that is my strong hold.

seems like your experience is quite different from mine. granted, i only use to get drops "into" my base late game, but when that happens, the first thing they do is shoot a few inferno cannons around, setting everything on fire (i still build some stuff in wood as i think it looks nicer than granite or steel stuff for example)
second thing they do, is kill every single pet that happens to be closeby
third thing they do is one shot everyone that dares to peak out of a door.

and i have never happened them to go for the turrets first. always go for the colonists or whatnot. remember, i said INSIDE YOUR BASE. as in: the freaking bedrooms. take into account that not every player likes to dig into a mountain, some prefer to build stuff "outside" and there they can drop through any constructed roof.

now, you get to year 3-5. maybe 30+ colonists. mech raids are huge. and if they get that close, it's basically game over with absolutely NO chance of survival. if you manage to keep a few guys alive, you won't survive much longer afterwards. and mechs don't give up, like raiders do.
makes me feel like the SNES Jurassic Park game... you played (and enjoyed) the game and then suddenly you are done and all you get is a disapointing stupid black screen with a text saying "congratulations" xD

I never build into a mountain. I build open bases, where when they land inside the base, they have LOS to a  turret. They will always target the turret first. I also pause the game, move each colonist, fire, duck for cover, rinse and repeat.  And in close quarter combat, which inside my base it will be, emp grenades and frag grenades take mechs down quickly. A mech can ONLY target one thing at a time, so that colonist hides, while the others all take a shot, the mech turns to change targets, that target hides, and the others take a shot.  It is all about tactics.

A mech trapped inside a bedroom, I just let him destroy that bedroom, will keep him occupied while I destroy his buddies.

Wood bases are vulnerable to fire, that is a decision you make, and have to live with the consequences of that decision.  Understand how fire works, 2 tile wide firebreaks stop the spread of fire. Floors do not burn.

Mechs NEED to be powerful, and NO they are not over powered, just difficult, until you understand how to flank, and destroy.

I have had 30 mechs land in the housing complex of my base, I had 28 colonist at the time... I lost ZERO colonist. Now it took a whole lot of rebuilding from the fires, but the colony survived. That was in 11.

In 12, I have had the 2 poison ships early, followed quickly by the evil ship... just popped them open one at a time. The mechs are tethered to the ship, and can not range long distance from the ship, until the ship is below 50%.  I only had 4 colonist, lost none. Survival rifle, shotgun from raider, plasteel knife and shield, and a pistol. Again about tactics, not a head on group assault. Lots of micro management of positions.

You want to play on extreme, accept the consequences that you will be destroyed at some point.

Veneke

Quote from: TLHeart on August 27, 2015, 01:21:30 PM
I never build into a mountain. I build open bases, where when they land inside the base, they have LOS to a  turret.

This is interesting. In my longer games I've found that my turrets simply won't cover the entirety, or even the majority, of the colony. Could you post a screenshot of one of your bases? I'm very curious to see what trade-offs you're making to get this to work.

QuoteLots of micro management of positions.

Again, this is the crux of the issue. No other threat requires the same level of micromanagement as mechanoids. They're a spike in the difficulty that is problematic, in terms of how the game progresses, when they arrive early.

Ithildae

I have hundreds of hours in Rimworld, and have been with the mechanoids from the beginning, and I'd like in.

First of all, I sympathize with everyone that fear for an easier game. Rimworld is not supposed to be easy, the way I interpret the game, we make a story of a colony as we play. The unlimited playability comes from the fact that no two colonies are the like.

But every colony gets raided by mechs.

Mechanoids are a problem - not because they are hard, solar flares and blights can also be "hard" all depending on your colony and situation. They are a problem because the difficulty stops following a progressive path. We veterans of Rimworld know that even in 12a we can still pause, attack, hide as the mech shoots and rinse and repeat. For a new player however - the experience as I understand many of these worried posts - is that they get slaughtered. And not even new play, but your average player even. 

Mechs can be strong - but not that early in the game. The problem as I see mechanoids, is that they come very early on, and they wreck havoc on unprepared colonies. Against a strong raid, you can always fight defensively, lose structures instead of men. With mechs a scythe might simply walk up and shred your colonists, I get this problem. I get this problem because I introduce friends to this game, and they share their experiences.

On the other hand. Mechanoid attack might in some, and often the case in early attacks, offer the grand prize. An AI. I do not think the reward justifies this seemingly unbalanced early game attack that whilst random, seems inevitable at any normal or higher difficulty.

The solution will have to be adding weaker mech attacks, and then send those early on. Medium wealth colonies might not be prepared for such an attack that we are seeing today.

My concerns are for players on cassandra classic at "rough." Players on a higher difficulty or on random storyteller should be more experienced in the game.

IronjawJimbo

Quote from: Ithildae on August 27, 2015, 02:00:43 PM
My concerns are for players on cassandra classic at "rough." Players on a higher difficulty or on random storyteller should be more experienced in the game.
Cassandra Rough player chiming in here.

I've always found the Manhunter Warg packs of 20+ to be a bigger threat than any of the Mechanoid ships or raids I've gotten. While I won't deny that my first encounter with them was pretty bad, So was my first encounter with sappers. (Molotovs into the same wall as my bedrooms = 500 degree deathrooms). I probably lost more to sappers than I ever have to Mechanoids. Once you realise, "Oh, These things have better weapons than me", you just have to treat them as the threat they are, I.E., Carefully.  I look forward to the bastards at this point, As I need the Plasteel

Rahjital

I think it's important to have a deadly threat early in the game. Mechanoids are the game's wake-up call boss. They teach you that sometimes the game is simply not fair, that you can be heavily outgunned and overpowered by the enemy, and that you must make up for that in different ways. You might lose a couple of colonists or even entire colonies until you find what their weakpoints are and how to effectively use them, but those skills are needed once you get into a late game battle against overwhelming odds.

Bob_Namg

Quoteplayskool-izing
Based Tynan

Anyways OP if you want an easier Randy Random (a semi-spontaneous mode just w/ the events not being able to be within <week month or year>) just ask someone to mod it or code that stuff yourself.
"Hon hon hon"
-Anonymous, France

zandadoum

Quote from: Bob_Namg on August 27, 2015, 06:41:04 PM
Quoteplayskool-izing
Based Tynan

Anyways OP if you want an easier Randy Random (a semi-spontaneous mode just w/ the events not being able to be within <week month or year>) just ask someone to mod it or code that stuff yourself.
this has nothing to do with RR (on any difficulty) anymore as people have complained about the same problems on ALL storytellers. just read through the past pages of this post

and thanks to the complaints Tynan found some bug(s?) with the Poison Ships at least.

TLHeart

Quote from: zandadoum on August 27, 2015, 07:01:36 PM
Quote from: Bob_Namg on August 27, 2015, 06:41:04 PM
Quoteplayskool-izing
Based Tynan

this has nothing to do with RR (on any difficulty) anymore as people have complained about the same problems on ALL storytellers. just read through the past pages of this post

and thanks to the complaints Tynan found some bug(s?) with the Poison Ships at least.

Actually, those were not bugs, they were happening as intended. He just nerf the event to stop people from complaining that the game is hard.

Veneke

Quote from: TLHeart on August 27, 2015, 10:18:34 PM
Actually, those were not bugs, they were happening as intended. He just nerf the event to stop people from complaining that the game is hard.

See, I've a feeling that folk aren't actually reading what's being said. Complaints that the game is hard, or that Randy is random, aren't justified. First, it's an alpha. Difficulty is kind of a crapshoot. Second, Randy's whole reason to exist is to be random. It wouldn't make sense for him to be constrained.

However, there is an issue insofar as early mechanoids represent a difficulty spike that throws progression out of whack. It's not that mechanoids are hard, it's that they're significantly harder to take on than any other threat. So you have a progression of threats that goes something like this: easy, easy, hard, easy, easy, moderate, moderate, very hard, moderate, moderate, stupidly hard, hard, hard.

I'm being overly simplistic here to make the point clearer but that's effectively the pattern. The threats start off being very easy to handle. Then you'll get a mechanoid event and the difficulty spikes. Then you're back to threats that are relatively easy to handle and progress according to the development of your colony. It's that inconsistent progression which is at fault here, and which Tynan has made attempts to rectify by pushing the start date of mechanoids back a little.

kahlzun

ongoing progression would get boring without those spikes though..
Look for me on the KSP forums!
Rimworld. The game where getting a cannibal psychopath with bloodlust is a good thing.

zandadoum

Quote from: TLHeart on August 27, 2015, 10:18:34 PM

wrong

Quote from: Tynan
I'm looking at the code and there may be some issues here anyway with the poison ships multiply the number of mechanoids. So I may have to fix that.
source: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=15502.msg163372#msg163372

so you can all get off your elitists horses, Tynan did read opinions, Tynan analyzed the situation, Tynan found some bugs in the code, Tynan adressed the issue as he saw fit.
END
OF
STORY

and as you see, people from all storytellers and difficulties are complaining that mechanoids are too OP, specially when thrown at you early game. having to recurr to cheesy tactics or mods is not how everyone wants to play his game.

User was temp-banned for this post in addition to previous inflammatory posts

RemingtonRyder