Thrumbofur: Worse than Devilstrand clothing

Started by FMK, September 06, 2016, 08:11:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FMK

On any piece of clothing that has a base of 7% sharp armor or worse (aka, all clothes but jackets), Devilstrand significantly outperforms Thrumbofur of the same quality because of the +5% to the base sharp armor that Devilstrand gives -- even though Devilstrand only multiplies sharp by 180% while Thrumbofur multiplies it by 300%. Devilstrand also more or less ties with Thrumbofur for blunt armor.

Seems pretty silly for something that's significantly less consistent to obtain and worth almost double.

cultist

Realistically, you can only grow devilstrand reliably in about half the biomes. And even then, it takes so long that there's a good chance of a blight destroying your crops. But I agree it should not be a top-tier material when it's renewable and essentially free as long as you have the time/luck/skill to grow it.

FridayBiology

Agreed however, I no longer bother much with devilstrand until late late late game, and while every animal that enters my map is killed, frozen and butchered, I like to have my colonists all wearing the same leather clothing/uniforms as it looks nice. Which is normally hare, deer or boar, with anything extra being sold to traders for steel and stuff.
Yes another god damn youtuber.
 https://www.youtube.com/user/FridayBiology

ShadowTani

Quote from: cultist on September 06, 2016, 10:13:14 AM
And even then, it takes so long that there's a good chance of a blight destroying your crops.

Actually, I don't think devilstrand is affected by the blights anymore; at least all my devilstrand mushrooms where entirely spared when I had a blight yesterday.

Shurp

Ditto, it looks like the blight/devilstrand event was so annoying that it was decided that shrooms would be immune. 
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Dingus

Who the hell would wear Thrumbofur? Sell it! One of my tailors made a Legendary Thrumbofur duster that sold for $14,000.
Quote from: Noctis on September 13, 2016, 03:56:44 PM
No rest for the staggeringly ugly and abrasive, I guess.

FMK

Quote from: Dingus on September 15, 2016, 11:46:35 PM
Who the hell would wear Thrumbofur? Sell it! One of my tailors made a Legendary Thrumbofur duster that sold for $14,000.
That's the thing though, high worth things in RimWorld almost always have alluring other use(s) to force you to choose between functionality and value.

Things with higher qualities, for instance, get better stats in whatever is relevant but also sell for significantly more.

Hyperweave sells for a ton but is so hard to get and also makes the best combat-related clothing in the game.

High quality sculptures sell for a ton, but are also very effective for getting all sorts of mood-related bonuses.

Thrumbo horns are worth a good bit, but are also pretty much the best thing for melee until you get a high skill crafter.

Plasteel is the highest value raw resource in the game, but not only is it used in so many things, it also unarguably makes the best doors/turrets in the game, as well as having the highest health when used for walls.

Devilstrand is equally valuable for combat-clothing and for making money.

Thrumbofur and what it makes as it currently stands, however, is only useful for selling.

Dingus

Quote from: FMK on September 16, 2016, 12:45:48 AM

Thrumbo horns are worth a good bit, but are also pretty much the best thing for melee until you get a high skill crafter.

Scyther Blades do 20 damage each for a total of 40 compared to the 15 of a thrumbo horn

FMK

Quote from: Dingus on September 18, 2016, 08:59:10 PM

Scyther Blades do 20 damage each for a total of 40 compared to the 15 of a thrumbo horn
If you want to severely gimp the pawn for being able to do anything else useful, and want them to murder/maim anyone they social fight with, sure.

Which, imo, makes them significantly worse than a thrumbo horn even if they do more DPS.

Dingus

Quote from: FMK on September 18, 2016, 09:26:52 PM
Quote from: Dingus on September 18, 2016, 08:59:10 PM

If you want to severely gimp the pawn for being able to do anything else useful, and want them to murder/maim anyone they social fight with, sure.

Which, imo, makes them significantly worse than a thrumbo horn even if they do more DPS.

Just get a Jogger/Brawler with full bionics, a personal shield and scyther blades for an unstoppable killing machine.