Theoretical Research, epic art

Started by Mendel, August 13, 2016, 12:20:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mendel

update: I made theoretical research mod, first implementation just adds a dummy research option of sorts. You´re welcome to try it if you want to. Basically this accomplishes nothing but giving xp to your researcher pawn like any other research option would... but this will almost never complete so you can keep researching this when everything else has been researched. It´s not quite what my original idea was but it might be better than nothing. :)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=746660838

original post:

Thing #1

So I ran out of things to research and now my scientist is effectively reduced to a cleaning lady. This breaks immersion somewhat.

So, add a theoretical research option!
For a start this might also give bonus to future research so you might want to research some theoretical research even early on.

Have multiple/infinite chained theoretical research options that are increasingly expensive to research and give less and less bonus ending up with researching just for the fun of researching and get no advantage from that other than the "fun" a passionate pawn might get from that.

For example, you can choose to research theoretical research 5 that gives you +2% research speed if you cant afford the multi analyser and ran out of less advanced things that you want to research or flat our researched everything that doesn´t need one.

You can still research theoretical research when you have ran out of things to research so your scientist can still have fun times researching the digits of pi or whatever.

You could have theoretical research that can be done on a basic research station and advanced theoretical research that requires advanced research station.

Thing #2

Even larger pieces of art. Something absolutely massive like building a pyramid or a ginormous statue outside. Something that will keep an artist occupied for years. Would be so beautiful if done by a skilled artist that it would be the best ever place next to your horseshoe pin :)

SpaceDorf

Awesome.
Easy to implement suggestions that increase gameplay value and lategame content with ressources that are allready in the game :)

I always give those my support +1  ( like )

I can't even find something to improve or critisize on the idea  :o

--- EDIT ---

But I still forgot something :)

CALL IN THE MODDERS !!
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Mendel

Yes, I supposes this would be relatively easy to mod. Too bad I dont know how to.

First step would maybe be adding one theoretical research option that can almost never complete, (something like 999999 research points to complete) and gives no benefit (other than training the scientist in his research skill like as if he was researching any other option.).

Mendel

Okay so I guess I´ll just try to make this happen:

First step will be the simplest possible additional research that almost never completes and accomplishes nothing except giving standard research xp to the researcher pawn.

I made a thread on mods forum since Im a nub modder so with a little help I will probably get this done.

Here is progress so far :)

I´ll let you know when you can download this :)

Mendel

Simple version is up on workshop. It has only been tested on my computer. worked for me. Should work for anyone but I cant be 100% sure :)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=746660838

Draegon

+1 to the idea, maybe the general research could give boosts to various thing the colony has, improved crafting and what not.