Suggestion: ERB's Barsoom Mods

Started by AcetheSuperVillain, November 09, 2019, 08:32:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AcetheSuperVillain

I see a lot of fantasy and sci-fi mods, but I haven't seen anyone do a mod based on my favorite author, Edgar Rice Burroughs. 

If you want to do this mod and need an artist, let me know, I can do art. 

The best ERB property for RimWorld would definitely be [img=https://barsoom.fandom.com/wiki/Barsoom]http://Barsoom[/img].  Barsoom is actually the Martian word for Mars, ERB depicts it as an ancient but dying world, with the remnants of high tech cultures clinging to life, while beasts and savages around them become more wild and brutal as the planet slips further into decay. 

There are 4 main humanoid inhabitants of Barsoom, Red, White, Black and Yellow Martians.  It is implied that the 4 races once lived in harmony, but the White, Black and Yellow people isolated themselves to the point of becoming only myths and legends to the Reds, who are the most populous race on Barsoom.  The Whites are more technologically advanced than the Reds, and the Blacks more technologically advanced than them.  The Yellows seem to be mostly on par with Reds, but maintain their isolation by means of a very specific defensive technology and the secluded icy mountain terrain of the Martian arctic.  It is stated that Martian Humanoids lay eggs, as mammals on Mars are rare and nearly extinct (though John Carter of Earth marries the Red Martian Dejah Thoris and has a son who is born of egg.  I think it's sort of implied that John Carter was already a Martian who ended up on Earth somehow and then came back to Mars, but then his son has half of John Carter's high gravity Earthling strength.)  (Also, technically it's incorrect that live birth or egg laying makes us "mammals".  Mammaries make us mammals.  There are mammals that lay eggs and reptiles that do live birth.  Live birth makes us Eutherian, it could be that most Martians are actually Monotremes or Synapsids.) 

There is another quasi-humanoid race known as the Green Martians.  These are monstrous people, with tusks, bulging eyes and four arms.  As most of the native animals of Barsoom are also multi-limbed, it is implied that the Greens are descended from native Martian organism, while the true humanoids may have some alternate origin (except for the egg-laying thing).  Green society believes in a savage lifestyle for a savage planet, and have a fierce warrior culture that actively engages in blood sports and raids against the Reds and other Green tribes. 

There are numerous savage beasts native to Barsoom, some of the most memorable are the White Apes, massive hexapod gorilla-like creatures with an incredibly violent temperament.  They are said to be somewhat intelligent, more so than the apes of Earth, but they are either not as intelligent as the humanoid Martians or just too violent to manage a society.  Banths are known as the Barsoomian Lion, they have ten legs and a mouth full of razor teeth.  Banths are among the last remaining, if not the very last, Martian mammals.  Calots are domesticated by Green Martians with a dog-like temperament, though like all Barsoomian creatures, more savage.  Thoats are horse-like creatures.  Zitidars are mammoth-like creatures, hunted for their meat and skins, but also raised as draft animals by the Greens.  The holy Valley of Dor is guarded by creatures known as Plant Men, a kangaroo-like biped with tentacle arms, a single eye and a slashing tail that can split skulls.  They eat plants, but require blood as well. 

More later, I need to go to work now...