Carpet not very beautiful anymore

Started by Eleazar, February 24, 2015, 04:49:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eleazar

A cell of carpet used to have a beauty of 5.  Now it is just a 2.  Smoothed stone floors however, are a 4, which is the best of the things i've tried in my base.

This doesn't make much sense to me -- a lot more work goes into carpet, so why bother?  Is this intentional?

42BelowVodka

i just noticed the same thing, doesnt seem right to me

MsMeiriona

I feel like it must have been an accident. I went into my files and tweaked it to 5 to match the amount of cloth it takes. (it was 5 previously, wasn't it?)

Boboid

Well the entire mood system got a balance pass, leaving beauty completely unchanged would've lead to some wonky situations.

As is I don't mind the change, flooring was too cheap for the effect it gave. The colony wealth-value of carpet is tiny and it trivialized making areas beautiful compared to the wealth->beauty ratio of sculptures.

Now if you want happier colonists you've got to be willing to put in more work, more resources, and fight more pirates.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Cazakatari

I can see the need to balance, but the fact that carpet has to be researched, is time-consuming to make, yet isn't any better than other floors is silly.

Since all colonists seem to be shoe less, I wouldn't mind if just walking onto a carpet square gave a separate "soft floor" mood increase.  Though that would be more complicated that just making it more expensive and increasing its beauty

42BelowVodka

Quote from: Cazakatari on March 03, 2015, 02:13:16 PM
I can see the need to balance, but the fact that carpet has to be researched, is time-consuming to make, yet isn't any better than other floors is silly.

Since all colonists seem to be shoe less, I wouldn't mind if just walking onto a carpet square gave a separate "soft floor" mood increase.  Though that would be more complicated that just making it more expensive and increasing its beauty

than how is it possible that a smooth floor is 4 beauty while it doesnt cost a thing. if carpet is 2 a smooth floor shouldnt be more than 1 if even that

RemingtonRyder

I think that it would make sense for carpeting to reduce the amount of heat lost through the floor. Would partly make up for the loss of beauty!

42BelowVodka

btw diddnt stone block walls give beauty also, they dont do now so no point in replacing my walls in the mountain anymore

Teague

I think personally it should be equal to the "smooth" floor option. So really carpets are a esthetic option for people building there bases. Not that they arn't now, but it does hinder the option to do so losing half the pretty.

Boboid

Quote from: MarvinKosh on March 03, 2015, 03:47:12 PM
I think that it would make sense for carpeting to reduce the amount of heat lost through the floor. Would partly make up for the loss of beauty!

They really wouldn't do a great job of that... Carpets don't make great insulators - They're too thin. It's more that they're not fantastic at conducting heat so when you're standing on them they don't leech all the heat out of your feet.

Incidentally have any of you actually seen a smooth stone floor IRL? God damn things look gorgeous.

And it's easier to clean blood and vomit off them. Arguably the most important aspect of a floor in Rimworld.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Vexare

I made a post about this when I discovered smoothed stone flooring had a higher beauty value than stone tiles. Same as carpeting... they take effort to craft / create and install so they should offer a higher aesthetic value than smoothed flooring which requires no material or skill whatsoever.

As others have said I *think* this might be an oversight by Tynan and needs tweaked. As is, because there is a high beauty value on smoothed stone flooring and absolutely no penalty for bare chiseled rock walls, your most efficient colony method is inside a stone mountain and I'm pretty sure he wants players exploring building outside more. If so, there needs to be far higher incentive for building outside of a mountain with the higher threat and more difficult defense needs.