my issue with games like this

Started by Bainin, November 21, 2013, 05:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nasikabatrachus

Quote from: Tynan on November 22, 2013, 02:43:25 AM
Also, thinking about this more, it occurs to me that there may be a solution. You could send colonists on a quest. They leave. Several days pass. Partway through that, we freeze the colony map and go to a new map where your questing colonists are attacking a fort or something. You play that out to resolution. Then you go back to the colony map and continue playing until the colonists return and arrive. This solves the double-time problem. It's reasonably feasible. However, when people can't even cook food yet, it's a rather low priority :).

I had that idea! Or something close. I wish I had thought it through and posted it. I totally vote for this. Also, democracy.

Quote from: Galileus on November 22, 2013, 09:09:47 AM
Did people suddenly loose the ability to use quotes, or are you guys doing it on purpose? >.<

Bainin

Hmm a dwarf fortress mod does something very simular but icant remeber the name xP vehicles and stuff would be verY difficult. Maybe researching and produce tools to make the travel faster(more likly to be succesfull) would be awesome but i would not even bother iv these items could not be seen or just being on a list of equipment.
i would be awesome when there are things like massages from story teller like at the start:your explorers packing the muffalo with equipment and start teir journay. Later: your explorers tracking down some riders with a (any tracking device or skill) we may see them walk out of the map of the edge with some packed muffalos sometimes giving us a massage until they found a target (could be random or you could choose iv its a trading exploration, a mining operation, or an assult agaist raiders or else)

Yemto

I don't see the problem with generating and have the map loaded in chunks. When nothing going on, that chunk isn't loaded, and when the chunk is outside the screen it isn't rendered. I don't think the performance would we hit that hard, since it rendering is what takes up most of it.

Semmy

Quote from: Yemto on November 25, 2013, 06:25:23 PM
I don't see the problem with generating and have the map loaded in chunks. When nothing going on, that chunk isn't loaded, and when the chunk is outside the screen it isn't rendered. I don't think the performance would we hit that hard, since it rendering is what takes up most of it.

It is not just rendering.
Look at games like dwarf fortress rendering is one of the lesser processes within games like those.

When you are talking about emotions nature pathing for 100 units etc etc than gfx becomes one of the less consuming tasks.. I totally understand the problem since the game only runs on 1 core and its hard to get it into hyperthreading.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke