Rosetta Program: Translate the game

Started by Kalesin, October 03, 2013, 05:46:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kalesin

To try to give a little publicity to the game, and as an added feature, the game would be available in the widest range of languages ​​as possible.

Many of those present at the forum are of different nationalities, including Tynan guess it depends on the area where Canada, speak English and French, which is a great advantage to encourage this feature in the game.

The easiest thing would be that we had the game text in CSV and then we translate the game, and the best way to do this would be to have one person responsible for each of the languages​​, possibly the language of the former manager translate out if native language.

British

Quote from: Kalesin on October 03, 2013, 05:46:13 AM(...) possibly the language of the former manager translate out if native language.
Wait, what ?
I don't even...

I burnt too many brain cells to understand that sentence, so allow me to skip to something else :o

Translation: yes of course, as long as it's a switchage parameter in-game, and not something that is forced on people according to their computer's locale.
I hate it when a program (or a website, for that matter) decide to switch to my mother-tongue without asking me.
And it's even worse when there's no way to change it (besides said locales, or even more complicated stuff).

Jakadasnake

This concept is something that is likely already planned for future iterations and is known in English as localization. If the game is as successful as it looks like it's going to be, it will probably be localized to major regions. This thread would make a little more sense if you were asking him to consider your region for localization.

British

He most likely read the KickStarter page, noticed there was no mention of any localization whatsoever, and thus came here to inquire about it.

That makes a whole lot of sense to me...

Semmy

I wouldnt worry about localization aslong as the game isnt finished tbh.

Its  shitload of work.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

British

True, but most (if not all) of it is done by other people.
Unless our dev is fluent with 5+ languages, of course...

Semmy

Quote from: British on October 03, 2013, 08:45:07 AM
True, but most (if not all) of it is done by other people.
Unless our dev is fluent with 5+ languages, of course...

That's true.

lets just see what tynan has to offer/already has added/planned
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
Edmund Burke

Tynan

Localization won't be till after the Alpha, most likely.

It's difficult in a game with as much generated text as RimWorld (where we assemble together numbers and words to make sentences). I haven't researched deeply enough to know more than that.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Hypolite

Even if you don't do the translation now, I would suggest you look into a way of adding such translations now, because it will become harder and harder to add an internationalization features afterwards. Think of it as "Making the game translatable with only one language yet".

Kalesin

Quote from: British on October 03, 2013, 06:40:13 AM
Quote from: Kalesin on October 03, 2013, 05:46:13 AM(...) possibly the language of the former manager translate out if native language.
Wait, what ?
I don't even...

I burnt too many brain cells to understand that sentence, so allow me to skip to something else :o

Translation: yes of course, as long as it's a switchage parameter in-game, and not something that is forced on people according to their computer's locale.
I hate it when a program (or a website, for that matter) decide to switch to my mother-tongue without asking me.
And it's even worse when there's no way to change it (besides said locales, or even more complicated stuff).

I helped an automatic translator, my English level is very low.

----

The idea was that, location, and in the early levels is impossible, it was an idea I'd had, Rimworld community that could help in some or all of the process, but if the game is procedurally generated text, that's is more complicated.

British

Quote from: Kalesin on October 03, 2013, 02:53:38 PM
The idea was that, location, and in the early levels is impossible, it was an idea I'd had, Rimworld community that could help in some or all of the process, but if the game is procedurally generated text, that's is more complicated.
Indeed, that's why Hypolite's post, right before yours, makes a lot of sense: better to be in pain now and be done with it, rather than getting much more pain later, when the code is much more complex.

enystrom8734

The software I test at work is old in scope, in that all the text is hard coded. Any localization attempt will require thousands of edits to baked in web text, the handset devices as well...

Earlier is definitely better, at least the structure to support.
E Nystrom - @enystrom8734

xTAMERx

in other latin languages it would be very hard to translate,

the main problem is to translate in chinese, cyrillic, arabic or other than latin letters  ;D