FALL BACK!!!

Started by RedStorm58, February 02, 2014, 10:51:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedStorm58

In so many of my colonys I die because i can not fall back to a decent position. So i designed my colony, Ace Of Spades, to have three fall back positions. First line is on the out skirts of town, with no turrets. If that gets overwhelmed, i fall back to the second line, still with no turrets. The third and final line is right outside of the entrance with turrets, because turrets draw fire. But if that gets breached, well i am dead. So do you guys have fall back positions are anything of the like? Or are a single liner? Or do you use a kill box, like a coward?
When you're young, everything feels like the end of the world. But it's not. It's just the beginning.

Trensicourt

Don't use turrets, use blast charges. Turrets only increase the number of raiders that will come and get you.
WHAT IS RIM WORLD? A RAIDER DEATH BALL. LITERALLY.

Coenmcj

As the heavy weapon guy might say if he was on a rimworld...
BLASTING CHARGE IS CREDIT TO TEAM!
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Vastin

Turrets aren't very useful without kill boxes. They are so short range that most weapons will fire from outside their effective range, and they are trivial to hit, even with a debris barrier in place, they are also quite fragile, and pose a threat to your own nearby troops when they blow.

Without a kill box to force enemies into the turret's effective range, there is no real point in building them. They are arguably a significant detriment in most defensive layouts, unless you construct a proper kill box for them to operate in.

And yeah, blasting charges will kill far more enemies with no muss or fuss. They're kinda cheaty right now, cause the AI has no idea what to do about them.

RedStorm58

YES!!! IT WORKED!! I was playing in my special colony that i explained in the coalition post, when we were attacked by a group of 24 Raiders! I had to fall back twice and the turrets served there pirpose..... To draw fire! I never intended to actually USE them; just for them to buy my colonists a little bit of time. And i never use blasting charges. So ya maybe you should do this to. Just use turrets to draw fire.
When you're young, everything feels like the end of the world. But it's not. It's just the beginning.

Coenmcj

Heh, I've got it set up so that my troops when they retreat from the outside positions run inside and When the raiders get inside the base I have compartments of turrets inside of "Airlocks", 7x9 room with a blasting charge in the centre, with turrets behind the walls and charges set up to open the walls up.

They walk in and I have the main charge explode killing the first wave, then the rest will rush in, I detonate the second layer of explosives opening up the turrets when the enemies are halfway across the room then the chaos begins, anyone not caught in the crossfire runs back to the entrance for cover and is blown up by another charge I had just beyond the door they broke down to get in. I havn't lost a single turret to this method and it may be slightly expensive due to having to replace the doors/walls and charges but it costs alot less than having to replace human lives or turrets.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite