Tech merchant ships and construction kits

Started by Thunder Rahja, February 05, 2014, 05:13:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder Rahja

Something like this was mentioned briefly among a list of other suggestions in another thread, though I'd like to focus and expand upon it. It is something I'd like to eventually see in the game.

You're stuck with a group of stragglers, with often mismatched skills, that have some blueprints for constructing some basic things, and can research to build more. But I propose that the AI director occasionally send by a tech merchant vessel to sell construction kits. Instead of being able to buy one kit and build as many of the same advanced structure as you want, allow each kit to be used only once. A colony couldn't possibly reverse engineer advanced technologies within a reasonable time frame, and kits would contain the most sophisticated parts that couldn't be replicated otherwise. They'd be very expensive to buy, but they'd make it well worth selling your large stockpile of potatoes off to other traders that pass by. The tech is out there in the galaxy, and trading ships should make it occasionally available.

The things you could build with kits: Fusion/nuclear reactors, refineries, factories, etc... Anything that would give you a significant advantage that can't be constructed by just the limited blueprints or research of your colonists. Perhaps even geothermal generators can fit under this category. They should still cost materials to build however, as you're being provided with parts and instructions, not a complete structural housing.

Evul

I like this idea two! But in time you could also be able to build the buildings your self due to the correct resources etc. :)

Trensicourt

What if the CK you need isn't there? This would cause a big ass problem. SO NO! I will not wait 3 weeks for 1 BP that we need.
WHAT IS RIM WORLD? A RAIDER DEATH BALL. LITERALLY.

Coenmcj

I like the idea but anyone playing randy random tends to prefer if not rely on Geothermals, they are about the only stable power supply we have at the moment and making them into a one use blueprint would make RR significantly harder.
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

ApexPredator

Quote from: Trensicourt on February 05, 2014, 08:42:14 PM
What if the CK you need isn't there? This would cause a big ass problem. SO NO! I will not wait 3 weeks for 1 BP that we need.

This is a great idea that will make it so that you have to change your play style in order to accommodate the resources you have. I would expect any item you would "need" would be provided, all others are luxuries.

Thunder Rahja

Quote from: Trensicourt on February 05, 2014, 08:42:14 PM

Like I said, things that would give you a significant advantage. There is no "need" for any of them, but they're just something you'd immediately want if you find them. Think of how slave traders work. The more people you have, the less often they show up, and if you have too many, they don't show up at all. The AI director should keep a points system for the technologies you've obtained and determine whether or not you should have access to more.

monkhouse

I'd love to see something like this implemented. Something like power should be a primary concern for colonists and just being able to plop down more generators as needed blunts that somewhat. If important structures were one-shot kits that you can't always assume you'll be able to get your hands on, you'd have to make some really tough choices about what you need; harvest doesn't look too good, you were going to buy food, but ack he's got a geothermal kit, that's the first one you've seen all game. I guess the people can go hungry until you finally have enough power to run that hydro operation...

Or perhaps to make it less of a crapshoot, you can research/build basic versions of structures, but need kits for advanced models? Upgrade kits? I dunno.

TimMartland

+9000

This is a great idea, and I would love to see it implemented
'Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe, or we are not. Both are equally terrifying'
-Arthur C. Clarke'
'Needs moar boosters!'
-Jebadiah Kerman

ApexPredator

Quote from: monkhouse on February 06, 2014, 04:13:31 PM
I'd love to see something like this implemented. Something like power should be a primary concern for colonists and just being able to plop down more generators as needed blunts that somewhat. If important structures were one-shot kits that you can't always assume you'll be able to get your hands on, you'd have to make some really tough choices about what you need; harvest doesn't look too good, you were going to buy food, but ack he's got a geothermal kit, that's the first one you've seen all game. I guess the people can go hungry until you finally have enough power to run that hydro operation...

Your explanation is how I was seeing this idea explained and its value to game play.