Unfetilized eggs hatched

Started by Dr. Z, November 24, 2015, 06:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr. Z

I have five hen in my colony, no rooster. One day I had chikens. Anyone knowing how?
Prasie the Squirrel!

JimmyAgnt007

chaouki

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on November 24, 2015, 06:28:06 PM
any wild roosters?

I believe that wouldn't work, would it? I've never seen a single wild rooster anywhere and even then I thought only tamed/bought animals could breed?

zandadoum

year 5513 i haven't seen any wild rooster or any other bird animal in my current map

my 60 hens are in one room far away from my 10 roosters

and yet... from time to time the hens get fertilized somehow...

milon

^ If we can't figure it out from here, then post that in the Bugs forum and include your colony & world save file.

Did you have any roosters join you?

You have 60 hens - did you go through each individually to double-check the zoning is correct?

zandadoum

Quote from: milon on November 25, 2015, 07:41:35 AM
You have 60 hens - did you go through each individually to double-check the zoning is correct?
yes, as you can see (not all chicken fit onto one screen tho)

http://i.imgur.com/ZHp0Ym0.jpg

JimmyAgnt007

Maybe the code doesnt require the roosters to be with the hens, just that you have both in the colony and occasionally the fertilization event fires.  That would be a much easier way of programming it than having them find each other.

zandadoum

Quote from: JimmyAgnt007 on November 25, 2015, 09:21:35 AM
Maybe the code doesnt require the roosters to be with the hens, just that you have both in the colony and occasionally the fertilization event fires.  That would be a much easier way of programming it than having them find each other.
i don't think it works that way, otherwise i would have 200 fertilized eggs every single day

EDIT: i have figured out what happens in my case (as i do have roosters on the map)

sometimes a hen or rooster will get confused and wander around regardless of zone setting. and then: SURPRISE SEX and fertilized hen xD

JimmyAgnt007

Life finds a way... even if its SURPRISE SEX!

Dr. Z

Well I slaughtered all my roosters for exactly that reason. So I imagine ghost rooster suprise sex? That's some scary bullshit.
Prasie the Squirrel!

Limdood

another possibility....you have all your chicks with the hens?  Maybe a male chick grew up and fertilized some eggs before you noticed it aged up.

Dr. Z

No chickens. Only hens. And i killed the magic chickens immediately because they were male.
Prasie the Squirrel!

TLHeart

As one has said, a dazed rooster or hen will cause fertilized eggs, as zones do not matter... also if the rooster and hen zones are next to each other, they do mate at the edge of the zones. I have even seen them mate with two cells of space between.  Animals will wander 1 cell outside of their zone.