Alpha 13 - New events are gonna be hilarious

Started by RickyMartini, January 28, 2016, 12:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickyMartini

Noobshock

Happy to see people trying to survive a crashed ship haven't escaped the SJW activism -_-
Gay incestuous zoophile polyamorous marriage here we come!

Does it really have to pollute this game?

Toggle

Quote from: Noobshock on January 28, 2016, 03:35:45 PM
Happy to see people trying to survive a crashed ship haven't escaped the SJW activism -_-

... Let's play spot the troll
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

Noobshock

Stating SJW demands for "inclusion" have overreached to the point of being ridiculous  = trolling to you?

It's starting to feel like that era where every show had to have their token black dude just to show they were on board with civil rights and all, but the character wasn't necessarily relevant to the show or the universe and wasn't really adding any quality to the final product, it was just tokenism and signaling. Now we have gay/trans/polyamorous tokens instead. /snore

One of the reasons John Carpenter's "The Thing" is a pretty cool movie, with a very gloomy and desperate feel, is because there are no women at all in the movie. It's very rare, but it makes for a very cool monster movie. We couldn't have that now, not because it's not good or wouldn't make for a cool story, but because if you don't have your standard empowered woman-warrior token somewhere in there, it's not deemed "fit for consumption".

Filling every single cultural product with OH IM SO PROGRESSIVE signaling is very common atm and honestly feels forced.

Lys

Quote from: Noobshock on January 28, 2016, 03:55:41 PMIt's starting to feel like that era where every show had to have their token black dude just to show they were on board with civil rights and all, but the character wasn't necessarily relevant to the show or the universe and wasn't really adding any quality to the final product, it was just tokenism and signaling. Now we have gay/trans/polyamorous tokens instead. /snore
Well, it's stuff that exists in the real world, so why not also allow it to happen in a game? Or are you trying to say that "gay/trans/polyamorous" people don't actually exist?

Noobshock

Well if you go by OH IM SO PROGRESSIVE typical standards of inclusion, 50% of the population is homosexual and just about every woman is meant to be an ass-kicking warrior machine, which actually does not exist outside of some college students' utopian fantasy.

That's what I mean by overreaching. I don't care if it's at least somewhat realistic. But most of the time when script writers/designers go that route, they are more concerned with political signaling than something that actually resembles reality and where suspension of disbelief doesn't suffer collateral damage.

NoImageAvailable

Quote from: Noobshock on January 28, 2016, 04:13:03 PM
Well if you go by OH IM SO PROGRESSIVE typical standards of inclusion, 50% of the population is homosexual and just about every woman is meant to be an ass-kicking warrior machine, which actually does not exist outside of some college students' utopian fantasy.

That's what I mean by overreaching. I don't care if it's at least somewhat realistic. But most of the time when script writers/designers go that route, they are more concerned with political signaling than something that actually resembles reality and where suspension of disbelief doesn't suffer collateral damage.

While the PCness you describe is one of my pet peeves with modern media I didn't get that impression from Tynan's comment. It sounded more like pawns being gay is just a thing that can randomly happen same way a random wanderer joining your colony could be anything from a 16 year old war veteran to an 80 year old surgeon with amnesia. I don't see anything indicating pawns will be 50% gay (although I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case but for other reasons). So until A13 rolls around and/or there is some actual evidence supporting the theory Tynan suddenly decided the game where most colonies are sustained on human meat and leather needs to be more "family friendly" I'd say just keep calm and carry on.
"The power of friendship destroyed the jellyfish."

Adamiks

So... Tynan... You forgot to NEVER, ABSOLUTELY NEVER say word "gay" on internets....

Blame on you!

Regret

Quote from: Noobshock on January 28, 2016, 04:13:03 PM

Sources please.

Here, let me give you an example of how this is done:
http://www.tv.com/shows says the top 5 popular shows are: Game of thrones, arrow, marvel's agents of shield, grey's anatomy, and coronation street.
AFAIK none of those have even 10% homosexual characters.

http://www.imdb.com/search/title?num_votes=5000,&sort=user_rating,desc&title_type=tv_series says the top 5 is breaking bad, game of thrones, the X-files, the wire, and one punch man.
None of those have anything close to 50% homosexual characters.

Another imdb list http://www.imdb.com/chart/toptv/ says band of brothers, planet earth, breaking bad, game of thrones, the wire. Same story.

The writers guild of America calls these the top 5: The sopranos, seinfeld, the twilight zone, all in the family, and M.A.S.H. And again nowhere close to 50%, I don't think M.A.S.H. even has a single homosexual, the closest they get is one guy trying to get kicked out of the army for wearing clothing traditionally associated with women.

Other names I have seen mentioned are house of cards, and downtown abbey. I highly doubt they even come close to 5% homosexuals.

On another topic:
Don't insult Xena: Warrior Princess, that show is epic. Also, it has a less than representative amount of homosexuals (especially for ancient Greece), and most women in the show aren't ass-kicking warrior machines.

Politically correctness is shit, but don't use that as an excuse to be ignorant. Now, please die of bone cancer you pathetic unwanted spawn of the sow you call 'mother'.

Moderator here! Yeah so this fun little chunk above the red is a prime example of stuff I'll normally perm ban people for. I'm going to leave it here for a bit just as a point of reference for something you surely don't do on this forums. Now, feel free to point and laugh because his ban is for two weeks and when he comes back we're going to have a nice long chitty-chat. Keep this thread mostly friendly please! I'm not saying don't argue, but behave.

-Ramsis

Toggle

He was describing a situation which would be unlikely but hilarious, Rimworld is a storytelling game, the more variables to be mixed together into a story in it makes it more interesting generally.

Just report him for trying to start a fight and carry on.
Selling broken colonist souls for two thousand gold. Accepting cash or credit.

RickyMartini

Quote from: Noobshock on January 28, 2016, 03:35:45 PM

So Tynan said gay and you talk about SJW activism? Do you realize you're making no sense whatsoever? I can't believe people like you still exist. Though I'm still putting 10% on troll.

Dive

omg the game stories will be even more disturbing when told out of context :D And i love it

A Friend

I don't really understand this kneejerk reaction.

I don't mind stuff like these as long as the game doesn't force it into my face that it comes off as annoying pandering and negatively affects my enjoyment of the game's other features.

And what Tynan stated is obviously a joke. C'mon, y'all overreacting.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"

Coenmcj

*Rubs hands together anxiously* Oh can't wait to get into testing, this is gonna be amazing. (And totally fabulous! ;) )
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

A Friend

In other news... Now you get more incentives to name colonists after your friends.
"For you, the day Randy graced your colony with a game-ending raid was the most memorable part of your game. But for Cassandra, it was Tuesday"

Squiggly lines you call drawings aka "My Deviantart page"