[1.3] Miscellaneous w MAI+Robots

Started by Haplo, May 16, 2014, 05:54:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sens

As far as i can see from my 9 day playing with your mod, it will explode because it heals up inside a hospital bed instead recharge station. Only lost one MAI so far and they got dammaged 100x times, exploding/get dmged by "invisible force" 100x times later but i always saved them because i noticed that and responded, thought this is by design so they have to heal up in recharge stations. Other thing is, they burn and continue doing their tasks, fire goes up to 175+ and you need to save it manualy by Deactivate to Save option, never tried the just deactivate option cause to me it seemed that this is just a way to kill them safely, like shutting down a centipede, not a way to reuse them later. Never noticed any plasteel be used in recharge stations when they went there (i didnt notice, not saying it doesnt use it, just didnt notice :) )

Lately i just draft them and undraft when they are "heavily dammaged" laying inside hospital beds (at night) so they go towards their recharge stations instead, they will be fine afterwards (no extra bangs or invisible forces).

Vas

Quote from: Haplo on January 25, 2016, 06:51:31 AM
Quote from: Vas on January 24, 2016, 01:53:12 PM
Your first issue: You tried to deactivate Mai? Did you read the description? Mai, once activated, doesn't like you to mess with her programming, so will rather initiate her self destruction then let you do that.

Second issue: That sounds like a bug with my code to replace the lost limbs. ... but their was a big change and it Looks like I missed something important here.. Sorry, that is really a bug of my work.
If I can't find a solution for the Mai-limb-replace-bug, I'll at least remove the nanite assembler until I find a working solution.

Third issue: The nanite repair station is effectively a renamed and retextured Hopper. I'm not sure if I can locate the problem that's causing the Job loop, but I'll at least try to find it.

Fourth issue: To be honest, I have no idea what would cause the savegame to get corrupted, but I'll look into your savegame and try my best to find the root of this.

The cleaning bot issue: The cleaning bots use the vanilla cleaning tasks. So if your colonists will clean something, then the bot also will clean that.
The only idea I have why your bot didn't clean something is, that it may not be inside the cleaning area (homezone)?

All in all I'm sorry that you got some gamebreaking bugs and I'll definitly look into them.

1st; Maybe you can add an option to MAI that lets you install an AI chip, called "Add processor" so you can add one of those to MAI once you get it?  I mean, it would suck to have to build a new bot if you want to install a new processor basically.  It's not like you're changing her code, you're just adding more processing power.

2nd; If you can't find a solution, you could instead try replacing all limbs with one called "case" or "chassi", and give it a large amount of hitpoints to equal the total health of the bot.  If this gets too low in number, self destruct.  And then you can repair this, because it is one part that won't ever be lost.  Just a thought really, as a temporary fix in case you can't find the solution.  Also, the more damaged it is, the more overall reduction in capabilities it has, like at 10% damage, 10% reduction.

3rd; To diagnose, have it fail to repair a bit the correct way, then move it to a new location.  That's basically what happened with me.

4th; Sorry, I deleted the save game already, but I'll add MAI back in soon to test again and see if the game gets corrupted, again, and give those files to you.  I've now got 68 mods installed right now and have a game going where I'm testing everything for compatibility.  I hadn't saved manually the entire game, but the very last thing I did before I saved was added 3 more cleaning bots to the game in various areas of my base.

5th (cleaning bot) ;  I did have all of the areas marked as home zones.  I don't know why the cleaning bot wasn't cleaning properly, and sometimes would just wander around not looking for areas to clean.  I think it would wander to a far place very slowly, then clean that area after it got there, then wander again.  You might consider changing it so that it can only wander roughly 5 cells away so that it doesn't end up going to the other side of my base wanting to wander over there.  I suspect though that that'll make it stop cleaning the entire base.  I don't know why it wanders to begin with when there's still work to do, it's a robot!  It can't want a break!

I don't like how the bots appear in the colonist menu.  I'd really like them to use a different menu like the colonist work menu only named bots or MAI or some such like that.  I do miss MD2 Droids though, it had specialized droids that each cost a different thing and were constructed a specific way for each one and were specialized for their task.  I think they looked better too, not that yours looks bad, its just MD2 droids fit better with the game theme.

One other thing I don't like, is that they go to medical beds and other such things that colonists used.  MD2 droids knew how to go to their charging stations and repair areas for repairs, without confusing beds or colonists confusing robot beds for beds.  Even better that MD2 Droids could use ANY charging pad, they would automatically go to the nearest one, rather than one named for them.

I can't even see a power usage on your robot beds, do they even use power?  Same for your cleaning bots.

Also, do you have a PSD or other layered image file for your cleaning bot pad texture? I wanted to make a tweak to that that you might like that still fits with your current theme.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: Vas on January 25, 2016, 11:41:54 PM
5th (cleaning bot) ;  I did have all of the areas marked as home zones.  I don't know why the cleaning bot wasn't cleaning properly, and sometimes would just wander around not looking for areas to clean.  I think it would wander to a far place very slowly, then clean that area after it got there, then wander again.  You might consider changing it so that it can only wander roughly 5 cells away so that it doesn't end up going to the other side of my base wanting to wander over there.  I suspect though that that'll make it stop cleaning the entire base.  I don't know why it wanders to begin with when there's still work to do, it's a robot!  It can't want a break!

I'm not sure how easy it'd be to implement, or how much Haplo fancies working on it,
but two things would be great for the bots, the little ones I mean.

First, the ability to manually set an area like that of the recipes. That way we could keep the cleanerbots in specific areas if needed, like the front door where the most dirt accumulates in my games, or around the butcher table.
They seem to behave exactly like colonists, (with free time to wander around?...), but unlike colonists, these droids are slow asF, and cannot be restricted to certain zones.
They're small floor cruisers so I don't mind them being slow...unless they want to go to the other side of the map to clean something, which often results in the bot essentially cleaning nothing at all.
[Side note: Now that I think about it, I've seen a "no cleaning" mod by...someone, I'll try that and report back.]
About the haulers; they do not have this problem. They're fast enough to reach any part of the map, and even if they "wander" due to the lack of haulables, they do it much faster than cleanerbots, and so they can start working again sooner.
But I'd like to be able to restrict them too.
Not because they waste energy trying to haul something from the other side of the map, but because doing so might just gets them killed.

Second, the wandering is really not needed IMO.
As for now, I manually disable the haulers (mostly because I have 11 of them, as opposed to 3 cleaners ;)), because they all "gather around" tables.
One or two isn't a problem, but they do add to the "crowded" debuff with their presence,
also they often leave their work because they need recharging.

If, with the lack of things to clean/haul, they could just go back recharging, well that'd be great. ;D

Haplo

Just FYI: You CAN set an restriction area for the bots. just not in the area overview, as the bots aren't in the pawns list, but in the bot view itself. just click on their area and you can set it to a new restriction area.

The wandering is just a problem of my laziness. Because I didn't want to write an own wander Job that would be more realistical, I've added the colonist wander routine to them. This is something on my to-do-when-I-have-free-time-list :)

Vas

If I restrict the MAI bots, they can't do their job anymore.  Also, I've noticed issues with areas in the game that are really bothering me and breaking game play.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

LittleGreenStone

Quote from: Haplo on January 26, 2016, 03:11:06 AM
Just FYI: You CAN set an restriction area for the bots. just not in the area overview, as the bots aren't in the pawns list, but in the bot view itself. just click on their area and you can set it to a new restriction area.

The wandering is just a problem of my laziness. Because I didn't want to write an own wander Job that would be more realistical, I've added the colonist wander routine to them. This is something on my to-do-when-I-have-free-time-list :)

Oooooh...  :-[
I would've sworn that those were but indicators.
One less inconvenience, thanks for the tip!

Vas

Haplo

Hmm, the screenshot doesn't say much. He has a reference to a missing thingDef and a few NullRefExceptions, but nothing that can be followed without the output_log.txt.
But it could be the compression error with the missing thingDef. But what ever causes that.. don't know, sorry. :(
The missing thingDef may be the cause for the following errors. I'm not sure, but the Object ref errors point to that.
Unfortunately I have no idea how to fix this, as it seems that the hash for the thingDef is calculated somehow from the compressed map data and I have no idea how. So no way for me to find the place to edit to fix this save..

I've tried the simplest thing I could think of, adding a random thing with the missing hash number, but ain't sure it will work. But I can't test it here, as I don't want to download all your mods :)

You can try if it does work, but I think it won't.
Sorry I can't really help with compressing errors as the code for that can't be extracted with my tools.

[attachment deleted due to age]

Vas

Yea, I forgot to attach the output log, I did it in the modding channel you spoke of before and no one there could figure out what exactly was causing it.  File didn't work by the way.  I tried diagnosing by removing mods, but the issue is it takes hours of gameplay to cause the break, so I can't diagnose because I have over 60 mods and it would be extremely difficult to diagnose like that.  Especially if the random event or whatever it is doesn't happen during the mod that is glitched after hours of gameplay.

Haplo

Quote from: Vas on January 25, 2016, 11:41:54 PM
Also, do you have a PSD or other layered image file for your cleaning bot pad texture? I wanted to make a tweak to that that you might like that still fits with your current theme.

Oh, I nearly forgot.. Here you are :)

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Vas

The texture turns into a black spot after the bot leaves, I'm talking about when the bot is out of the station.  :P

Haplo

That should be this texture, just with the bot layer invisible. :)

Haplo

Here is a small update:

MAI:
MAI shouldn't explode anymore while healing in an hospital bed.

Miscellaneous:
I've improved the MapGenerator, so that it doesn't always cut squares out of mountains. Now the blueprints will embed themself more naturaly into mountains :)
While doing this I've added a new blueprint to the collection.

Attached pictures:
1. The result of the new blueprint
2. The improved mapgenerator embedded the blueprint partially into a mountain

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]

Vas

Oh hah, I opened it in the wrong viewer and forgot about layers xP

As for your update; I won't use MAI anymore.  It doesn't work the way I like from MD2 Droids.  It confuses the colonists and the MAI bot also confuses hospital beds.  It gets to be a hassle really.  I may try out Misc though.  After I finish testing everything on my current save to see if I can find that game corrupting bug.

EDIT: Here is the newer texture I was working on to make it look a little better when the bot isn't on the charging pad.  :P  Click the image to get the layered file, I couldn't export as PSD, only XCF. (This file may not be on my dropbox long, basically will remove once you confirm you have it.)

Haplo

Thanks for your work. But I'm not sure if I'll replace the original with your version.
I've attached a direct comparism from ingame. Maybe I'll modify it a little bit if I'm allowed to?

For your .psd-problem: You're using GIMP aren't you?
If you save it there, you have indeed only XCF as a possibility.
But you can also Export the picture and there you'll have the option to export to PSD :)